Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Life boats and Triumph

Would they have been able to lower the life boats? That might have been more of a risk than they felt needed to do?
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg4crzn View Post
Would they have been able to lower the life boats? That might have been more of a risk than they felt needed to do?
I would think the lifeboats could have been lowered, if they were needed. Seems to me that the lifeboat winches (or whatever they need to lower them) would have their own power to be used when necessary.

There's no reason they would need them just because the ship lost power. It was still floating. I'd rather be on a dead ship with walking space, than sitting in an enclosed space on a bench, bouncing around in a lifeboat with 150 other people.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

I would think the lifeboats could have been lowered, if they were needed. Seems to me that the lifeboat winches (or whatever they need to lower them) would have their own power to be used when necessary.

There's no reason they would need them just because the ship lost power. It was still floating. I'd rather be on a dead ship with walking space, than sitting in an enclosed space on a bench, bouncing around in a lifeboat with 150 other people.
I agree. I was just thinking about the conditions people were saying regarding the sewage and smell.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I don't understand why they couldn't just flush right into the ocean (so to speak) if necessary. Plumbing basically depends on gravity.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Couple of reasons for the above questions
Lifeboats. There is not enough fuel onboard for the boats to make it to shore. Second, the ship wasnt in danger of sinking and the safest place is on the ship.May not have been the cleanest, but it was relatively safe.
The last thing Carnival needed was to have someone get hurt trying to get into or out of a liferaft. Plus, it takes time to figure out, what to do next. Its not as simple as saying, Darn we blew an engine. Abandon ship. The Chief engineer, and his crew have to look at the engines, the generators, alternators and the distribution panels to see if they can do anything to alleviate the problem. That alone takes a few hours.

Waste. Its against the law to dump sewage or trash overboard. Ask RCL how that worked out for them. I think the fine was around 2 million dollars.

Theres a limited number of thru hulls, and they are for water to cool the engines, and firefighting. Any sewage, waste oil etc, is pumped off the ship inport usually 20 feet or so above the water line. The sewage tanks are usually at the lowest point of the ship. Even if the system was gravity fed, theres still a valve that needs to be opened electronically on each toilet.

It took me a minute but I realize now why the sewage spilled. For some odd reason that I havent yet figured out, when a ship lists for an extended period of time, the sewage system backs up. It happened on the Freedom of the Seas, when she was doing her sea trials. She had an intentional list put on to test her fire doors, and too many crew took a shower at the same time and flooded several crew cabins. Im fairly certain something similar happened to the Triumph.

What Im really concerned with, is that ships are built with multiple redundancies. Theres at least 2 power distribution panels, 6 engines and generators, etc. There also usually remote from each other so that if an engine in the foward engine room blows up, the aft engine room isnt affected.
The way it typically works, is that each engine is paired to a generator/alternator. When the engine is running, it produces a given amount of electrical power. That power goes to a panel, and computers decide where it goes from there. The 2 main electric engines get the majority of the power, and whats left goes to the ship.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Is there any reason why an empty ship from nearby could not get to it and let the passengers off onto the empty ship?

I know - probably a logical explanation for it.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS
Is there any reason why an empty ship from nearby could not get to it and let the passengers off onto the empty ship?

I know - probably a logical explanation for it.
I read that they felt it wouldn't be safe. I'm thinking their plan was thought to be the safest but they didnt plan on the ship drifting or being so difficult to tow in. It showed that the cruise industry maybe needs more emergency back up plans. That's always been my "comfort"-there's always another ship close.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg4crzn View Post
I read that they felt it wouldn't be safe. I'm thinking their plan was thought to be the safest but they didnt plan on the ship drifting or being so difficult to tow in. It showed that the cruise industry maybe needs more emergency back up plans. That's always been my "comfort"-there's always another ship close.
Thank you. I did not know it was mentioned somewhere - or it was a thought.

I really think in today's time, that would have been possible. I think it's all about the dollar - if you ask me. Glad everyone is back safe.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Mokat76
DisKat

If the people had truly been endangered I'm sure they would have done other things like deploy lifeboats or whatever. They weren't. They were inconvenienced and grossed out and uncomfortable--all first-world problems. I think the idea of a ship-to-ship transfer sounds good on paper but probably is incredibly risky. More people probably could have been injured in a transfer than by staying on board the ship.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76 View Post
If the people had truly been endangered I'm sure they would have done other things like deploy lifeboats or whatever. They weren't. They were inconvenienced and grossed out and uncomfortable--all first-world problems. I think the idea of a ship-to-ship transfer sounds good on paper but probably is incredibly risky. More people probably could have been injured in a transfer than by staying on board the ship.
Exactly. You have 2 large ships (if you could even find an empty one???) bopping up and down in the ocean so I can't imagine a transfer would be easy. Besides - I've been on cruises - I think the average age of the passengers is about 90. People would get hurt.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

I don't understand why they didn't just tow the ship into port days ago.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

I read that it is legal to dump human waste into the sea as long as you are at least 5 miles out from the coast.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishteacha View Post
They towed the ship for 4 days. It was out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, and towboats can only go so fast (especially when hauling a ship). They did snap a couple of lines during the towing process due to the strain on them.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
Mokat76
DisKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishteacha
It took two+ days for the tugs to reach the ships then they could only go about 6-7 knots or so on the way to port. Two, then ultimately three tugs, don't have that much power to push/pull a large ship around in the open seas. That was probably as big a maritime challenge as any of the seamen involved have ever encountered.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Thank you everyone for the logical explanations,

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: