Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
posh*tots* resale
Sleeping Beauty Junkie

WhY is ~DiSnEy~ so CROWDED in *FeBrUaRy*?????

I've been watching the boards the last few weeks & have noticed a LOT of posts on how CROWDED all the parks have been & how long wait times are for rides!!! I just don't get it!! Do you think this is because MANY of the people are on the FREE DINING PROMO that ends March 7th????? That's all I can think of. We've done FREE DINING in Sept. 2007, 2009 & 2011 & even at THAT time never experienced wait times such as those that are being posted. We are going May 4-12 are are PAYING for dining this time around (really goes against my grain to do this) but I'm hoping & PRAYING that the parks aren't as busy as NOW since the FREE DINING promo & SPRING BREAK will be over. UGH!!!

2014 Pop Century 2013 Pop Century
2011 Port Orleans Riverside
2009 Port Orleans Riverside 2007 Pop Century
1985, 1984 & 1978 Off-Site
Me (43) DH (47) DS(9) DD(8)
posh*tots* resale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
beccasmom
DIS Veteran

WDW is traditionally not very busy in early February, but the pace picks up around the middle of the month. There is the long Federal holiday for many folks and Spring Break for many others. I would think this weekend is indeed "lively".

Early May should be fine based on our experiences.

beccasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

I'd say you should be fine that time of May -although the "off" periods are becoming more rare.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
DisneyDad222
Earning My Ears

I grew up in Mass and lived in NH for 10 years before moving to NC last year. Mass and NH both have school vacations in Feb, the last two weeks of the month. This was when the bulk of my friends/family would travel to Disney - it was the best way to avoid the snow. Summers were never good times to head down because ofthe crowds and the extreme heat compared to new England summers.
9/11 - CBR - DS's first trip with dw, grandma and nana - free dining, mnsshp, found out week before the dw was preggers again....
3/13 - BWV here we come...DD's first trip at 10mos old! Yikes...
DisneyDad222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Pier60
Mouseketeer

This is not good news. Im going next week.
Pier60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
WishesLuv
Earning My Ears

We just got back and it really wasn't that bad. Sure from about 12-4 it was very busy but if you just get there at opening you should be okay. It felt a lot slower than when we were there in May. There seemed to be a lot of Brazilian groups and groups from Louisiana but it felt absolutely manageable!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
baboo800
Earning My Ears

why do you have random words in capitals

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
baboo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Why so busy? Massive cheerleading and dance competitions + Massive South American Tour Groups + Mardis Gras which is an extended holiday for many states in driving or quick flying distance. And then we have Presidents Week which has always been mentioned as being very busy since I have been a member of these boards. That brings is very significant numbers. And finally the Tinkerbell half marathon which will not jam the parks much, but I am sure many people make a family vacation out of it.

Let's not forget the new Fantasyland is a big draw and local visitors on the weekends.

The thing is, when I planned my 2011 trip everyone said how busy most of the month was going to be because of most of these factors. And they were right. It was also reflected in all of the crowd calendars. Save for a string of days here or there, the crowd predictions for this month have been the same. So I don't know why there have been so many more posts about how busy it was, but I would imagine some of that has to do with people assuming it was going to be quiet.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier60 View Post
This is not good news. Im going next week.
My sons' old high school band is leaving for WDW in about 4 hours. I was part of the last two trips and did almost all the planning for the one 3 years ago.

The other two trips were a week later and had much lower crowds (3's maybe a 4)

I have been giving them pointers about the trip and the biggest one was get there early. Its a small group and only one bus but the last day at DHS the director lets them sleep in and they only get to the park around 10:00 .

For their Epcot day they have a class in the morning and maybe are done by 12:30.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
dalayney
Mouseketeer

We're flyout out Sat Feb 23rd for 10 days. We're now following easywdw touring/crowd calender and avoiding the EMH parks like the plague. (which so goes against my train of thought. ) Last time we went, EMHours were pure heaven! But.. that was 8 years ago. Hoping his crowd calender and suggested parks works. We're also packing for temps anywhere from 40-85 degrees. Hoping for the best!

January 2005 offsite
January 2007 ALL STAR MOVIES
Febuary/March 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS
Planning our first ever "no kids" WDW trip December 2015~
dalayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalayney View Post
We're flyout out Sat Feb 23rd for 10 days. We're now following easywdw touring/crowd calender and avoiding the EMH parks like the plague. (which so goes against my train of thought. ) Last time we went, EMHours were pure heaven! But.. that was 8 years ago. Hoping his crowd calender and suggested parks works. We're also packing for temps anywhere from 40-85 degrees. Hoping for the best!
We leave the night before. I think we'll be good with the strategy you mentioned. The weekends are going to feel busier but the rest of the week should be good according to the research I did. Plus I have been this week in 2011 and it was the only week that month that wasn't too bad.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Feb is a lot of things. I think the cheap window ends this past weekend, up north here everybody is on vacation, and then there's the various holiday weekends that tend to bump up attendance, as well as the general draw that is the new FL. Then the Flower and Garden thing starts up, more vacations, etc etc.

There is no widespread Free Dining promotion running right now that I have seen or heard of, so it's not that. Free dining will not be a widespread promotion this year, with the possible exception of September.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
hotcarib
DIS Veteran

Feb. 2013
2-3 Dance
9-10 Cheer
12 Mardi Gras
15-18 Twirl
15-18 President's Day Soccer Fest
18-21 Live with Kelly
22-24 Princess 1/2 Marathon
22-28March Spring Training
This doesn't take into account random tour groups, school bands, random early spring breaks and the allure of new Fantasyland

hotcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Wilds View Post
Feb is a lot of things. I think the cheap window ends this past weekend, up north here everybody is on vacation, and then there's the various holiday weekends that tend to bump up attendance, as well as the general draw that is the new FL. Then the Flower and Garden thing starts up, more vacations, etc etc.

There is no widespread Free Dining promotion running right now that I have seen or heard of, so it's not that. Free dining will not be a widespread promotion this year, with the possible exception of September.
We are booked with a FD pin code, but I agree, I doubt there were enough of them to really have much of an impact.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
We are booked with a FD pin code, but I agree, I doubt there were enough of them to really have much of an impact.
Yeah, I booked in Jan with a FD pin, but those weren't widespread. Not even the BB offer was FD, it was 30% savings. Judging by crowds, they don't need the widespread FD this year. I know we were told it'd be seriously cut back to nonexistent for this year and next.
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: