Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Schmoopsie Poo!
I will ride, I will fly, chase the wind and touch the sky!

Taste of Alaska Menu

Hello, fellow Dis-ers!

Does anyone have a picture of/know what is on the Taste of Alaska menu? We are especially interested because this menu replaces the tropical Parrot Cay menu, one of our favorites. But can anyone tell us what other wonderful deliciousnesses we can look forward to on this night?!

Thanks!
Magical Caribbean Cruise ~ 2003 ● Magical Caribbean Cruise ~ 2009 ● Wonderful Mexican Riviera Cruise ~ February 2011 ● Wonderful Mexican Riviera Cruise ~ October 2011 ● Magical Bahamas Cruise ~ Summer 2012

A dream's made of magic and music and you. Just have faith, trust, and pixie dust to make it come true! Dreams are as real as you want them to be... Just change your perspective, your point of view: the magic in your dreams is right inside of you!

Our Wonder-ful Mexican Riviera TR!
The "Better Late than Never" Halloween/Sweet Sixteen TR!
Schmoopsie Poo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

I don't remember anything except the elk tenderloin, which was amazing!
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

On what night does the Taste of Alaska menu fall? I'll be able to start booking for Palo on March 1st and I'm trying to figure out what is the best night to do dinner without missing a cool meal in the MDR's. Alaska will be our first 7 night DCL trip, so I'm unsure when to book and not miss out. I don't want to miss the Animator's "show" ... but in Triton's and Animators, are the menus the same as on the Dream?
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
On what night does the Taste of Alaska menu fall? I'll be able to start booking for Palo on March 1st and I'm trying to figure out what is the best night to do dinner without missing a cool meal in the MDR's. Alaska will be our first 7 night DCL trip, so I'm unsure when to book and not miss out. I don't want to miss the Animator's "show" ... but in Triton's and Animators, are the menus the same as on the Dream?
For the Alaska cruises, the Taste of Alaska menu has replaced the Signature Menu in Parrot Cay (I guess making it the Signature menu). It would typically be the first night you dine in Parrot Cay (barring any other theme requirements, like if your first night there is formal night, with it's own specific menu). In that case, the Signature menu would be the second time you are there.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't bother drooling over the menus.

I was disappointed when I sat down and saw the menu in the dining room. Never did get sweet potato fries, even after asking what happened to the menu with them. I was told they switched the menus just before our cruise.

Not even going to bother looking at them for this next cruise. Can't be disappointed if you don't know what else is available on other menus.

I was also shocked that I couldn't get any raw vegetables anywhere. Since I don't like them cooked my meals were lacking in veggies. I hope this has changed, but I won't count on it.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

I was disappointed when I sat down and saw the menu in the dining room. Never did get sweet potato fries, even after asking what happened to the menu with them. I was told they switched the menus just before our cruise.

Not even going to bother looking at them for this next cruise. Can't be disappointed if you don't know what else is available on other menus.

I was also shocked that I couldn't get any raw vegetables anywhere. Since I don't like them cooked my meals were lacking in veggies. I hope this has changed, but I won't count on it.
Did you ask for raw veggies? They are on the kids menu as an appetizer or you could have just asked your server for them.

You didn't miss anything with the sweet potato fries, but not sure when you cruise since I just had them a couple weeks ago on the Fantasy and last year on the Dream and Magic. They aren't very good since the sweet potatoes are usually very undercooked. Plus you only get 3 or 4 pieces on your plate.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

The Taste of Alaska menu includes crab legs and a mustard glazed salmon.

We skipped it b/c this was our Palo night earlier in the evening. Our server was kind enough to "save" us some of the crab legs to try when we went by to pick up our DDs allergy dinner.

The crab legs were skinny, dried out, and not good. If you've ever been to a Vegas buffet, these crab legs were not even half as good. We were glad we skipped the menu that day. They were salty and fishy. Ick.

On the food pic thread someone posted the mustard glazed salmon and said it was good. If you do a search you'll find it.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Agreed. Not worth looking forward to the menus. You will be disappointed if you do. They serve similar food to what you can get at Red Lobster or Olive Garden.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
They serve similar food to what you can get at Red Lobster or Olive Garden.
yes!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I will say I love the DCL food but am a little leary on the "Taste of Alaska." Just last night we went to outback and a few nights before that, Buffalo Wild Wings for our taste of Alaska

j/k! Salmon is okay (burned out on it), Halibut is awesome (all depends on what you do with it), Elk...we have Elk in Alaska?, Moose is a very lean beef (awesome!), and bear (spring black bear...mmmm).

Clint
Anchorage, AK
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N365PA View Post
I will say I love the DCL food but am a little leary on the "Taste of Alaska." Just last night we went to outback and a few nights before that, Buffalo Wild Wings for our taste of Alaska

j/k! Salmon is okay (burned out on it), Halibut is awesome (all depends on what you do with it), Elk...we have Elk in Alaska?, Moose is a very lean beef (awesome!), and bear (spring black bear...mmmm).

Clint
Anchorage, AK
You're allowed to eat bear? Seriously? Aren't they endangered or protected by some kind of federal act?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
BenKling
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108

You're allowed to eat bear? Seriously? Aren't they endangered or protected by some kind of federal act?
Bear hunting is common in many parts of the country. It's a yearly thing here in WI.

BenKling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Yes I did tell the server that I only eat raw veggies. I also asked about the sweet potato fries. I asked for a kid's menu every night also to see if there were any veggies offered-there were no raw ones any night.

If they are offered now, maybe my complaint was heard and implemented. I just thought it was so strange that I couldn't get raw veggies anywhere on the ship. At WDW, just about every TS menu has raw veggies as an option for the kids.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: