Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Why are they fools? It's not required.
I'm in the camp of never setting foot outside the US without a passport, even if its not required. What if there is a medical emergency and you need to stay in the country you stopped in? What if you miss the ship? What if the ship breaks down in a foreign port? What if there is an emergency at home and you have the leave the ship to fly home? All of these things have happened to cruise passengers.

Too many things can go wrong when you travel and not having a passport is not one of the things I want to worry about, not to mention having to spend extra time trying to get through the red tape when you may need to get home ASAP.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
allison443
DIS Veteran
 
allison443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
I'm in the camp of never setting foot outside the US without a passport, even if its not required. What if there is a medical emergency and you need to stay in the country you stopped in? What if you miss the ship? What if the ship breaks down in a foreign port? What if there is an emergency at home and you have the leave the ship to fly home? All of these things have happened to cruise passengers.

Too many things can go wrong when you travel and not having a passport is not one of the things I want to worry about, not to mention having to spend extra time trying to get through the red tape when you may need to get home ASAP.
This is how I feel. There are so many things you can't control when traveling (like this cruise ship breaking down) but I like to take whatever steps I can in advance to possibly avoid problems. The cruise ship could have just as easily broken down at a foreign port, right? So having a passport would have made things easier for me.
JMO though.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
I'm in the camp of never setting foot outside the US without a passport, even if its not required. What if there is a medical emergency and you need to stay in the country you stopped in? What if you miss the ship? What if the ship breaks down in a foreign port? What if there is an emergency at home and you have the leave the ship to fly home? All of these things have happened to cruise passengers.

Too many things can go wrong when you travel and not having a passport is not one of the things I want to worry about, not to mention having to spend extra time trying to get through the red tape when you may need to get home ASAP.
If this happens you go to the embassy and get an emergency passport. Not the ideal way to do it but it's not the big trauma that some make it out to be. Things work out in the end.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Why are they fools? It's not required.
Just because it's not required doesn't make it a wise idea. It's plain stupid to leave the country without proper documentation. You can't plan for every little thing, but a passport, the gold standard if ID, takes care of a whole lot.

I believe if you are planning a trip out of the country, you need to budget for a passport, more so than fish extenders or candy for the crew.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
If this happens you go to the embassy and get an emergency passport. Not the ideal way to do it but it's not the big trauma that some make it out to be. Things work out in the end.
Yes, but it isn't quite as easy as you make it sound. It can take days to process, depending on whether its on a weekend, holiday, etc.

My SIL was in France and her passport was stolen. While she was able to get it replaced through the embassy there was quite a bit of red tape and it took several days (happened over a weekend). It wasn't an issue for her because she was going to be there for a month, but for someone needing to get home quickly you can be delayed, which could be an issue.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun
 
BearcatsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Queen City
Posts: 8,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Just because it's not required doesn't make it a wise idea. It's plain stupid to leave the country without proper documentation. You can't plan for every little thing, but a passport, the gold standard if ID, takes care of a whole lot.

I believe if you are planning a trip out of the country, you need to budget for a passport, more so than fish extenders or candy for the crew.
We are considering a cruise in a few years, and the first thing I said to my husband after I saw news about the Carnival was, "We need to add passports to the budget." I firmly believe in being as prepared as possible, and I'll budget for the passport just like I will for the onboard tips, drinks, etc.
__________________

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
Yes, but it isn't quite as easy as you make it sound. It can take days to process, depending on whether its on a weekend, holiday, etc.

My SIL was in France and her passport was stolen. While she was able to get it replaced through the embassy there was quite a bit of red tape and it took several days (happened over a weekend). It wasn't an issue for her because she was going to be there for a month, but for someone needing to get home quickly you can be delayed, which could be an issue.

If you have an entire cruise ship full of Americans stuck in Mexico they would be going all out to get everyone processed. I'm sure, even on a weekend. And I'm sure carnival would be there helping in anyway they could with the expenses while everyone was being processed.
Personally, I have a passport so it would be a moot point for my family, and it would be ideal to have a passport in an emergency like this but I wouldn't go so far as to call someone foolish for not having one when it isn't required.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran
 
WhateverLolaWants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,091

I agree it's foolish to travel without a passport while cruising. If something happens and they drop you off in a foreign port and leave you there then you will not be able to fly out of there without a passport. Same reason it's better to have an actual passport than a passport card. Yeah, 99.9% of the time you will be fine, but I wouldn't be willing to risk it.
__________________
Appropriately raised a Disney Freak!

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
WhateverLolaWants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Just because it's not required doesn't make it a wise idea. It's plain stupid to leave the country without proper documentation. You can't plan for every little thing, but a passport, the gold standard if ID, takes care of a whole lot.

I believe if you are planning a trip out of the country, you need to budget for a passport, more so than fish extenders or candy for the crew.
I have no idea what fish extenders are, but I can't imagine candy for crew being much more than $20, MAYBE $50. A passport for each member of the family can be over $500!

I'm sure the Triumph situation will have some people rethinking their decision not to have a passport, but $500 is expensive "insurance" for a one week trip. And yes, even though they last 10 years, that doesn't mean someone would travel out of the country again.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
If you have an entire cruise ship full of Americans stuck in Mexico they would be going all out to get everyone processed. I'm sure, even on a weekend. And I'm sure carnival would be there helping in anyway they could with the expenses while everyone was being processed.
Personally, I have a passport so it would be a moot point for my family, and it would be ideal to have a passport in an emergency like this but I wouldn't go so far as to call someone foolish for not having one when it isn't required.
Right, but this is (hopefully) an isolated incident. Not often that you're going to have 900 passengers needing to get home from a cruising emergency.

My point was if you're 1, 2 or 4 people that have to leave the ship for an emergency in a foreign country without a passport, it could take you days to get an emergency passport. Not something I want to be worrying about if I need to get home quickly.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I have no idea what fish extenders are, but I can't imagine candy for crew being much more than $20, MAYBE $50. A passport for each member of the family can be over $500!

I'm sure the Triumph situation will have some people rethinking their decision not to have a passport, but $500 is expensive "insurance" for a one week trip. And yes, even though they last 10 years, that doesn't mean someone would travel out of the country again.
When we got ours we knew we were going well in advance of our trip so we staggered buying them. While it still was expensive (we had to get 5, I had one but DH and the kids didn't), we were able to space it out over a six months so we didn't take the hit all at once.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,042

I think it's important to have both a passport and travel insurance if you're setting foot off the country and that includes cruising. As for cost - well Canadians' have to buy passports to go to WDW - it's not that big of deal. Just budget for it. If people can afford silly fish extender junk they can afford passports.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran
 
ilovetexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburban Atlanta
Posts: 1,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Why are they fools? It's not required.
That's the problem these days. People have to be "required" (read: forced) to do things that are sensible. Nobody wants to be responsible for thinking on their own. Imagine the cries of RAGE if they had ended up towing the ship to Mexico and 900 people had to wait a couple/few more days before they could get home because THEY didn't have a passport. It would have been 47 more verses of "It's Carnival's fault, they didn't require me to have a passport".

Good grief!
__________________
ilovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 21,038

To the OPs question, it had to do more with the ocean currents than teh passport issue from what I understand.

By the time the tugs reached her, she had drifted about 90 miles north and the current was going to keep them going that way. On another board someone wrote that they tug at about 7 knots per hour and the current was about that strong as well. They had calculated that with the current and the winds working against them it would have taken about 30 hours more to tow the ship to Mexico.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #30
disykat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Washington State
Posts: 17,424

The passport thing always surprises me. I live in a border state, yet know TONS of people (who have the resources to buy one) refuse to spend the money on a passport because they don't "need" it.

My main reason I got my passport was not because I was going to be traveling, but because family members were. If my child is going to be in Canada or Mexico, I want the ability to go there. If my parents (in their
80's) are going to be traveling in Europe, I want the ability to go there. If DH has to travel for work, I wouldn't want an opportunity to go with him to have to be passed up because I don't have a passport.

The reality is I haven't "needed" it, but to me the possibilities it opens up are worth it.
__________________
DL - 1966,1974,2007 WDW 1987,
WDW/BRB 12/90 Honeymoon, DW/DCL 07/01 family 10th Ann, WDW 12/10 family 20th anniversary
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.