Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Trying to find my commitment side

I need to lose weight, I want to lose weight but I can't seem to find my commitment side. I make it like 3 days and something happens to get me off track and I fall apart.

I have chronic pain issues and I think that is the biggest factor in my getting off track. Not sure how to figure this one out....any suggestion that might have worked for you. I'm trying to figure it out.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Myfitnesspal.com

Instead of trying to totally change everything overnight start with manageable changes. Maybe something like adding a veggie to every meal, giving up sugary drinks, walking 15 min a day.

When you have made a habit of one, start another. Small changes make a big difference over time.

Good Luck.
SLP958 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
zurgswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP958 View Post
Myfitnesspal.com

Instead of trying to totally change everything overnight start with manageable changes. Maybe something like adding a veggie to every meal, giving up sugary drinks, walking 15 min a day.

When you have made a habit of one, start another. Small changes make a big difference over time.

Good Luck.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Are you having back pain?

Justice For Travis
usnuzuloose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
zurgswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Are you having back pain?
It's back pain, IT band pain, Psoas Major muscle pain....in my left leg..

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Cruisin
If you can't carry it, you don't need it
I keep on posting to things just so I can look at my tags
I love my Captain Mickey antenna topper!

Before you eat anything stop and think about whether you are really hungry.

If you decide that you really are hungry then eat something but if you are not hungry just eating for a different reason try to hold off on the eating for awhile.
Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

Ugg I hear you. This is what works for me:

1) Visualization. Just close your eyes and consider how you will feel tomorrow if you cave in and eat junk. Then think about how good you will feel if you don't and play through the reprecussions. You can do the same thing with working out to help get yourself motivated when you really don't want to work out.

2) Gum and Water. Drink a nice full glass of water and chew a few sticks of sugar free gum. Can trick your mind!

3) Healthy snacks. Don't starve yourself. Have fresh veggies and fruits on hand and snack on that. Its much harder to stay on course if you are famished.

4) Go for a lazy walk, if you feel like it walk a bit faster. The hardest part about exercise seems to be starting... if you just say.. hey I'm going to take it easy, no big deal, then at a minimum you get a little work in. But its a lot easier to go from there to a more aerobic type work out.

Little by little.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
It's back pain, IT band pain, Psoas Major muscle pain....in my left leg..
I have the same issue, I joined curves and started working out. I leave certain machines alone due to my sciatica. They now have a great program which includes a website for all your meals. You sit down with a coach once a week. I am feeling so much better. The choices for meals are good. They list options for restaurants and what you can have. I have problems committing also, but this way I am held accountable.

Justice For Travis
usnuzuloose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
zurgswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I have the same issue, I joined curves and started working out. I leave certain machines alone due to my sciatica. They now have a great program which includes a website for all your meals. You sit down with a coach once a week. I am feeling so much better. The choices for meals are good. They list options for restaurants and what you can have. I have problems committing also, but this way I am held accountable.
I did join LA fitness in October...just trying to be consistent. I've cut back on what I was doing per my dr. as he felt the stuff I was doing (swimming, yoga and free weights) was irritating my issues. I'm doing a rucumbent bike...which seems to take some of the stress off my back...but the psoas muscle issue per research probably is the cause of all my back issues...

Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
zurgswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin View Post
Before you eat anything stop and think about whether you are really hungry.

If you decide that you really are hungry then eat something but if you are not hungry just eating for a different reason try to hold off on the eating for awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForMyBoys View Post
Ugg I hear you. This is what works for me:

1) Visualization. Just close your eyes and consider how you will feel tomorrow if you cave in and eat junk. Then think about how good you will feel if you don't and play through the reprecussions. You can do the same thing with working out to help get yourself motivated when you really don't want to work out.

2) Gum and Water. Drink a nice full glass of water and chew a few sticks of sugar free gum. Can trick your mind!

3) Healthy snacks. Don't starve yourself. Have fresh veggies and fruits on hand and snack on that. Its much harder to stay on course if you are famished.

4) Go for a lazy walk, if you feel like it walk a bit faster. The hardest part about exercise seems to be starting... if you just say.. hey I'm going to take it easy, no big deal, then at a minimum you get a little work in. But its a lot easier to go from there to a more aerobic type work out.

Little by little.
Thanks I'll keep both of these suggestions in mind.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
I have chronic pain issues and I think that is the biggest factor in my getting off track. Not sure how to figure this one out....any suggestion that might have worked for you. I'm trying to figure it out.
I have chronic health issues, and IME, the issues isn't avoiding getting off track. I had to realize that I WAS going to get off track and have a plan that accommodated that and encouraged me to get back on track. My body can't do what I want it to do, and I had to come to terms with that.

So on days I can, I eat well and exercise. On days I can't exercise, I try to eat well. On days I can't eat well, I try to exercise. On days I can't do either - I try to minimize the damage. It's slower - but that's ok. If I lose 10lb in a year - that's better than not losing anything.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
zurgswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnball View Post
I have chronic health issues, and IME, the issues isn't avoiding getting off track. I had to realize that I WAS going to get off track and have a plan that accommodated that and encouraged me to get back on track. My body can't do what I want it to do, and I had to come to terms with that.

So on days I can, I eat well and exercise. On days I can't exercise, I try to eat well. On days I can't eat well, I try to exercise. On days I can't do either - I try to minimize the damage. It's slower - but that's ok. If I lose 10lb in a year - that's better than not losing anything.
That's a good way to look at it.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

You do not have to do a ton of exercise to lose weight. It will make you healthier to be more active, but just do what you can. Don't think you have to do an hour on the treadmill! Losing weight is mostly about changing your diet and watching your calories.

Also, don't try to cut out too much or reduce your calories to some stupid low amount. I eat 1650 calories a day (plus a fraction of my workout calories) and I am still losing 6-8 lbs a month. I also still eat pizza, burgers, fries, cupcakes, and all that goodness in moderation. I track my food and calories on My Fitness Pal.

Where I see people failing is when they try to do too much at once and try to cut out too much. They end up not happy because they really want a slice of pizza, but pizza is "bad" and won't fit in their "diet" of rabbit food. Remember that losing weight is also psychological. You won't want to stick with it if it feels like a punishment.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Quote:
I need to lose weight, I want to lose weight but I can't seem to find my commitment side. I make it like 3 days and something happens to get me off track and I fall apart.

Chronic pain? Go Gluten Free. Best thing I have done for my chronic joint pain. Can't believe the difference.

I am one of those exercise haters. I make it about 3 days too and then decide I need a day off and then it is weeks before I get back. Can't wait til it warms up here in the central US so I can get back to couch to 5 k.
good luck.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
tianna26
Mouseketeer

Ok im having the same issue just ordered insanity waiting for it to show up trying to give up coke, choclate & carmel lattes plan on starting soon thinking about trying smash diet good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: