Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Block Island
Earning My Ears

Booked AKL w/Expedia this good or bad?

So we were desperate for quick good flights for April and booked air and AKL with Expedia. What is the best way to get park tickets now? We just have a standard room, so will we be looking at the parking lot? Any chance to get a better room without high cost upgrade?
Block Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

I book through Expedia all the time. Just buy your tickets from the concierge at the AKL (if you are doing less than 3 days at the parks or leaving within the next couple days), or if you have some time before your trip, order them from Undercover Tourist, or another authorized ticket seller. No big deal!

I have no idea about room upgrades, but somewhere on your Expedia itinerary/confirmation, there should be a Disney resort # as well. You can use that to register your reservation on the Disney website, and then do online check-in as you normally would, and put requests on there.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

If you're not looking to add dining (and I don't know what the rules are for packages like the one you bought- if you can add dining?) Undercover Tourist will be your best bet for tickets.

As for room upgrades- you'd have to call Expedia and see if there is a pool view upgrade available, and what the cost would be. Otherwise just wait until you get to the resort, and when you check in ask how much it would be to upgrade to a pool view.

I'm not suggesting Savannah simply because it tends to be a pricy upgrade

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

A couple of years ago I booked a studio at BLT through expedia (2 nights) and they upgraded us to a 2br (wowsers). So, upgrades are possible for those booking through Expedia.

I am a big fan of the savannah view at AKL, but I will tell you that for our last trip (been there 4 times with SV), we rarely spent time on our patio watching the animals. Great resort to explore, and plenty of places to watch. Don't sweat the view!
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
SnapesGirl
Mouseketeer

Depending on when you're going, I would buy the tickets through Undercover Tourist. We've used them for the past 2 trips. They had the best price and we received the tickets in about 2 weeks. So if you're not leaving for a while, definitely get your tickets through them!

May 2015 - Art of Animation; May 2014 - Art of Animation (TRIP REPORT) ; April 2012 - Offsite; September 2011 - Offsite; April 2011 - Offsite; May 2001 - Offsite; September 1999 - Fort Wilderness Cabin

SnapesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I have booked through Expedia a few times, and your chances of a random upgrade are the same as if you'd booked through Disney. Random upgrades are pretty rare though, and if you're going to get one, the decision has usually already been made by Disney before you even get there.

If looking at the parking lot is a real issue for you, then I would contact Expedia and see if you can change your reservation to the next level (I think it's pool view). However, my experience with Disney resorts is that typically there is landscaping and other things between you and the parking lot so it's not just a pavement view. It's sort of a tree view, or hedge view or something like that. I've stayed in the standard view wing rooms at CR many times in rooms that faced the parking lot and the parking lot was never the first thing to catch my eye.

There are so many places to view the animals at AKL, and so much to do around the resort, that the standard view rooms aren't all that bad.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block Island View Post
So we were desperate for quick good flights for April and booked air and AKL with Expedia. What is the best way to get park tickets now? We just have a standard room, so will we be looking at the parking lot? Any chance to get a better room without high cost upgrade?
If you booked your room through Expedia, you'll need to contact them to see if you can upgrade your room category. If you wait until you arrive at AKL, upgrades will be at rack rate. Disney offers specials in advance of arrival, but not on the day of.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Block Island
Earning My Ears

Thank you!!! No longer sweating parking lot view and contacting undercover tourist now! You guys are the best!!
Block Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Just a hint- if you request a room on the Giraffe trail, you'll be looking out over the valet parking (not exactly scenic) But, and BIG BUT- you'll be close to the "secret door" that dumps you out near your buses. If staring at the valet lot is not your idea of scenic, the pool view on Giraffe Trail is only about $10/night more.

It will save you approximately 100 steps outside in the heat/rain/cold

ETA: here's a link describing the secret door
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....trail+bus+stop

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: