Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Wheelchair, GAC, Disneyland Questions

Hey all thank you so much for your help with what to do about world of color. I have some more planning questions. On Disneylands website it says that you can rent outside the park or at hotel for wheelchairs, should I count on being able to get one Labor Day weekend or should we rent from someplace off site? Also at WDW we never get the GAC but should we get one for Disneyland?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch_lover_Sith View Post
Hey all thank you so much for your help with what to do about world of color. I have some more planning questions. On Disneylands website it says that you can rent outside the park or at hotel for wheelchairs, should I count on being able to get one Labor Day weekend or should we rent from someplace off site? Also at WDW we never get the GAC but should we get one for Disneyland?
I find that the two parks (WDW and DL) are so very different it is hard to judge whether or not you need a GAC. When I first started going to DL, I used a WC but not a GAC in WDW, so I did the same without a problem in DL.

Most lines are not entirely accessible in DL, so ask the CM at the entrance or get a guide for guests with disabilities (just like the Florida ones) to tell you which entrance to use with a wheelchair.

DCA is completely accessible, so just go into the standard queue, or get a FP.

I would rent off-site for a holiday weekend. DL runs out of wcs frequently, and if you rent from them you can NOT use it in Downtown Disney, the Hotel, or anywhere other than inside security in the two parks. There are no courtesy wheelchairs to get from parking to the trams or the entrance. If you cannot walk quite a distance to get a wc (from a hotel through security to the rental counter, or from a car to a tram/bus to the pathway through security, to the rental line), then definitely rent off site.

Also, offsite chairs tend to be better, and you can have the sized appropriately. DL chairs, you get whatever size is available.

I have seen some people with wheelchairs from the resort hotels (the 3 DL owns, not the good neighbor hotels), but they appear to be in even worse condition. Last time we tried pushing a wc, my wife ended up hurting her back, and she pushes me in my chair all the time for the last 4 1/2 years!

So, my vote is: rent off site, and if a wc meets your needs, you will not need a GAC. If you change your mind, you can always go back and get a GAC.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
50surgeries2012
Mouseketeer

Smile

My husband, our support provider, and I are going to Disneyland in April. I had been wondering the same thing. I'll be bringing my own wheelchair which works a lot better for me than having to rent one off-site. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

I don't think you would need a GAC for Disneyland as for the older rides at the park. You can just enter at the exit. At least I think it's still that way as that's what I remember from when I went to Disneyland in 2001 with my transition group class. Not unless they changed the older rides to be the same as the older rides at Disney World after the rehab.

I think from what I've heard that they do have the FastPass system at Disneyland like they do at Disney World.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Be aware that FP is fairly useless in DL because not all FP lines are accessible. Star tours is fine but even if you have a fp for space mountain, you have to wait in the wc line. So check with the cm before getting a fp that you can actually use it.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: