Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
tikilyn
DIS Veteran

We're in wait and see mode. We do have a 5 month emergency fund, thank god!So we'll be ok, just have to tighten our budget up a little more. My dh is considered essential,too so he'll still be working. We'll just have to wait and see. I just wish that the government would stop playing chicken with each other and using us a pawns. I'm sick of it!
tikilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
DH works for the government. No one is talking cuts at his agency because hey have a different funding source. However, my friends, neighbors (pretty much everyone depends on Government money around the DC area) are very worried.
Yeah, well, we do too, but even if they aren't talking about it publicly, be aware it could impact you too. My agency shouldn't be one affected, but it's planning because they've been told nothing and no one is off the table. There's some current arguing going on at higher levels.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimon View Post
So far, we have not been allowed to fund or contractors past March 27. Right now, they will be on the street come March 28 unless they lift the restriction!

Washington (all of them) really love the game of poker. It's just that WE are the losers.

---Paul in Southern NJ
My DH works on a fully funded contract, but whether or not it will get "paid" fully is another issue. He works on an actual program. Worst case for them is probably just taking the same furlough, but we'll see. I still think even if sequestration happens, that it won't last more than a few weeks. Too much impact on the overall economy.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

We had 3 unpaid furlough days last year. Nothing like what the OP's family is facing, but it was tough to lose 3 days of income when we were primarily a one income family.

I think the worst part was when the members of the community gave teachers a hard time for having "days off"! They didn't know that all the staff in the district took 3 unpaid days in order to save several jobs in the district-saving hundreds of thousands of dollars and keeping everyone employed. (Because we're union, we had to vote to take the days.)

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishteacha View Post
We had 3 unpaid furlough days last year. Nothing like what the OP's family is facing, but it was tough to lose 3 days of income when we were primarily a one income family.

I think the worst part was when the members of the community gave teachers a hard time for having "days off"! They didn't know that all the staff in the district took 3 unpaid days in order to save several jobs in the district-saving hundreds of thousands of dollars and keeping everyone employed. (Because we're union, we had to vote to take the days.)
The 22 day furlough could impact 2 million+ people directly and a lot more indirectly and we get no vote other than the one that happens in Nov every couple of years. Not that that seemed to have any impact. The problem is, the furlough won't really save anyone's job and is just a drop in the bucket dollar wise. Real budget reform needs to happen. Most people really have no idea how much a trillion is.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #21
psimon
Will travel for turkey legs!
Welcome to the money pit

The stupid thing is when we were furloughed in 2011 for 2 weeks, they ended up paying us anyway! How's that for a waste!

I know that won't happen this time.

---Paul in Southern NJ
and (Grandma & Grandpa) 8/15 OKW, 8/14 DCL Fantasy 7N Western and BLT, 8/13 Hawaii/Aulani and DL/VGC, 8/12 DCL Dream 5N / BLT, 8/11 AKL-K, 11/10 AKL-K, 11/09 AKL/BCV, 11/08 OKW, 11/07 OKW, 11/06 OKW, 11/05 DL, 11/04 OKW & DCL 5D Wonder, 11/03 RPH OKW, Dolphin, 11/02 DCL 7D Magic Eastern Caribbean, 11/01 OKW, 11/00 OKW, 11/99 SoG, 11/98 SoG, 11/97 SoG, 11/96 BI, 11/95 WL, 11/94 PO-R, 11/93 YC, 11/92 Poly, 11/91 Poly, 09/90 Poly, 12/89 GF, 08/88 Poly, 11/87 Poly, 11/86 Poly

psimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
Mom2Mack
Earning My Ears

Lots of furlough chatter at our Agency too but nothing from upper mgmt yet. Just booked our timeshare for June & collecting as much extra funds to fund our trip. Push comes to shove we hang out on beach or resort for the week

Mom2Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Yeah, well, we do too, but even if they aren't talking about it publicly, be aware it could impact you too. My agency shouldn't be one affected, but it's planning because they've been told nothing and no one is off the table. There's some current arguing going on at higher levels.
You may be right, but DH thinks it is extremely unlikely to affect him directly.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If anyone works for the VA, we were told we would not be affected by sequestration. I will be expecting my first pension check from the VA (after 21 years there) in March. Hope I get that. I get my first Social Security check in mid-March, too. Hope that isn't delayed either.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
disykat
DIS Veteran

Remember, let's talk budget - not politics - or this thread will get closed!

I'm glad to hear it sounds like belt tightening will get a lot of us through! For us, the timing just stinks with the expense of another child entering college in the Fall. In our town, I'm worried about some of the small retaurants etc. that those of us who are tightening our belts won't go to!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
You may be right, but DH thinks it is extremely unlikely to affect him directly.
We probably work in the same field. We've heard everything from it won't affect us at all to DOD is demanding that everyone has to play.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Remember, let's talk budget - not politics - or this thread will get closed!

I'm glad to hear it sounds like belt tightening will get a lot of us through! For us, the timing just stinks with the expense of another child entering college in the Fall. In our town, I'm worried about some of the small retaurants etc. that those of us who are tightening our belts won't go to!
No one has discussed partisan politics. Just the government in general
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If anyone works for the VA, we were told we would not be affected by sequestration. I will be expecting my first pension check from the VA (after 21 years there) in March. Hope I get that. I get my first Social Security check in mid-March, too. Hope that isn't delayed either.
Pensions and SS will not be affected. This is about furloughing current employees. Let's not do the scare the retired thing now.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Mack View Post
Lots of furlough chatter at our Agency too but nothing from upper mgmt yet. Just booked our timeshare for June & collecting as much extra funds to fund our trip. Push comes to shove we hang out on beach or resort for the week
Upper mgt has been told not to say too much. They're also afraid of the backlash.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Pensions and SS will not be affected. This is about furloughing current employees. Let's not do the scare the retired thing now.
I just retired at the end of January and I know my pension will be about 80% of what I should be getting for the first few months until they get it all figured out. I haven't gotten any SS or pension check at this time because I am newly retired. I'm hoping those aren't delayed by other agencies. It's just in transition at this point. They are still processing my retirement.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.

Last edited by Deb & Bill; 02-16-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: