Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

People like to see a house all pretty and shined up, move-in ready. Have you considered staging the house? Companies do wonders with empty houses when they stage them. People need to see it. They have a hard time envisioning it filled with furniture, or with their choice of upgrades. They want to walk in and say, "perfect, just what I want." At least that's what all the HGTV shows say!

As to the air freshener, I agree with the people who say to ditch it. We looked at a house that had scented candles everywhere. I nearly gagged on the smell and couldn't get out fast enough. I kept wondering what they were covering up.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Four Updates For Home Sellers on a Budget

http://www.frontdoor.com/sell/four-u...a-budget/45/p1

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

There are other counter top options. I for one hate granite. It does require upkeep and I know many of my friends that have granite don't bother. Anyway, my counter top is a laminate but it is an upgraded laminate and it looks great. So this might be an option.

At this time last year, I had to put my mothers townhome on the market due to her dementia and other health issues. It took 4 months to sell and we lowered the price twice. When she bought the townhouse, she put down $90,000 and when we sold it she only recouped $40,000 of that. But we had to sell because she had to go into assisted living and that is very expensive.

In her townhome all appliances stayed. The kitchen appliances were stainless and her new washer and dryer was included. She had granite counters, the 42 inch cabinets, wood floors, tile floors in the bathrooms, upgraded carpet in the bedrooms, and we included a home warranty.

We had folks who would make an extremely low offer and would also want us to paint every room in the house to their specifications. One person didn't like the stainless refrigerator that my mom had and wanted us to replace it with what he wanted.

In the end it took the right person to come along. It did seem like it wasn't going to sell. The person who bought it loved everything about the townhouse.

Sometimes you just have to be patient.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #34
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
If the house is priced right for its condition and features, it would sell. I agree with your realtor, a $1,500 allowance is really nothing, it would barely cover the cost a granite island, never the less anything else that a buyer may want to upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
IMHO - a house that has only been on the market for 3 months and has already had two drops in price screams desperate. Another price drop so soon would confirm this. And I would probably offer even less thinking that these desperate sellers would take it.

An incentive like your real estate agent it talking about might be better than lowering the price a third time.
These two include my thoughts....

You also state that it is $30,000 lower then they paid. that is irrelevant in today's market. How is the price in correlation with others for-sale in the area? Is it higher or lower or equal. This is the best way to judge your price...

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #35
2girls4me
DIS Veteran

We added new appliances to our house. Would it have been nice if they were there already? Yes, of course. But we changed what we wanted to. For us, a $1,500 incentive would work.

DH:

DD (3):

DD (6 months):
2girls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #36
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
There are other counter top options. I for one hate granite. It does require upkeep and I know many of my friends that have granite don't bother. Anyway, my counter top is a laminate but it is an upgraded laminate and it looks great. So this might be an option.
I take it, though, that you are middle age? Granted, some in our age group do still prefer laminate or Corian. I'm not so sure about younger buyers, though. And most granite today comes already sealed. If you don't use harsh chemicals on it, I don't know that it has to be re-sealed very frequently.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #37
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

My inlaws lived in a very nice neighborhood on Cape Cod. When my m-i-l passed away last fall, we were left with the empty house (dad had passed away 8 years ago). I figured we would be better off just letting it go 'as is'. It was a very nice house, plenty of room, good sized. But, my sister-in-law disagreed. She lived about 3 miles away, so she could take care of hiring people. So, she had the walls all repainted nice neutral colors...downstairs it was a very light cafe au lait color. Upstairs it was an offwhite. All the carpets were replaced. Where the floors were hardwood (living and dining rooms) she redid them. She put on new hardware, got a landscaper in to really go to town on the stuff around the house, repainted/repaired the deck. And put out a beautiful flower pot on the front steps. That house sold in less than 2 weeks!!! And for a lot more than I thought it would. In fact, the real estate agent told us to raise the price after she saw everything that had been done....raised it about $75,000!!! Based on area comps.
Now, we didn't do anything about the laminate counter tops or the existing appliances. Most of the appliances were less than a few years old.

We ended up getting about $50,000 more than I thought the house would go on the market for to begin with!!!

So, doing those floors over is a huge deal!!! I know that we're about 4 yrs away from selling our big house..just the two of us now. We'll be pulling up carpets, redoing hardwood floors and putting down new carpet where there is crappy floor beneath. We'll get granite for countertops, but I want to do that for myself anyway. Maybe new cabinets, but at least refacing will be done. A new kitchen floor. Redo the half bath on the first floor and the laundry area that is in it..new W/D in it as well. That should make the house more sellable.

Good luck with your house. The thing to keep in mind is that the real estate agent wants your house to sell for the highest possible price. I do tend to disagree with the air freshener though. Just open some windows. And try to get some furniture in there...even if you have to rent some. There are a lot of people out there that just can't imagine how a room will look if they were to move in.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #38
Pikester
DIS Veteran

I agree with other posters who suggested that you stage the house. There are many people out there that just can't picture what the house will look like with their stuff in it so seeing the placement of others stuff sometimes help. Keep it clean and neat.

If that doesn't work then try the other route of replacing stuff.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
I am trying to sell my mom's house. She lives with me (Alzheimer's) and will never live in it again. It has been on the market for 3 months. The price has been lowered twice. It is not furnished, and closing can be immediate. House has no mortgage.

The house is a huge, 3,000 sq. ft. ranch with a small backyard and 3 car garage, partially finished basement. It has no real upgrades. My parents were fine with basics when they built the house 9 years ago. It is, however, a nice house, large and open interior with double sided fireplace.

Feedback from showings is that there are no upgrades and yard is too small. I am unwilling to put in thousands of dollars for hardwood floors, granite countertops, and stainless steal appliances, when we won't recoup any of it. Plus, what if what i choose is not to someone else's liking? I have given the realtor my opinion that, if someone really likes the house, they will make an offer, and I will entertain any offers. If you don't like the house, you will give negative feedback, no matter the price, no?

According to TV house shows and asking around, offering an allowance oftentimes helps attract buyers. With my own previous homes, we always offered a home warranty incentive, and our houses sold within the first week. Not sure if it was coincidence, but it did set my home apart from the others at the time.

Realtor says we need to offer at least a $15,000 incentive to make the house look attractive, because my idea to offer a $1,500 allowance will be laughed at and not even given a second thought. He is fighting me tooth and nail on this, and I just don't agree. But then, I am not a realtor, I am just a daughter that wants to sell my mom's house so she has money for continuing care, whatever the future holds. I don't know all the fine points of selling a home.

I hesitate to lower the price again, as the house is presently in line (or below) with the other homes for sale in the neighbourhood, though I do admit the short sale homes are priced much lower than my mom's house.

We have had no complaints regarding landscaping nor appearance. Only that there are no upgrades and yard is too small (it is a 3,000 sq. ft. ranch with a three car garage on a 12,000 sq. ft. lot, what do you expect?).

What do all you knowledgable DIS people think? Do I press the realtor to offer an allowance of $1,500, or even as a gift card to a local Home Depot? As a buyer, would that even sway you to give the home a second look, in comparison to a similar home in the neighbourhood?

Thoughts?
I have been trying to sell my house for two years now and our house has been lowered below other comparable homes. Some areas just are not selling.

Our realtor told us that incentives to sell to the buyer are frowned on nowadays. I did not ask about a realtor incentive which will make it more likely that realtors with buyers will show your house more often. All lookers will leave feedback and if they don't buy it the feedback will be about what they don't like but that is just their personal opinion. You will want a buyer that wants to redo the house and make it their own. There are buyers who want to do no work and those that want to redo everything to their taste.

I learned after the first year on the market that those shows on TV are a joke and have very little to do with reality when it comes to selling a home because each area is different.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
My inlaws lived in a very nice neighborhood on Cape Cod. When my m-i-l passed away last fall, we were left with the empty house (dad had passed away 8 years ago). I figured we would be better off just letting it go 'as is'. It was a very nice house, plenty of room, good sized. But, my sister-in-law disagreed. She lived about 3 miles away, so she could take care of hiring people. So, she had the walls all repainted nice neutral colors...downstairs it was a very light cafe au lait color. Upstairs it was an offwhite. All the carpets were replaced. Where the floors were hardwood (living and dining rooms) she redid them. She put on new hardware, got a landscaper in to really go to town on the stuff around the house, repainted/repaired the deck. And put out a beautiful flower pot on the front steps. That house sold in less than 2 weeks!!! And for a lot more than I thought it would. In fact, the real estate agent told us to raise the price after she saw everything that had been done....raised it about $75,000!!! Based on area comps.
Now, we didn't do anything about the laminate counter tops or the existing appliances. Most of the appliances were less than a few years old.

We ended up getting about $50,000 more than I thought the house would go on the market for to begin with!!!

So, doing those floors over is a huge deal!!! I know that we're about 4 yrs away from selling our big house..just the two of us now. We'll be pulling up carpets, redoing hardwood floors and putting down new carpet where there is crappy floor beneath. We'll get granite for countertops, but I want to do that for myself anyway. Maybe new cabinets, but at least refacing will be done. A new kitchen floor. Redo the half bath on the first floor and the laundry area that is in it..new W/D in it as well. That should make the house more sellable.

Good luck with your house. The thing to keep in mind is that the real estate agent wants your house to sell for the highest possible price. I do tend to disagree with the air freshener though. Just open some windows. And try to get some furniture in there...even if you have to rent some. There are a lot of people out there that just can't imagine how a room will look if they were to move in.
We repainted and put in new carpet and flooring too and it is amazing that nobody has commented on the laminate counter tops or older stove. I do believe at least repainting in neutral colors makes a huge difference. Our feedback is always about our steps upstairs being so steep and the backyard at an acre not big enough which is just something we can not change.

For airfreshner I always heat a pot of water with a couple cinnamon sticks, cloves, and vanilla before a showing. It makes it smell like I have been baking pie.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

This is an issue I am having with my mom's house. Except it is a 53 year old house on a 1/2 acre lot, 1780 square feet, 3 bedroom 2 bath. . It is in move in conditon, but other than the flooring in the family room, kitchens and bathrooms, it is exactly as it was built, down to the pink tile in the bathrooms and original, 1960 fully functioning Westinghouse appliances.

I do not have it for sale, yet.

Here are the issues I am facing.

First, many lenders here forbid allowances so I would have to find a buyer with a lender that still allows them or a cash sale.

Second....my wife thinks we would be wasting our time to even freshen the paint inside because odds are, the buyer is going to tear it down immediately and build a 5,000 square foot McMansion on the lot, which is the norm in the neighborhood the house is in.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #42
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCat View Post
DH and I are starting to look at houses to buy and we both know there is no way we want to buy a house and have to do anything with it. It's interesting to read that realtors are saying a lot of buyers are like that because I thought we were the only one. But yeah I would rather buy a more expensive house that is just ready to move in, practically perfect than have to buy new appliances, replace carpet, etc.
There you go OP, do the upgrades and raise the price.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #43
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Here's an idea:

Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #44
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

we are offering cash with our house sale. My house is just over 1900 square feet and 240 yrs old. Whoever buys it will want to update it. Everything in it is classic and dates at least to the 50's except the appliances and linoleum tile floors in the kitchen and bathrooms. But it's hardwood through the rest of the house with real wood everything else.

It needs lots of updating but is move in ready for someone who wants an old classic home.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #45
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

As you can tell by the responses, the answer to your question is not a simple one. I am a Realtor in NC and the market changes neighborhood to neighborhood. HAVING SAID THAT....... Your Realtor works for YOU. Period. What are they doing to market your house? And don't let them tell you Open Houses and 16 pictures....

Are they doing Realtor Opens? Neighborhood Open Houses? VIDEO?????

I shoot video for every home I list (unless it's a dump.... HAHAHA!)
Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TV9d-I5Bo

(This isn't my listing, but my DH did shoot the video. We own an audio/video production company)

IMHO 90% of the time your Realtor could be doing more. I say this being a current Realtor, it's the truth.

PM me and I will be happy to run a quick CMA for you, and possibly refer you to a Realtor that can do more for you. Not guaranteeing you a sale, but you should explore your options.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: