Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #121
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
My pet peeve is based on using the resort specific threads. If you start a new thread about a specific resort question someone might say "ask in the resort specific thread", but there are so many people chit chatting about everyday life and whatnot that it takes forever to find the information you need in those threads (for some threads not all of them). Or you ask a question and it gets lost in the thread and never answered because between your question and anyone who could answer it is pages upon pages of babble!

Maybe it's just me, but anything beyond the first couple of pages of a resort specific thread is just hard to use. I know people make friends and want to stay connected though so I'm sure that's why it's like that.

Though that's a pet peeve it doesn't stop me from using the board and of course I still love it, flaws and all!
TOTALLY !!! The first page or 2, where they describe the resort and show pics is very helpful...after that it seems like everyone is just talking about when they're going, Uncle Joe is sick this week, Susie got an A in science.........it's kind of hard to cull through all that to find out where the ice makers and soda machines are! And in the time it takes for someone to reply, "go over to the so-and-so resort board" you probably could have just answered the posters original questions.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #122
mum2four
DIS Veteran

This thread is funny. I have to agree with a couple that have already been posted:

1. Unnecessary use of CAPITALS and punctuation!!!!!!! That really irritates me for some reason.

2. When someone asks, "Has anyone ever stayed at....". I'm always tempted to reply with, "Nope, no one, ever. That resort has sat vacant since the day it opened."

I'm also annoyed by the myriad of questions on room/building requests on the resort threads. Seriously, get a map, look where everything is, do a little research and pick what you think is best for you. Is it really that hard?

Or this one...."I booked a standard room/standard view, but I HAVE to be close to the food court, close to the pool, close to transportation, close to the parking lot, on the second floor, third door down from the right, facing east....oh and I want a nice view too. What room should I request?"

Oh well, I guess if my biggest gripes today are about how people post on a Disney planning website, then life is pretty good!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #123
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I think I have a new one. People who criticise other people's pet peeves on a pet peeve thread. I'm all for discussion, but this I just don't get. A particular peeve may not be irksome to you, but it obviously is to someone. :goodvbes
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #124
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I have other pet peeves, which have already been pointed out by others, but one I would add is the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" phenomenon I see on this board and the restaurant board (and pretty much all the boards). It seems the complaint threads get more attention (and posts) than ones where questions are asked and answered, or overall reviews of a resort that share experiences (good and bad), though people seem to focus much more on the negatives of honest reviews than what is usually the 90% of the rest of the review that was positive.

Some of the complaints are so ridiculous to begin with that it's difficult to take them seriously, but some people do anyway and then go in the opposite extreme in WDW's defense, mostly by name-calling or going to ridiculous lengths to defend WDW in regards to what seem to be valid complaints. All it takes is one over-the-line "trolling" post and the thread gets out of hand with indignant responses, and ends up being closed by a moderator.

I have to admit I read the complaint threads, mostly because I hope to find information that will help me make a more informed vacation decision in the future, and I think a lot of other people do. But if the complaint itself is obviously "trolling", or responses to the complaint are "trolling", bumping the thread back up with another post pointing out the "trolling" isn't going to help; it just brings it right back to everyone else's attention. It's better to ignore ridiculous ones once you've read them than to prolong the life of the thread with another post.

I guess another peeve of mine is when someone sincerely wishes something were the case at WDW or its resorts, and then someone else comes along with an "economic reality" post, along the lines of "WDW isn't going to pay that much for something for which there is no proven market". I have to admit I do this sometimes myself. But if that were really and truly the case all the time with Disney, there never would have been a Mickey Mouse, Disneyland, or everything that came after that. Many of what we now consider to be great innovations by Disney were once ideas like "I wish ..... was the case."
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #125
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I think I have a new one. People who criticise other people's pet peeves on a pet peeve thread. I'm all for discussion, but this I just don't get. A particular peeve may not be irksome to you, but it obviously is to someone. :goodvbes
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #126
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
TOTALLY !!! The first page or 2, where they describe the resort and show pics is very helpful...after that it seems like everyone is just talking about when they're going, Uncle Joe is sick this week, Susie got an A in science..........
You forgot recipes, local weather conditions, and pictures of granddaugters. This kind of stuff belongs on the community boards, but at the end of the day shouldn't the moderators be doing a better job of enforcing dis rules about posting.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #127
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I think everyone's just having a little bit of fun and laughing a little bit. It's not meant to be antagonistic.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #128
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four View Post
Or this one...."I booked a standard room/standard view, but I HAVE to be close to the food court, close to the pool, close to transportation, close to the parking lot, on the second floor, third door down from the right, facing east....oh and I want a nice view too. What room should I request?"

Oh well, I guess if my biggest gripes today are about how people post on a Disney planning website, then life is pretty good!
So true!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #129
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

As we have all deviated a bit from the resorts part of this here is something that really bugs me:

Just because you don't like something at WDW doesn't mean it is bad and needs to be fixed to your standards. People complain all the time about how they don't like a certain ride or resort or menu, and IT MUST BE CHANGED TO HOW I LIKE IT!!!!

No it doesn't. Some of us like Malestrom, or the burgers at Pecos Bills, or the theming of the food court at POFQ. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is wrong or bad. We don't all like the same things. Go eat somewhere where you like the menu and the decor, stay somewhere where you like the theming. Plenty of stuff to chose from at WDW.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #130
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

My biggest pet peeve:

When someone has a bad time/issue at Disney and they hear from the Disneycheer squad.

" When you get lemons, make lemonade" or

" a bad day at Disney is better than a good day at work"

Um, not always. Sometimes people have valid gripes and they should be able to air them without having to be told to make citrus drinks.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #131
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

My pet peeve is when someone doesn't like a thread, but they stay around and keep complaining about it. There are so many threads on the DIS that there must be multiple threads that please every individual poster. It would be easier to move on to a pleasing thread, than to stick around and complain about one they don't like.

I don't understand why some posters raise the same complaint over and over until eventually a moderator has to come in and send posters to a time out. The moderators should be there to keep out the flamers and trolls, not to make sure regular posters act like grown ups.

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
JanetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #132
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
My pet peeve is when someone doesn't like a thread, but they stay around and keep complaining about it. There are so many threads on the DIS that there must be multiple threads that please every individual poster. It would be easier to move on to a pleasing thread, than to stick around and complain about one they don't like.

I don't understand why some posters raise the same complaint over and over until eventually a moderator has to come in and send posters to a time out. The moderators should be there to keep out the flamers and trolls, not to make sure regular posters act like grown ups.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #133
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post

Agreed
Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #134
Tink_Or_Belle
Want to come to my High Meat party?
I'd hate to be Glazin Raisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyf View Post
Yes, and if your outsider and you ask a question they ignore you. It's like they have there own special club where they only speak to each other.
This one!!!
Tink_Or_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #135
webstah
DIS Veteran

My pet peeve will probably sound silly but...
I really get irritated when someone decides to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, and then post asking if the condiments at the food court are free because breakfast is just too expensive so we're bringing having bread delivered and don't want to buy peanut butter and plastic utensils.... Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't walk into a McDonalds to grab a straw or salt for something I bought elsewhere.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Nov 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

webstah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: