Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp

Pensions and SS will not be affected. This is about furloughing current employees. Let's not do the scare the retired thing now.
Exactly. Retirees should not be worrying about things that aren't going to happen. Rumor control is important.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

I just retired at the end of January and I know my pension will be about 80% of what I should be getting for the first few months until they get it all figured out. I haven't gotten any SS or pension check at this time because I am newly retired. I'm hoping those aren't delayed by other agencies. It's just in transition at this point.
It is certainly possible you have a very unusual situation due to dates and other factors. Probably annoying, but it doesn't mean the vast majority of retirees will experience something similar.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Ok I feel so stupid. I'm not a government employee and I haven't heard of furloughs.

What's up?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #34
psimon
Will travel for turkey legs!
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Upper mgt has been told not to say too much. They're also afraid of the backlash.
There isn't any backlash now?

So they say nothing and leave all the chatter to the worker-bees. Is that really rational?

With everyone not knowing the real facts as to how we would be furloughed, we stand around the proverbial water cooler spending/wasting time talking about what could be instead of what will be. If all of that time was used working, we might not have as big of an issue. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a problem, just maybe a slightly smaller one as everyone would be more efficient.

I guess expecting honesty from the upper management is asking too much. We have budgets WE have to worry about to.

Glad I booked and paid for an Aulani trip prior to all of this! Just hope I have cash to spend while there!

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D EASTERN, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

psimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #35
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

Hi Eliza. You're not stupid, it's not in the media... but remember all that "fiscal cliff/sequestration" talk back at New Years?

They passed an emergency measure and everyone forgot about it... but it was only until March 1st. The debt ceiling is extended until May now, but the sequestration is scheduled to hit 1 March unless (fill in the blank here depending on who you choose to believe.)

A lot of gov't agencies would lose a LOT of money from their budgets, and have been trying to figure out how they would absorb that. Furloughs (unpaid days off) are one of the ways they can do it. A lot of gov't contractors might be pink-slipped. Most agencies are having major travel and operations restrictions.

It hadn't occured to me that the FAA would be affected. But if it is, I'd definitely rather deal with delays than worry about people's safety.
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post

It hadn't occured to me that the FAA would be affected. But if it is, I'd definitely rather deal with delays than worry about people's safety.
If there is hysteria in the political world now, just think how it would turn if a plane so much as touches another plane on the runway.... let alone, worse.

Resolutions would show up quickly. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D EASTERN, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

DH is a DOD employee and we are a one income family. We have the funds in the savings account to cover the bills if a furlough happens. I have started to stock pile what I can with food and household needs. I also made a furlough menu that I have been working on so I know how much money I need to pull for groceries and such. We would just have to cut out all entertainment and such to make it through.

The thought that truly scares me is what happens with health insurance if we go 22 days with no pay? The higher ups at DH's base has been trickling down some information and they say we can opt to stay in and just pay the dues when he is paid again. But that means even more cuts to our paycheck for longer than though. I failed to plan for that outcome so I am working on it now.

This is very scary and I hate that it happens every year. I have started my own little furlough savings for next year hoping that I will be less stressed about it.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #38
1Mouse2RulethemAll
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761
DH is a DOD employee and we are a one income family. We have the funds in the savings account to cover the bills if a furlough happens. I have started to stock pile what I can with food and household needs. I also made a furlough menu that I have been working on so I know how much money I need to pull for groceries and such. We would just have to cut out all entertainment and such to make it through.

The thought that truly scares me is what happens with health insurance if we go 22 days with no pay? The higher ups at DH's base has been trickling down some information and they say we can opt to stay in and just pay the dues when he is paid again. But that means even more cuts to our paycheck for longer than though. I failed to plan for that outcome so I am working on it now.

This is very scary and I hate that it happens every year. I have started my own little furlough savings for next year hoping that I will be less stressed about it.
DoD will probably do 1 day a week and the insurance will still be paid every two weeks. OPM has guidance on their website about the furlough. What will happen is once we hit 80 hours without pay, there will be no leave earned that pay period.

I am in the same boat as you. We are essentially a one income house and I am DoD, too. My budget is already tight since DH lost his job and we have a baby due this summer.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Contemporary-September 2009
Disneyland Hotel-October 2009
Disneyland Hotel-December 2010
Bay Lake Tower/MVMCP-December 2011
1Mouse2RulethemAll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #39
psimon
Welcome to the money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post

I was told the reason they want to do a day a week as opposed to a lump of days was because of insurance. If you only have sporadic furlough days, insurance is not effected. If you were to take all 22 days together you would have insurance issues.

But then.... as a lump of days, you can get unemployment. I did that last time when we had 2 full weeks here in NJ. But that is all state dependent.... your mileage may vary!

Anyway... that is the rational behind spreading it out.

Hope that helps...

---Paul in Southern NJ

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #40
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon

If there is hysteria in the political world now, just think how it would turn if a plane so much as touches another plane on the runway.... let alone, worse.

Resolutions would show up quickly. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

---Paul in Southern NJ
I think a lot of people forget how much the federal gov't makes modern life possible. I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen if a compromise isn't reached.

Praying that none of ya'll have to go on furlough and that compromise is reached.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #41
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I just retired at the end of January and I know my pension will be about 80% of what I should be getting for the first few months until they get it all figured out. I haven't gotten any SS or pension check at this time because I am newly retired. I'm hoping those aren't delayed by other agencies. It's just in transition at this point. They are still processing my retirement.
That's pretty normal when someone first retires. They can't do final calculations until someone is actually retired. The furloughs will be one day per week for up to 22 weeks (I say up to because I think a deal will be reached before the 22 weeks is up, at least I hope).

I know people who were told not to go home and tell their families, just to say they needed to "tighten up". Really? Everyone ignored that advice.

A lot more than just employees will be affected. DH is waiting for his VA disability decision. We aren't planning on him getting anything, but he could. The real thing for us is our VA home mortgage refi that was done during that timeframe is now subject to reimbursement of the VA fee (3%) which is what we want back(go against principle, not into our pockets). Point is, his decision is scheduled for March, so we'll see if it doesn't get pushed out due to the furloughs. VA is funded separately so shouldn't be affected in terms of disability and services, but you never know. It's only been 26 months since he put in his paperwork.

I know some people will be surprised when it happens because so many dont' know what the real possibilities are.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mouse2RulethemAll View Post
DoD will probably do 1 day a week and the insurance will still be paid every two weeks. OPM has guidance on their website about the furlough. What will happen is once we hit 80 hours without pay, there will be no leave earned that pay period.

I am in the same boat as you. We are essentially a one income house and I am DoD, too. My budget is already tight since DH lost his job and we have a baby due this summer.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
I really hope that they decide on the one day a week. If they do then at that point the only thing we have to do is cancel this summer's vacation and use that money to supplement what will be missing from the paychecks.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #43
HerRoyalHighness
Earning My Ears

From what my husband heard it was going to be 22 days at a time until they get something passed.

Which 20 days equals Four (4) 5-day work weeks.
plus the other work days two days....so it's essentially a month at a time.

He's with the Corps of Engineers.

I have a couple of nurse friends who work as contractors for the VA and it could affect them. They don't work inside a facility though.
HerRoyalHighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #44
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

My employer gets a lot of federal grants (we're a non-profit) and we've been warned that they could be cut up to 40% if the sequester (or something similar) goes through. I've already taken my usual end-of-year bonus out of the budget as there is a good chance we won't get it (we've gotten a bonus every year I've worked since I started 14 years ago). But unless things get really hairy we shouldn't have to worry about a furlough like we had in '09.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #45
queenbetsey
Mouseketeer

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I work for the local school district. We did have some of our fd restored so on those days while the students are out we had a choice to go into the district office and clean out closets, move furniture and clean the carpets or take a personal paid day if we could provide a "valid, verified excuse" They had restored the days less than a week before the first one came up so lots of folks had to change their plans. Glad we got the daysback but most of us mae appointments for non student days. I had to get a note from my knee DR. to prove that I was not just playing that day. Now they are talking about putting the furlough days back on for the end of this year so who knows. The district did however purcase 10 brand new crossovers for the district folks to ride around our small town in

Hey Hey we're the Whiteheads, a pre trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3209767

You were born an origional, why die a copy?\

[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/klh12jpwhe9t3guf.png[/img][/link]
queenbetsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: