Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Tinkerbell0614
Disney Fanatic!! :)

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Cruising while pregnant

Hey all! I know Disney says you can't sail after you enter your 24th week of pregnancy but how do they confirm that? A friend of mine sailed recently and saw a woman who was absolutely way past 24 weeks. So how does Disney handle that? I ask because my husband and I will be hopefully around he 23 rd week when we sail in September if all goes to plan and I am afraid of being turned away. Thanks guys!!

Disney Crazy Family of Four!

Tinkerbell0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

In the early years, DCL required a form from the doc. Now, they no longer do that, but it is always to your benefit to carry a letter along. A scribble on a prescription pad goes a long way.

Now....there is no way you can look at a pregnant belly and date the pregnancy from that. The person your friend saw could have been carrying twins, could have been large with many previous pregnancies, etc. I agree that one might attempt a guess, but it is nothing more than that.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell0614 View Post
Hey all! I know Disney says you can't sail after you enter your 24th week of pregnancy but how do they confirm that? A friend of mine sailed recently and saw a woman who was absolutely way past 24 weeks. So how does Disney handle that? I ask because my husband and I will be hopefully around he 23 rd week when we sail in September if all goes to plan and I am afraid of being turned away. Thanks guys!!
It's really the honor system. But I agree with PP, a little note from the doctor wouldn't hurt.

Also agree, you can't tell by looking. All of my pregnancies, by the time I delivered (past due date on each of them), I "looked" about 5 months pregnant. And the babies were all over 7 pounds.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Tinkerbell0614
Disney Fanatic!! :)

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Sadly the woman told her she was due roughly in five weeks but she didn't want to miss out on the cruise but otherwise I completely agree you can't tell by looking. As for me I wouldn't even remotely feel right cruising past 24 weeks if Disney doesn't allow it. I love Disney too much to take advantage! But thank you all for the info! I know to have a note just in case.

Disney Crazy Family of Four!

Last edited by Tinkerbell0614; 02-16-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Tinkerbell0614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i flew around the world when i was pregnant - i spent my 4th through my 8th months traveling (europe, india, taiwan, hong kong, japan, the US)....and got home for my 9th month...

probably explains why DD loves to travel so much!!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Mizzcoreta
Earning My Ears

I'm getting a note from my doctor. I'll be 22 weeks at time of sailing, I really don't want to spend the money just to be turned away if they think I'm farther along than I will be. It also says on the website that you cannot be entering your 24 week, so I would say don't book after 23 weeks to be on the safe side.
sorry just reread your post and saw the thing about 23 weeks lol
Old 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

i forgot to mention that i refused to go through any electronic devices when i was pregnant and instead opted for hand pat downs...
the only place i had trouble with this was in india....but even there i managed to finally get them to let me bypass the electronic scanner...
Old 02-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

I cruised when I was right around the 23 - 24 week mark. At that time I needed a doctor's note. Even if they don't require it, I would still get it.

Why do ALL of the cruise lines have a cut off date for pregnant ladies? For the most part, a women with a healthy pregnancy is less of a risk than say, a senior citizen, or someone who will be consuming a lot of alcohol or other "risky" behaviors. But, if the women should have some pregnancy related issue, the ships medical centers are NOT equipped to handle these emergencies. A women who goes in to preterm labor would most likely have to be evacuated off the ship. This is especially important when the fetus has reached the "age" of viability (A miscarriage at 11 weeks, there is really that can be done to save the pregnancy, while labor at 26 weeks, is a CRITICAL emergency, where the life of the fetus and mother are in peril.)

As for the actual cruise, I had a wonderful time. I did not consume any "adult" drinks, although they had some wonderful "virgin" cocktails, and I didn't have to be so worried about how much I was eating! The hardest part was the airports and having to schlep all of luggage and a 20 month old toddler around!

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Bears View Post

Why do ALL of the cruise lines have a cut off date for pregnant ladies?
You kind of answered your own question. The medics on board typically have what is needed to treat minor things that can come along with drinking or old age. However they don't have any of the required things for labor and delivery especially of premature labor. Imagine having to have your baby in a hospital in the Bahamas. That would be a disaster of a situation especially with citizenship of the baby at that point. Also 9 times out of 10 the medical flights off a boat take you to the nearest hospital so that may not be an American hospital.

I'm sure they post that women past a certain week aren't allowed to cruise because then they aren't held legally liable in the event anything happens. Is there not a section of the health questioner that asks how far along you are? If you lie and something happens than the cruise line can't be held responsible.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
You kind of answered your own question. The medics on board typically have what is needed to treat minor things that can come along with drinking or old age. However they don't have any of the required things for labor and delivery especially of premature labor. Imagine having to have your baby in a hospital in the Bahamas. That would be a disaster of a situation especially with citizenship of the baby at that point. Also 9 times out of 10 the medical flights off a boat take you to the nearest hospital so that may not be an American hospital.

I'm sure they post that women past a certain week aren't allowed to cruise because then they aren't held legally liable in the event anything happens. Is there not a section of the health questioner that asks how far along you are? If you lie and something happens than the cruise line can't be held responsible.
i wouldn't want to give birth in the bahamas - but just to comment on your citizenship comment - it doesn't matter where your baby is born, if both of you are americans, so is your baby...
and your baby can even be president if that's what's worrying you...
you have to be a "natural born american" to be president...
that means born an american, not born on american soil...

so citizenship is NOT a question....but i agree, i wouldn't want to give birth in the bahamas or mexico..
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
In the early years, DCL required a form from the doc. Now, they no longer do that, but it is always to your benefit to carry a letter along. A scribble on a prescription pad goes a long way.

Now....there is no way you can look at a pregnant belly and date the pregnancy from that. The person your friend saw could have been carrying twins, could have been large with many previous pregnancies, etc. I agree that one might attempt a guess, but it is nothing more than that.
I sailed on Magic when it was less than 2 years old (back in 2000) and never needed a note from my doctor. I was about 20 weeks, but it was with my third and I was huge. The only person who said anything was my massage therapist (I had a leg/foot massage because they don't do pregnancy massages).

But if you can get a doctor's note, it will prevent any potential problems.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
i wouldn't want to give birth in the bahamas - but just to comment on your citizenship comment - it doesn't matter where your baby is born, if both of you are americans, so is your baby...
and your baby can even be president if that's what's worrying you...
you have to be a "natural born american" to be president...
that means born an american, not born on american soil...

so citizenship is NOT a question....but i agree, i wouldn't want to give birth in the bahamas or mexico..
There are extra steps you have to go through if your child is born abroad even if both parents are American citizens. I know you at least have to go to the embassy to report the birth and start the paper work end of it all.

I didn't mention anything about being president or anything but that is even tricky. I read two different government sources and they provided kind of grey areas on that subject. I could care less about my kid being the president one day or not I care more about the fact that I would be in a foreign country and having to deal with the embassy and such and all the extra expenses before I could go home with my new born and enjoy that time.

This is also assuming there were no birth issues. I couldn't imagine having a full term baby that still needed a NICU for some reason and being in a country I don't know. I would go as far to say that I wouldn't even want to have my kids abroad in say London. I know they have great facilities and hospitals but it isn't anything I know and would be added stress to the situation.

Just wondering does pregnancy fall under the preexisting condition clause of travel insurance?
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran

I had a baby at 24 weeks. She had a 33% chance of survival at 24 week in a level 3 NICU (now her chances would be about 50%), but there is no way a 24 weeker lives if not receiving the most advanced medical care available in the world, and that care just isn't available on a ship.

There was an expectant mother on our cruise at Christmas. I do think she was well beyond 24 weeks. She was a very small woman and her belly was huge. If she was below 24 weeks, there is no way she'd be able to walk by 36 weeks (or breathe or eat). Her choice to take the risk.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

I cruised this past sept at 23/24 weeks pregnant. I embarked at 23 weeks and turned 24 weeks part way through. They did not ask, check or anything. I did bring my medical records, for the incase something happened and that did state due date and such.

So really nothing to worry about since they don't do anything. When you do online check in all it asks if anyone in your party is 24 weeks or more on embarkation.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #15
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
Just wondering does pregnancy fall under the preexisting condition clause of travel insurance?

yes, pregnancy is a pre-existing condition...
there are policies that you can get that cover pre-existing conditions, however, i don't know if pregnancy is included..
i had a policy in the fall that covered everything, pre-existing or not...however, i didn't specifically check if pregnancy was covered since that wasn't the relevant issue for me..

Last edited by disneyholic family; 02-17-2013 at 04:40 AM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: