Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #106
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Another pet peeve: people who get seriously aggravated that their room wasn't ready exactly at whatever the published check-in time is. That's when check-in starts, not the exact moment at which each party arriving at that property that day will automagically have immediate access to their room.

It's even worse when the post is something like, "We always stay at ____, we love it, we go five times a year for the last xx years, but this last trip was horrible and we're NEVER going back. We've always been able to get into our room when we arrive no matter how early it is, but not this time. Our room wasn't ready until 4:20!!!!! Check-in is 4 PM! How DARE they make us wait????"
Or the ones that get there at 10 am and are ticked that their room isn't ready yet,....." I'm paying more and expect the highest level of service, I can't believe they would tell me my room isn't ready!"

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : Grand Floridian !! YAY!
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #107
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I keep coming back to this thread because the responses are making me laugh.

I think threads like these are good outlets for frustrations that might occur with a giant message board like this.

I started reading the Dis in 2009 and it was a good year before I decided to sign up as a member because the amounts of information are overwhelming (and wonderful!) I wasn't familiar with all of the lingo, and I took a good long time "studying up" before making my first post. but, even when I did, I was guilty of some of these things....and I'm some of you were too....

Perhaps, this thread can be a reminder that the Dis is supposed to be a friendly forum, so we could just help each other out on here. . Everyone is different, and has different perspectives on things.

Oh, I do use the word kiddos...all the time.

And, still trying to figure out "Chrissie's"...anyone??

Oh, and for those who don't like people pointing out CL...why? Just curious?
I have it listed in my signature, and I like it when people have it listed in theirs, just like their resorts...because it identifies people that might potentially have specific information I need if asking about CL. I know I've had people PM me based on my signature in order to ask questions and I've done the same.

Also, it might be pertinent to a question....example...."I am staying in a garden view room at Poly, where will I be located???" We'll, if the person who is asking is staying CL, and doesn't point that out, they are going to get a whole bunch of useless answers if people are pointing out buildings other than Hawaii....likewise at any other deluxe resort where you would be placed on a specific floor. I've never had an issue with it, before and after a CL stay...so, just curious.

So, whoa! Lot more than I meant to write....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #108
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Oh, and for those who don't like people pointing out CL...why? Just curious?
I have it listed in my signature, and I like it when people have it listed in theirs, just like their resorts...because it identifies people that might potentially have specific information I need if asking about CL. I know I've had people PM me based on my signature in order to ask questions and I've done the same.

Also, it might be pertinent to a question....example...."I am staying in a garden view room at Poly, where will I be located???" We'll, if the person who is asking is staying CL, and doesn't point that out, they are going to get a whole bunch of useless answers if people are pointing out buildings other than Hawaii....likewise at any other deluxe resort where you would be placed on a specific floor. I've never had an issue with it, before and after a CL stay...so, just curious.

So, whoa! Lot more than I meant to write....

Why? Because it is perceived as snooty. There is gratuitous overuse of the "CL" all over this resort board. It is fine if one is asking something pertinent to CL but to constantly refer to staying at Poly CL or GF RPC or ... is just inserting needless classification for one's own ego. No one constantly classifies their stay as POR-preferred location water view or WL bunk beds woods view or .... in their conversations or signatures as to what resort they are staying. It is only discussed when it is relevant to the conversation but many(not all) patrons of the resort board staying CL seem to feel the need to insert that detail in every conversation.

And yes.....it is also one of my pet peeves....

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #109
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom

Why? Because it is perceived as snooty. There is gratuitous overuse of the "CL" all over this resort board. It is fine if one is asking something pertinent to CL but to constantly refer to staying at Poly CL or GF RPC or ... is just inserting needless classification for one's own ego. No one constantly classifies their stay as POR-preferred location water view or WL bunk beds woods view or .... in their conversations or signatures as to what resort they are staying. It is only discussed when it is relevant to the conversation but many(not all) patrons of the resort board staying CL seem to feel the need to insert that detail in every conversation.

Perception is different from person to person. While you perceive it as snooty, others perceive it as simply being specific. Take it as snooty, or not. That's your choice.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #110
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Why? Because it is perceived as snooty. There is gratuitous overuse of the "CL" all over this resort board. It is fine if one is asking something pertinent to CL but to constantly refer to staying at Poly CL or GF RPC or ... is just inserting needless classification for one's own ego.
I always saw it as a location pointer. Like POR Royal Room, or AoA Cars, or something like that. I see people put their view up all the time as well, Poly LV or TPV. It doesn't bug me, but I can see how it could seem snooty if it's taken as somebody bragging about it.

I am more bugged by people who look down on other people's choices, or who infer that a certain "type" of person or a particular social class would stay at one resort vs. another.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #111
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I think mine have to be starting an entire new thread with has anyone ever been to ....... what's it like. There are clearly threads for each resort, with information about the resort on the first page of the thread with all the info.

I can see if you have a specific question, but if you are looking for general info; I would always check the thread.

The other one is I am going in January; will it be too cold to swim in the pools. It is very hard to predict the weather that far in advance; Florida is part of the Atlantic, not the Caribbean. Second, that is such a subjective question.

It could be in the 50's and I could be very comfortable and the person standing next to me could be freezing. It just all depends what part of the country you are coming from as well.

I always say to check the temperature a few days before you leave and pack accordingly.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #112
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post

I guess I could see that....but I do see people put there room types all the time as well...I don't think it's snooty, but it's a matter of perception.
Per your signature, I see you have had a few stays at the Poly...are you rich??? You must be a deluxe snob, huh? I guess anyone could percieve anything as being snooty. I, for one, don't take it that way...but I might be more apt to come to you for questions about the Poly based on your signature.
For the record, I am the least snooty person on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Perception is different from person to person. While you perceive it as snooty, others perceive it as simply being specific. Take it as snooty, or not. That's your choice.
I go with the specific perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
I always saw it as a location pointer. Like POR Royal Room, or AoA Cars, or something like that. I see people put their view up all the time as well, Poly LV or TPV. It doesn't bug me, but I can see how it could seem snooty if it's taken as somebody bragging about it.

I am more bugged by people who look down on other people's choices, or who infer that a certain "type" of person or a particular social class would stay at one resort vs. another.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #113
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Mine have been mentioned already:

1. Copying all the photos when replying to a post. Ugh.

2. Using the resort-specific threads as a chat room. I understand that friendships are formed on DIS and that's great -- start a new thread for it and let the resort thread remain about the resort. So hard to find information/get answers on some of those threads because of it.

3. "What's the weather like...." Weather.com anyone?

4. People who get personally offended when someone doesn't share their opinion about a resort. If everyone liked the same things, Disney wouldn't have so many completely different resorts.

5. Answers along the lines of, "Well, I've never stayed there, but here's why I hate it...." Wha?
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #114
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Everyone is different, and has different perspectives on things.
Agreed. Some of the things listed in this thread don't bug me in the least, but I think it's interesting to read them. While it's probably wise to take note of common themes in a peeves thread, I wouldn't worry too much about the rest. I concluded a long time ago that even my most well-intended post will probably irritate somebody - it's just the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Oh, I do use the word kiddos...all the time.
Lots of people do! I've even called my son "kiddo" from time to time, but for some reason "the kiddos" is on my peeve list. In any case, I'm sure FAR more people like the term than dislike it.

Quote:
And, still trying to figure out "Chrissie's"...anyone??
Given that it was capitalized, my best guess is Christmas?
kungaloosh22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #115
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungaloosh22 View Post
Agreed. Some of the things listed in this thread don't bug me in the least, but I think it's interesting to read them. While it's probably wise to take note of common themes in a peeves thread, I wouldn't worry too much about the rest. I concluded a long time ago that even my most well-intended post will probably irritate somebody - it's just the nature of the beast.

Lots of people do! I've even called my son "kiddo" from time to time, but for some reason "the kiddos" is on my peeve list. In any case, I'm sure FAR more people like the term than dislike it.

Given that it was capitalized, my best guess is Christmas?
After thinking about it some more, I am wondering if it's for Crystal Palace???

PAST TRIPS:
Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #116
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

My pet peeve is based on using the resort specific threads. If you start a new thread about a specific resort question someone might say "ask in the resort specific thread", but there are so many people chit chatting about everyday life and whatnot that it takes forever to find the information you need in those threads (for some threads not all of them). Or you ask a question and it gets lost in the thread and never answered because between your question and anyone who could answer it is pages upon pages of babble!

Maybe it's just me, but anything beyond the first couple of pages of a resort specific thread is just hard to use. I know people make friends and want to stay connected though so I'm sure that's why it's like that.

Though that's a pet peeve it doesn't stop me from using the board and of course I still love it, flaws and all!

BabyFu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #117
cceandme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samacita
This thread is hilarious - I love it!

My biggest pet peeve is the personal attacks. Completely unnecessary and annoying to wade through when I'm hunting for useful information.
YES!! Hate when someone tries to make another person feel stupid just because they haven't been to Disney a gazillion times. Please people. These boards are here so people can ask questions.

Me(Rhonda)38, Randy39 ,Chelsea 20, Cody 19 , Ethan 13 ,
Also at home a dog, a cat, a Macaw, a Ball python, a Leopard Gecko and a goldfish
cceandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #118
debjk4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethG View Post
Some of mine:

1. Copious use of emoticons.

2. Adding an 's' to places like Ohanas or Bay Lake Towers.
(I'm going to Burger Kings for dinner before checking into the Holiday Inns)

3. I agree with 'ressies', but I throw up in my mouth a little when someone types 'brekkie' instead of breakfast.
Soo funny and true!

(did you notice that I didn't use emoticons! (smile wink)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #119
disneydiva1313
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Mine are the use of acronyms for evvvverything - yo I was at CR in the CL after I got back from F! with my DH and DS and DD (8) then we went to MK via the TTC. MNSSHP was happening and it was cool to get a snack with the DDxDP. Favorite snack was from ASM better than most TS offerings, Headed to AKL with DH tomorrow for KS hope it's awesome! Then finish up at B&C at the BC don't even need an ADR! YMMV IMHO! Make sure you get the SV at AKL if renting DVC. Pass the ROFR before contract is valid! SSR and OKW FTW! AoA! SAB is awesome and so close to the IG!
I totally agree!!!!
disneydiva1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #120
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Christmas. It was on the DIS a few years ago.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: