Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
LocaRoja
Mouseketeer

Passport question and carnival triumph

So 20/20 is doing a story on the Carnival Triumph and they said the reason the ship was towed all the way to Mobile instead of nearby Cozumel was because many passengers didn't have passports. Would they really let this drive the decision? Isn't that a risk folks take when traveling without a passport? Seems it would have been so much better to get the ship to land asap!
LocaRoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocaRoja View Post
So 20/20 is doing a story on the Carnival Triumph and they said the reason the ship was towed all the way to Mobile instead of nearby Cozumel was because many passengers didn't have passports. Would they really let this drive the decision? Isn't that a risk folks take when traveling without a passport? Seems it would have been so much better to get the ship to land asap!
I believe it was a small factor in the decision. From what I read, by the time they could get the towboats to it, it was 50/50 whether to actually tow it back to Mexico, or onward to Mobile. Mobile would be a better choice in this case.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Everything I heard was that the wind direction was really the reason that pushed them to go to Mobile. Not that I'm sure they weren't happy not to have to deal with the passport issue, but that wasn't the main reason.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocaRoja View Post
My 13 year old is sitting here laughing at the absurdity of not only the 20/20 show but the Piers Morgan show that was on an hour ago as well. So much nonsense! The one woman that had to be taken off by the CG in order to get dialysis in Cozumel was being interviewed. There was a picture of her and her sister with their lifejackets on....both with smiles on their faces. The interviewer said "you are smiling in the picture but surely you couldn't have been smiling in those horrible conditions", or something to that effect.

WOW! Just in case the news isn't bad enough, let's see if the reporters can't make it worse! The reporters can't stand it when anyone has anything positive to say.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
dansamy
DIS Veteran

By the time the decision was made to tow it back to port, the ship had drifted another 90 miles north. That made it pretty even steven between Mexico & Alabama for distance. Passport-less passengers & a full repair facility capable of handling the ship made Mobile the hands down winner. It's just a shame they missed Mardi Gras. Laissez les bon temps roulez!
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

There was a plan to charter a plane. On a closed loop cruise you only need birth certificate and driver license, kids birth certificates. So you cannot get through customs at a foreign air port. But getting the charter, you still need to enter the country to get on the flight. Mexican gov would have some say in it.

I was surprised to learn they actually towed it all the way to Mobile Alabama. there must have been issues with getting a charter in and out of Mexico.
I was on a plane an hr and half that last power when it shut down on the runway in Detroit. It has to be jump started. As the pilot was backing up he had to stop shortly when he learned a passenger was in the lav. Umm not saying who's kiddo...
So the plane would not restart.

For the hr and half, no air conditioning, toilets backing up smell, no power to flush them, people sick in all the bags from the heat and odor. I can't imagine how terrible it was in the inside cabins without lights, the lower decks with smells.
No fresh food, clean clothes ugh.

It is making me rethink a passport instead of a pass card to travel now!

Edited to change final destination. My BFF is cruising out of New Orleans this week, must have been in the brain.

Last edited by disneymarie; 02-16-2013 at 02:07 AM.
disneymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
HeatherH
Earning My Ears
Okay, okay, I cry uncle, I AM quirky too!
I got the last tag of the night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
There was a plan to charter a plane. On a closed loop cruise you only need birth certificate and driver license, kids birth certificates. So you cannot get through customs at a foreign air port. But getting the charter, you still need to enter the country to get on the flight. Mexican gov would have some say in it.

I was surprised to learn they actually towed it all the way to New Orleans. There must have been issues with getting a charter in and out of Mexico.
I was on a plane an hr and half that last power when it shut down on the runway in Detroit. It has to be jump started. As the pilot was backing up he had to stop shortly when he learned a passenger was in the lav. Umm not saying who's kiddo...

For the hr and half, no air conditioning, toilets backing up smell, no power to flush them, people sick in all the bags from the heat and odor. I can't imagine how terrible it was in the inside cabins without lights, the lower decks with smells.

They didn't tow to New Orleans, they towed to Mobile, Alabama.

Yes, it would have been more of a customs issue with Mexico, but currents helped the decision to head to Mobile.

And yes, the news is full of ridiculous hyperbole and misstatements. No doubt it was a horrible experience, but the news coverage is typical hype.
HeatherH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post

I was surprised to learn they actually towed it all the way to Mobile Alabama. there must have been issues with getting a charter in and out of Mexico.

Edited to change final destination. My BFF is cruising out of New Orleans this week, must have been in the brain.
They towed it to Mobile because the ship was pushed north making it equal distance from both Mexico and Mobile. It made more sense to push on towards Mobile due to the current and the 900 fools who left the country without a passport. You need a passport to re-enter the United States by air.

Yes, I said it. Fools. That is exactly what a person is if they travel to a foreign country without the proper documentation to get them on a plane if needed
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
rigs32
DIS Veteran

I understand the initial cost of a passport seems high, but it lasts for TEN years. It just seems like a no brainer to me. I also use mine as ID when I fly domestically and I've never been tapped for random secondary screening. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigs32 View Post
I understand the initial cost of a passport seems high, but it lasts for TEN years. It just seems like a no brainer to me. I also use mine as ID when I fly domestically and I've never been tapped for random secondary screening. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Kids passports only last for 5 years, though.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Everything I heard was that the wind direction was really the reason that pushed them to go to Mobile. Not that I'm sure they weren't happy not to have to deal with the passport issue, but that wasn't the main reason.

Sayhello
Not only the wind but the currents were moving northly. To tow the massive 102,000 ton vessel agianist the wind and current would have reduced its speed big time. The logistical action was to go north.

Of course, that kind of factual news wouldn't give 20/020 better sentationalized ratings!
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
deserrai
DIS Veteran

I heard the same, that they had drifted before they actually were able to start towing and that is why they went to Mobile.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigs32 View Post
I agree. I am surprised people don't opt to get passports for cruising.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
They towed it to Mobile because the ship was pushed north making it equal distance from both Mexico and Mobile. It made more sense to push on towards Mobile due to the current and the 900 fools who left the country without a passport. You need a passport to re-enter the United States by air.

Yes, I said it. Fools. That is exactly what a person is if they travel to a foreign country without the proper documentation to get them on a plane if needed
Why are they fools? It's not required.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post

Fools? Hardly! It is not required, and you cannot *prepare* for *every* contingency!

We have them because dh needed them to travel for work, and I wanted to be sure I had one in case, worse case scenario, I would need to join him quickly. Have never used it, but glad to have it. Necessary? Absolutely not, as I have no plans to leave the country again. I *will* keep mine renewed now though, for travel to Canada occasionally. Didn't need it for travel there when I got it.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: