Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
dcfromva

Disney Fan

I am not looking forward to the possible impacts on our budget that this process might bring.
DH works for a company that has govt contracts so I think DH will probably be impacted, though I'm not aware of any planned furlough (or layoff), yet.
It's always something, isn't it? I'm trying not to let it get me down as we have a pretty robust emergency fund. I think we will have plenty to pay basic expenses.
I am going to fund 2012 IRA account contributions because we are coming up on the deadline, but I am going to hold off on 2013 IRA contributions until things settle down.
That is the extent of my planning so far...
dcfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #47
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

We always plan for a layoff. We live below are means so we can live at the same level during unemployment.

If this goes on for a long time, most of the US will feel it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #48
psimon
Will travel for turkey legs!
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
We always plan for a layoff. We live below are means so we can live at the same level during unemployment.

If this goes on for a long time, most of the US will feel it.
I don't think it will take a long time (depending on what your definition of a long time is ).

I say, less than a week and the nation will be screaming if it includes things like air traffic, the VA and other agencies that have a direct interface with the public.

As to budgeting, we already have a trip scheduled for Hawaii... and some of it is paid for, but not all.... guess that means lots of pizza in Hawaii!

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/15 OKW, 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL 5D Wonder, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D Magic Eastern Caribbean, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

psimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #49
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

I work for the State of CA and have been having furloughs for 5 years. First they closed all state offices for three Fridays a month, then it was "pick your own 3 days" a month, then it went down to 2 days a month, now we have been at 1 day a month, pick your own day off unpaid.

Over the years, we have gotten use to less money. Don't count on the public coming to your behalf, they want their stuff done without paying your salary through taxes so they have no sympathy for you.

Gardening is an excellent way to save some money. Eat lots of greens/veggies from the garden and freeze for winter months. Make a non meat meal once or twice a week. Combine trips or walk instead of using more gasoline.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #50
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon View Post
I don't think it will take a long time (depending on what your definition of a long time is ).

I say, less than a week and the nation will be screaming if it includes things like air traffic, the VA and other agencies that have a direct interface with the public.

As to budgeting, we already have a trip scheduled for Hawaii... and some of it is paid for, but not all.... guess that means lots of pizza in Hawaii!

---Paul in Southern NJ
Hawaiian pizza in Hawaii??

I hope you're right that it's not too long.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #51
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
Hawaiian pizza in Hawaii??

I hope you're right that it's not too long.
Around here they sell Hawaiian Pizza..... it has pineapple on it!

(Honestly, I wouldn't expect to get that there.... just like what we call Chinese food isn't really eaten in China! )

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/15 OKW, 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL 5D Wonder, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D Magic Eastern Caribbean, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #52
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon

(Honestly, I wouldn't expect to get that there.... just like what we call Chinese food isn't really eaten in China! )

---Paul in Southern NJ
True, but oddly enough I live in Asia and somedays would give anything for paperbox Chinese takeout versus the authentic stuff =)
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #53
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon View Post

---Paul in Southern NJ
Actually, I had some great "Hawaiian" pizza in Hawaii - fresh Dole pineapple, kalua pork and (on Maui) goat cheese from a local goat cheese dairy (Surfing Goat Dairy).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #54
disneysmyhappyplace
Mouseketeer

My husband was furloughed last year. Hoping he won't be again! It really takes a chunk of your salary out. We were looking at buying a bigger house at the time but have since decided to stay in our almost paid off smaller home.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Me DH DS DS DD
disneysmyhappyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #55
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysmyhappyplace View Post
My husband was furloughed last year. Hoping he won't be again! It really takes a chunk of your salary out. We were looking at buying a bigger house at the time but have since decided to stay in our almost paid off smaller home.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
That's the sort of stuff Washington doesn't seem to get..... That change (read that as loss) to our budget ripples down and messes with the entire economy. It's not just the Feds that lose out!

Sure, they appear to save some money.... but it then effects everyone done the chain and the entire economy suffers. From home sales to the hot dog vendor, we all lose.

---Paul in Southern NJ

Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #56
smitch425
DIS Veteran

We are a one income family, and DH is upper management for the DoD. His office consisted of 3 supervisors (him being one of them) and a head supervisor. Collectively they oversee about 60 people. Well, his boss just took a different job and one of the other supervisors is in a source selection which basically means he is locked in a room somewhere else on base for months. DH was put in charge of everyone. As if doing the work of 3 people wasn't already stressful enough, he has to deal with the ramifications of sequestration. He is dreading going to work tomorrow because morale is so dismal. He said no one wants to work, but there are things that need to get done. I feel so bad for him and our friends. Fortunately, we are very careful with our money and have a good amount of savings, but still... a 20% pay cut is a hard pill to swallow.

They are facing one day off a week for 22 straight weeks, but they do not yet know:

1) if it will be the same day for everyone or staggered
2) if they will get to choose the day or be given no option

It sucks, but it is what it is. We were pretty crushed that the fiscal cliff bill included the 2 month delay of the sequestration. We were really hoping we would be able to plan the year by now, but we can't make any big purchases or book any trips until we know what the future holds.

Our entire area will suffer from this. Wright-Patterson AFB employs several thousand civilian employees. Local businesses are going to take a financial hit, as well. It is very sad.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #57
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Our entire area will suffer from this. Wright-Patterson AFB employs several thousand civilian employees. Local businesses are going to take a financial hit, as well. It is very sad.
We have three bases in Pensacola. There are tons of civilian employees facing furloughs here. The local economy is going to take a huge hit here too. Not only are the civilians not going to be spending as much money but we are home to the Blue Angels and if the shows get cancelled, well, there goes a bunch of our tourist dollars too.

They now have 4 days to do something and I don't have much faith that they will at this point. Very sad indeed.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #58
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

I asked my husband if he has heard how things will be for him and his employees, and he said as of right now, they are looking at losing one day per pay period, for the remainder of the fiscal year. They get paid biweekly so I am guessing he means that they will lose one day every other week.

I was kind of glad to hear it until he told me how much of a cut in pay this is going to be.

I really wish the people in Washington could get it together each year and pass something. Cut out unnecessary spending but leave the workers who provide services for the citizens alone. I believe that they use them as a tool to get what they want.

My husband has been a federal employee for 18 years now. Only once it came down to a real furlough. The rest of the time they have played these mind games and after a while it really takes its toll on you. He said that the morale in his office is down. I bet it is!

I know how much this has effected us over the years too. You cant plan to do a thing because how can you justify spending five thousand dollars on a trip when you may be out of work, or have a period of time with less income coming in. It's very frustrating for the whole family, all of the employees, the citizens and everyone. (Where is the angry guy smiley when I need it?)
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #59
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

We're at Wright-Patt, too.

Hubby will be furloughed; we're planning for it the best we can.
Sure hope that Congress and the Prez are willing to take a 20% pay cut, too. Don't think that will ever happen, will it? Cheesed off at the whole lot of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
We are a one income family, and DH is upper management for the DoD. His office consisted of 3 supervisors (him being one of them) and a head supervisor. Collectively they oversee about 60 people. Well, his boss just took a different job and one of the other supervisors is in a source selection which basically means he is locked in a room somewhere else on base for months. DH was put in charge of everyone. As if doing the work of 3 people wasn't already stressful enough, he has to deal with the ramifications of sequestration. He is dreading going to work tomorrow because morale is so dismal. He said no one wants to work, but there are things that need to get done. I feel so bad for him and our friends. Fortunately, we are very careful with our money and have a good amount of savings, but still... a 20% pay cut is a hard pill to swallow.

They are facing one day off a week for 22 straight weeks, but they do not yet know:

1) if it will be the same day for everyone or staggered
2) if they will get to choose the day or be given no option

It sucks, but it is what it is. We were pretty crushed that the fiscal cliff bill included the 2 month delay of the sequestration. We were really hoping we would be able to plan the year by now, but we can't make any big purchases or book any trips until we know what the future holds.

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #60
mks18412
Mouseketeer

I heard on the radio that people got back pay when they were furloughed in 1995... If this is true whats the point of a furlough??
mks18412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: