Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #46
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I read the posts, no one said anything about people who didn't have those qualifiers you listed above needing one.
Maybe I didn't express myself well. You brought up a number of reasons someone should have a passport. Aside from the "traveling out of country", we don't know if those 900 passport-less passengers (say that 10 times fast) fall under the conditions.

Really, it doesn't matter whether everyone on the ship had passports or not. They STILL didn't need them for this trip.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #47
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Maybe I didn't express myself well. You brought up a number of reasons someone should have a passport. Aside from the "traveling out of country", we don't know if those 900 passport-less passengers (say that 10 times fast) fall under the conditions.

Really, it doesn't matter whether everyone on the ship had passports or not. They STILL didn't need them for this trip.
They may not have needed them for the original intention of the trip, but once an emergency happens, the original trip has now ended, and a new one has begun, and that is when a passport may be needed.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #48
mnrose
DIS Veteran

I've never understood why someone would step a foot outside this country without a passport. If you can afford to undertake such travel, you can afford a passport. They are simple to get, and as someone else said, the absolute gold standard for identification.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #49
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose
I've never understood why someone would step a foot outside this country without a passport. If you can afford to undertake such travel, you can afford a passport. They are simple to get, and as someone else said, the absolute gold standard for identification.
Amen
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #50
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Traveling out of the country was ONE of the reasons people were listing. Whether they met any of the other conditions I think it's a good idea to have a passport in or not, they certainly met one of them.

I just don't get it. Why is it so upsetting to you that some people think a passport is prudent to have when traveling out of the country and that I dared to list some other circumstances people would do well to have them as well?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #51
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here's the hate I saw in this thread to say nothing of other threads I've read...

OK, so the 900 on the cruise ship obviously were travelling to a foreign country, but how many live near one? Or have close family members living in one? Or have the extra money for one.

Look, I agree a passport *IS* a good thing to have, even on a closed loop cruise. But can a cruise line REQUIRE someone to have a passport even if the government (of whichever county the cruise is visiting) doesn't?
Why not? It's a business and they can require whatever they want to. It may not win them any popularity contests but so what? "No shirt, no shoes, no service" would simply be "No passport, no boarding".
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #52
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

And from now on I will think people who take cruises are ridiculous for not taking food, water and garbage bags, just in case they need them should the next ship break down. Of course they're not required but I can't imagine someone who take a chance. Who knows what could happen.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #53
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
Why not? It's a business and they can require whatever they want to. It may not win them any popularity contests but so what? "No shirt, no shoes, no service" would simply be "No passport, no boarding".
They're in a very competitive business. While they may suggest that people have passports, it wouldn't make good business sense to require something from your customers that the competition doesn't require.
People take chances all the time-people live with their decisions. Not a big deal. Like someone else mentioned, we never buy trip insurance. We made a decision to take the chance that things will turn out in our favor. If I'm wrong, I'll pay the price for that decision. We travel often, and with what we've saved by not buying insurance over the years would probably cover most emergencies so we are now ahead of the game.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #54
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
They're in a very competitive business. While they may suggest that people have passports, it wouldn't make good business sense to require something from your customers that the competition doesn't require.
People take chances all the time-people live with their decisions. Not a big deal. Like someone else mentioned, we never buy trip insurance. We made a decision to take the chance that things will turn out in our favor. If I'm wrong, I'll pay the price for that decision. We travel often, and with what we've saved by not buying insurance over the years would probably cover most emergencies so we are now ahead of the game.
I didn't say it would make good business sense, nor did I say they should require them. I was responding to someone's question about whether or not the could require them.

I don't think people should be required to do much of anything. I think they should deal with any consequences of their actions and decisions; quietly and without suing anyone. I'm for less regulation, not more. I'm also for personal responsibility, which was my point earlier in this thread.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #55
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
Essentially, I feel that if someone chooses to take that risk, then they should be prepared to deal with whatever hassles ensue if their trip is interrupted and have no right to complain about delays or having to cover their own costs while they wait for an embassy issued passport, etc.
True enough. In the entire time I've been reading these forums though I have never seen a person complain that someone else didn't solve all their problems when they chose to cruise without a passport. I have seen many, many people get all weirdly fist-shaking angry about people choosing not to get passports. I just ... don't get it.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #56
happygirl
DIS Veteran

The way I see it if I miss the boat due to my own error and don't have a passport then II will have to deal with that. If the boat fault that I have to fly home then they need to take care of it.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #57
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
They may not have needed them for the original intention of the trip, but once an emergency happens, the original trip has now ended, and a new one has begun, and that is when a passport may be needed.

Tiger
Agreed.
But even in this extremely rare situation, on a ship stranded in the middle of the Caribbean, passports STILL were not a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Traveling out of the country was ONE of the reasons people were listing. Whether they met any of the other conditions I think it's a good idea to have a passport in or not, they certainly met one of them.

I just don't get it. Why is it so upsetting to you that some people think a passport is prudent to have when traveling out of the country and that I dared to list some other circumstances people would do well to have them as well?
I have agreed multiple times in this thread that a passport is a good thing to have. What is "upsetting to me" is that people are so judgemental about those who don't have a passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
And from now on I will think people who take cruises are ridiculous for not taking food, water and garbage bags, just in case they need them should the next ship break down. Of course they're not required but I can't imagine someone who take a chance. Who knows what could happen.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #58
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
I love this argument. Can we say to people going to Disney "If you can afford to undertake such travel, you can afford to stay on property?"
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #59
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
I love this argument. Can we say to people going to Disney "If you can afford to undertake such travel, you can afford to stay on property?"
You could but it is not the same thing.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #60
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
I agree with you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: