Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #46
disykat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Washington State
Posts: 17,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Oh honey get RID of the air freshers!!!! That would be a deal breaker for us right there.
My first thought at well. If the house had a strong odor, we turned around and walked right out.

Even the house we did end up buying had an odor - a slight baby powder smell. Two years after we moved in we STILL smelled it when returning from a vacation where the house had been closed up.

We'll be even MORE careful about smells if we ever buy again.
__________________
DL - 1966,1974,2007 WDW 1987,
WDW/BRB 12/90 Honeymoon, DW/DCL 07/01 family 10th Ann, WDW 12/10 family 20th anniversary
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #47
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!
 
ksjayhawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Metro KC, Kansas Side
Posts: 3,278

Have you toured any of the other houses that are for sale in the neighborhood your mom's house is in? If not, I would suggest doing this so you can see what the competition has to offer. Do those houses have granite, hardwood floors, better quality appliances?

If so, you might want to consider making some of the upgrades as it will make the house look move in ready to potential buyers.

I assume your realtor has run comps on these houses and shown them to you? Short sales can really hurt your sale price, too. I would suggest visiting them as well, to check on their condition and what they have to offer.

I am not crazy about incentives. I am like some of the other posters who say they wonder what else could be wrong in the house if you are offering an incentive for certain things. Better to take that money and fix these items--countertop, floors, etc--to make the house as move in ready as possible. I also agree with getting rid of the air freshners!
__________________
Live Laugh Love
ksjayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #48
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
You know, one other thing that crossed my mind that could help as much as decreasing the price is staging. Even if you can't afford a professional stager, you may be able to use furniture and accessories you currently have or borrow some from friends/relatives. It's definitely something to think about.
This is what I was going to suggest. An empty house shows a lot different than a house with nice furnishings and decor. Makes it much more inviting, cozy, and warm. It's all about perception. Put the effort into professional staging - they may be able to bring in the furniture themselves - and I'll bet you see a different response from the showings.

And what are you covering up with the air fresheners? Did they have animals?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #49
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal

This is what I was going to suggest. An empty house shows a lot different than a house with nice furnishings and decor. Makes it much more inviting, cozy, and warm. It's all about perception. Put the effort into professional staging - they may be able to bring in the furniture themselves - and I'll bet you see a different response from the showings.

And what are you covering up with the air fresheners? Did they have animals?
There is a myth that the smell of something baking makes a house seem more welcoming. I think there is some truth to it, but I don't think it's going to sway anyone's decision.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
'14 - Pop
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #50
shortbun
Peacenik
 
shortbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: The Heart of It All!
Posts: 18,708

3 years ago, we redid our whole kitchen. I had a colorist/designer help me pick the very best low cost cupboards, granite tile(tile not sheet) counter tops, paint. We also refurbished our bathroom and had the wood floors lightly sanded and polyeurethaned. Total investment was around 11K, including a new stainless gas stove and all labor. I added 25K to the price of the house-the price my realtor had said was top asking. We got that-my price-in 9 days. The outside had been painted in a 4 color finish the year before so you COULD add that 5K; I'm still ahead 6K. I don't know where your house is. Here, the real estate market never fully tanked-just went flat. Our house was a 3bdrm, 1.5 bath, 1600sq ft. with a freshley refurbished garage-DH did the roof and doors as well as paint 3 years prior. We showed our house empty, sparkling clean and empty.
__________________
Keep the Faith!! Peace and Love!!!



USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #51
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 47,962

This is a timely topic for me. I just put my parent's house up for sale. I lived in it almost my whole life until I bought a townhouse last summer (parents have both passed). I have spent the last 9 months cleaning out 45 years worth of stuff and then had someone come in and paint and make repairs. The carpet is old and the realtor did not recommend replacing it, that's the only thing I'm not sure of. There is hardwood underneath but it is unfinished. This is basically an 80 year old starter home, asking price $74,500. Problem is it is in a declining neighborhood and the mechanicals are old. I'm offering the full package home warranty (paying $600). I just want to get it sold so I can move on with my new life.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #52
MotifNumberOne
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 101

First of all, I don't see the difference between lowering the price and offering a cash back incentive to update the home? Wouldn't you still be walking away with the same amount in your pocket?

Secondly, this may sound outrageous, but what if you gutted the kitchen? If the prospect of work is daunting potential buyers, turn it into a blank slate and offer $10k for the buyers to install their own custom kitchen.

Lastly, is the home energy efficient? When we were house hunting I was always checking to see if the windows are new, if it had a tankless hot water heater, if it was well insulated etc.. What big projects will need to be done in the next 5 years? Paint? Siding? Roof? Maybe those are things you could have done now and then re-list the property at a slightly lower price point.
MotifNumberOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #53
indimom
Are We There Yet?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjayhawks View Post
Have you toured any of the other houses that are for sale in the neighborhood your mom's house is in? If not, I would suggest doing this so you can see what the competition has to offer. Do those houses have granite, hardwood floors, better quality appliances?

If so, you might want to consider making some of the upgrades as it will make the house look move in ready to potential buyers.

I assume your realtor has run comps on these houses and shown them to you? Short sales can really hurt your sale price, too. I would suggest visiting them as well, to check on their condition and what they have to offer.

I am not crazy about incentives. I am like some of the other posters who say they wonder what else could be wrong in the house if you are offering an incentive for certain things. Better to take that money and fix these items--countertop, floors, etc--to make the house as move in ready as possible. I also agree with getting rid of the air freshners!
I was thinking this also. It will give you an idea of what is selling in your area/what potential buyers are looking for.
I live in a blue collar area and people wouldn't flinch at doing a little work on a house to get it in shape. In a more professional, white collar community, people may prefer to walk into a finished house and keep their focus on their family and career.
You need to figure out exactly what most buyers in your area are looking for.

On a side note:
IF the air fresheners are there to cover any old odors (smoking? pets?) take care of the odor. You can't hide that and many people will be turned off.
DH and I bought our home 10 years ago. I can only clearly remember one house we turned down and that's because it so clearly had an animal smell to it, buried beneath the smell of burning candles. It was a nice house, but we just couldn't help wondering how hard it would be to get rid of that smell.
__________________
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #54
luvavacation
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 798

So much more to think about!

Air fresheners - the realtor said making the house smell pleasant is important, and he suggested the apple pie air fresheners, and now the spring scent ones. There are no smells in the house from my parents, nothing to cover up, it is only 9 years old and my mom is an old European woman that lived to clean! I will ask the realtor about the air fresheners again, if I really do need them. I certainly don't want to turn away a potential buyer!

Nothing in house is broken, nothing needs to be fixed, it just isn't updated. I have to agree with a previous poster, in that much of what I have seen on those house shows is apparently wrong for my area, according to the opinions on here!

Bunkkinsmom, thank you so much for the kind offer. The realtor I am using is considered top in our area, and sells many homes, though he isn't the most personable man. If the house doesn't see some progress soon, I may just take you up on your offer!

There is one other home just like my mom's for sale in the neighbourhood, it is fully upgraded with the high end cabinets, wood floors, granite counter, stainless appliances, etc. It is listed for $50,000 over my mom's original price, has been on the market for 10 months, and according to the realtor, there just isn't a demand for a high end house like that in the neighbourhood, especially with short sales and foreclosures in abundance.

Unfortunately, the neighbourhood does have many short sales and foreclosures, for when the homes were being built, people were maxing out their mortgages and then borrowing against them a few years later, and we all know what happened after that. I know it pains my mom that she has to sell the home for so much less than she paid, and it angers my deadbeat brother, but this is reality; there is no fortune hidden in my parents' home for the taking.

The first open house in 3 months is today, and I shall stop by and speak with the realtor. It is 9 degrees outside, not sure if opening the windows is a good idea, but I will see if boiling something on the stove is in order.

And I shall most definitely speak to the realtor with a bit more wisdom, thanks to you all. I have many new ideas to discuss with him, and see what he thinks will work well in our market. I am most appreciative of your thoughts!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #55
DawnM
Dawn
 
DawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 12,830

when we looked at houses, allowances weren't appealing. I would rather pay $15K less for the house than get a 15K allowance.
__________________
Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #56
indimom
Are We There Yet?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
So much more to think about!

Air fresheners - the realtor said making the house smell pleasant is important, and he suggested the apple pie air fresheners, and now the spring scent ones. There are no smells in the house from my parents, nothing to cover up, it is only 9 years old and my mom is an old European woman that lived to clean! I will ask the realtor about the air fresheners again, if I really do need them. I certainly don't want to turn away a potential buyer!

Nothing in house is broken, nothing needs to be fixed, it just isn't updated. I have to agree with a previous poster, in that much of what I have seen on those house shows is apparently wrong for my area, according to the opinions on here!

Bunkkinsmom, thank you so much for the kind offer. The realtor I am using is considered top in our area, and sells many homes, though he isn't the most personable man. If the house doesn't see some progress soon, I may just take you up on your offer!

There is one other home just like my mom's for sale in the neighbourhood, it is fully upgraded with the high end cabinets, wood floors, granite counter, stainless appliances, etc. It is listed for $50,000 over my mom's original price, has been on the market for 10 months, and according to the realtor, there just isn't a demand for a high end house like that in the neighbourhood, especially with short sales and foreclosures in abundance.

Unfortunately, the neighbourhood does have many short sales and foreclosures, for when the homes were being built, people were maxing out their mortgages and then borrowing against them a few years later, and we all know what happened after that. I know it pains my mom that she has to sell the home for so much less than she paid, and it angers my deadbeat brother, but this is reality; there is no fortune hidden in my parents' home for the taking.

The first open house in 3 months is today, and I shall stop by and speak with the realtor. It is 9 degrees outside, not sure if opening the windows is a good idea, but I will see if boiling something on the stove is in order.

And I shall most definitely speak to the realtor with a bit more wisdom, thanks to you all. I have many new ideas to discuss with him, and see what he thinks will work well in our market. I am most appreciative of your thoughts!
Hmmmm. Starting to sound like it's just not a good time for selling a house in your parents' community. That stinks. Good Luck! I hope you have some success today!
__________________
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #57
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,239

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
So much more to think about!

Air fresheners - the realtor said making the house smell pleasant is important, and he suggested the apple pie air fresheners, and now the spring scent ones. There are no smells in the house from my parents, nothing to cover up, it is only 9 years old and my mom is an old European woman that lived to clean! I will ask the realtor about the air fresheners again, if I really do need them. I certainly don't want to turn away a potential buyer!
DO NOT listen to your realtor on the air freshners. GET RID OF THEM. That is a deal breaker for many of us.

I want to smell "the house" as I have a severe mold allergy. It is very important to me that you do not cover the house with smells. In addition my family has allergies to air freshners.

When you use air freshners it makes me think you have something to hide as well.

Please get rid of them, trust us here on this.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #58
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post

There is one other home just like my mom's for sale in the neighbourhood, it is fully upgraded with the high end cabinets, wood floors, granite counter, stainless appliances, etc. It is listed for $50,000 over my mom's original price, has been on the market for 10 months, and according to the realtor, there just isn't a demand for a high end house like that in the neighbourhood, especially with short sales and foreclosures in abundance.
So there is no demand for high end finishes an you're already priced $50,000 less, and your realtor thinks you should offer a $15,000 incentive? And use an air freshener? Did he/she suggest staging for the open house?
If I were you, I'd maybe go with a different realtor, this one doesn't sound like he/she knows what they are doing.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #59
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,239

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
So there is no demand for high end finishes an you're already priced $50,000 less, and your realtor thinks you should offer a $15,000 incentive? And use an air freshener? Did he/she suggest staging for the open house?
If I were you, I'd maybe go with a different realtor, this one doesn't sound like he/she knows what they are doing.
I agree with you there. I would dump this realtor OP. He/she sucks.

I am in house #4 btw...We will be selling this one as well. Hopefully for that last time.

The next house is going to be the "retirement" house.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #60
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo
 
bunkkinsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
So much more to think about!

Air fresheners - the realtor said making the house smell pleasant is important, and he suggested the apple pie air fresheners, and now the spring scent ones. There are no smells in the house from my parents, nothing to cover up, it is only 9 years old and my mom is an old European woman that lived to clean! I will ask the realtor about the air fresheners again, if I really do need them. I certainly don't want to turn away a potential buyer!

Nothing in house is broken, nothing needs to be fixed, it just isn't updated. I have to agree with a previous poster, in that much of what I have seen on those house shows is apparently wrong for my area, according to the opinions on here!

Bunkkinsmom, thank you so much for the kind offer. The realtor I am using is considered top in our area, and sells many homes, though he isn't the most personable man. If the house doesn't see some progress soon, I may just take you up on your offer!

There is one other home just like my mom's for sale in the neighbourhood, it is fully upgraded with the high end cabinets, wood floors, granite counter, stainless appliances, etc. It is listed for $50,000 over my mom's original price, has been on the market for 10 months, and according to the realtor, there just isn't a demand for a high end house like that in the neighbourhood, especially with short sales and foreclosures in abundance.

Unfortunately, the neighbourhood does have many short sales and foreclosures, for when the homes were being built, people were maxing out their mortgages and then borrowing against them a few years later, and we all know what happened after that. I know it pains my mom that she has to sell the home for so much less than she paid, and it angers my deadbeat brother, but this is reality; there is no fortune hidden in my parents' home for the taking.

The first open house in 3 months is today, and I shall stop by and speak with the realtor. It is 9 degrees outside, not sure if opening the windows is a good idea, but I will see if boiling something on the stove is in order.

And I shall most definitely speak to the realtor with a bit more wisdom, thanks to you all. I have many new ideas to discuss with him, and see what he thinks will work well in our market. I am most appreciative of your thoughts!
Sure just let me know if you need me. We have a Realtor here in town who is THE TOP Realtor in the area. Sales, that's why people use him. Doesn't mean he's any good.....

This Realtor just put a 1.9 MILLION DOLLAR home on the market with only 14 of the available 16 pictures online and didn't even turn the lights on to take the shots. So not only did he NOT hire a professional photog on a home with that price tag, but he didn't even use the available FREE slots on the MLS for pictures. Not to mention he didn't do any additional advertising. But he has the "name", so he got the listing. Be careful, and if you need me just holler!
__________________
Nov 2014 INTERACTIVE DINING REVIEW!! http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post52307648
Jan 2014 INTERACTIVE DINING REPORT!! - COMPLETED!! http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3211959
INTERACTIVE DINING REPORT!!! Jan 2012!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060


Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.