Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #196
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!
 
ElizabethG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
Oh, what about calling CRT, "Cindy's"!!!!!! What,you're eating in the castle so now you're on a new nickname basis? That's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoedoc View Post
I call it Cindy's. I also tell my son its my castle and Cindy stole it from me. Got a great laugh when he told Cinderella that. She didn't know what to say. Had us all laughing so hard. Its a great family tradition at our yearly Disney trip. Its something my son will always remember. That makes it special.

So people chill out. The anger on these boards is terrible. Especially because we are talking about the most wonderful place in the world. Yep. I believe in pixie dust and the power of this magical mouse. I wish people who don't would stop trying to ruin it for those of us who do.
I'm wondering if these are two different things. Do you refer to it as Cindy's in your thread posts or just with your family? While one is vomit inducing, the other is not. The pet peeve refers to posts. I wouldn't refer to my DH, DS, and DD as honey, sweets, and baby girl in my posts because (insert barfing emoticon). I might actually call them that, though.
__________________
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #197
Little_Sister
Mouse ears and pigtails!
 
Little_Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 283

Funny!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
I despise the person who came up with "ressies"
oh my god this cracked me up!

I completely agree....it's right up there with "hubby"....gah!!!
__________________
January 26, 2014!!!



1979 – Polynesian 1990 – Offsite 1991 – Offsite 1992 – Offsite 2007 – Coronado Springs/Grand Floridian 2008 – Caribbean Beach
2009 – Contemporary 2010 – Contemporary 2011 – Contemporary 2013 – Bay Lake Tower 2014 – Wilderness Lodge Villas
Little_Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #198
Little_Sister
Mouse ears and pigtails!
 
Little_Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
I have a lot of pet peeves but the ones that come to mind first are dining reviews or questions that refer to food as yummy. It makes me think the food is for kids and not adults.

Anyone who thinks that a question is not worthwhile. Somewhere, way back when, I was always taught that there are no dumb questions. If a thread doesn't interest me, I just move on
I completely agree!

I recall asking for people's opinions on their favorite restaurants/dishes once--just wanted to maybe find something good I've never tried before... someone felt the need to reply that their opinion shouldn't matter to me and it was silly for me to even ask because we may not like the same things....seriously?!?!?!

It's that kind of prickly ugliness that completely turns me off of the board sometimes.

There's not a whole lot of "live and let live here" on the boards--which is sad when we all come here for the same reason...because Disney is so wonderful.
__________________
January 26, 2014!!!



1979 – Polynesian 1990 – Offsite 1991 – Offsite 1992 – Offsite 2007 – Coronado Springs/Grand Floridian 2008 – Caribbean Beach
2009 – Contemporary 2010 – Contemporary 2011 – Contemporary 2013 – Bay Lake Tower 2014 – Wilderness Lodge Villas
Little_Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #199
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!
 
sydneysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethG View Post
I'm wondering if these are two different things. Do you refer to it as Cindy's in your thread posts or just with your family? While one is vomit inducing, the other is not. The pet peeve refers to posts. I wouldn't refer to my DH, DS, and DD as honey, sweets, and baby girl in my posts because (insert barfing emoticon). I might actually call them that, though.
Me personally, I do not refer to it as "Cindy's". But that's me....she's not Cindy in the movies or the books, she's Cinderella. If we're eating there, we call it "eating in the castle". Who knows, that might annoy someone.... But it's like someone else said about "Vicky and Al's"...it just rubs some people wrong. It's not a big deal, it's just my opinion.
__________________
Sydney's Step Mom
me DH DD8 bebe ellie chloe phoebe

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #200
blackacex2
Mouseketeer
 
blackacex2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 351

Another pet peeve I have is the microscopic profile pics on DIS. Would love if they were more of a standard size-a pic is worth 1,000 words
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #201
samacita
Mouseketeer
 
samacita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 356

I thought of another one...

Often when there are two or more posts with different viewpoints, another poster will suddenly chime in with "Relax!!!" or "I don't know why people get so heated..." when the conversation had been progressing just fine without any tension at all. I think it's those dramatic reactions that introduce conflict, when there really wasn't any to begin with.
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #202
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Sister View Post
oh my god this cracked me up!

I completely agree....it's right up there with "hubby"....gah!!!
see, now I love to call my husband "hubby". "husband" sounds so formal. significant other? partner? spouse?

no, none fit. if the people I am talking to know him, I just say "nebo". otherwise, I think it's kinda cute to refer to him as "hubby".
and it would be cool it he referred to me as "wifey" (as opposed to "she who must not be disturbed")
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #203
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Sister

oh my god this cracked me up!

I completely agree....it's right up there with "hubby"....gah!!!
I prefer hubs ;-)
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #204
MickeyT
DIS Veteran
 
MickeyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Flopeye, SC
Posts: 1,676

I'm going to try and explain one of the pet peeves that has been repeated serveral times on this thread. I am not trying to tell anyone that this pet peeve is wrong. If it ticks you off it ticks you off. No problem. We are all differnent.

My name is Mike and I'm a Yacht and Beach Club resort board chat addict. I have built a group of friends that read and post several times a week if not daily. We do try to answer each and every question. Do questions get missed? Sure. I read questions all the time that I have no idea of an answer or more likely I'm not sure my answer is correct so I don't reply (no information is better than wrong information). If you can't find a reply to your post, just repost. Many times we find unaswered questions and drag them to the front and ask again for the poster

As far as the links to another post or even website, I've done this many times. The informtion Iam redirecting you to is usally very detailed and correctly answers said question. Many times we notice the poster is new so we will direct them to page 1 of the thread or the main sections of DIS that has the correct answer to a general question.

So now to the issue of the chit chat. We do talk about recipes, local weather conditions, and post pictures of granddaugters. If you listen to DIS Unplugged or any other Disney podcast their conversations usually do too. I see the threads as a hangout where we can help people. We hang out there so we can be there to answer questions. Thats what keeps us coming back on an hourly/daily basis to check. If we just pulled up the board and said "Nope. No questions. I'm going over to my community board. There is no way we would stay interested or more importantanly build the family of friends and resources to answer more questions. Many times the new folks in the chit chat are the most valuable resource. They are going now and can get a real time answer to a real time question!

Do we get off track. Yep. But we do try to reel it in when it's gone on long enough. And I will say. We have helped hundreds (maybe thousands) have a better visit. Many come back and thank us. And I think the moderators know this and work with us. I won't try to guess how many hours have gone into the research, photographing and resource building on most of these resort threads. We do the grunt work for DIS. Glad to. Enjoy it.
__________________
Over at our place, we're sure of just one thing: everybody in the world was once a child.

MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #205
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,633

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post


So now to the issue of the chit chat. We do talk about recipes, local weather conditions, and post pictures of granddaugters. If you listen to DIS Unplugged or any other Disney podcast their conversations usually do too. I see the threads as a hangout where we can help people. We hang out there so we can be there to answer questions. Thats what keeps us coming back on an hourly/daily basis to check. If we just pulled up the board and said "Nope. No questions. I'm going over to my community board. There is no way we would stay interested or more importantanly build the family of friends and resources to answer more questions. Many times the new folks in the chit chat are the most valuable resource. They are going now and can get a real time answer to a real time question!
I will admit to being someone who is bugged when the chit chat on certain posts goes on and on. If someone is looking for info on a specific resort they are usually pointed to that resort's fact thread. And then if they have to wade through a bunch of random talk it can get pretty frustrating. In addition, a lot of chit chat can make you feel as if you are intruding by posting a question. Which is not a good feeling.

I guess what I am trying to say is we all need to be aware of what thread we are posting on, and not veer too far off course. It is just not right that some posters don't feel welcome on certain threads, or that they can't find the information they need because there are too many off topic conversations going on. If things are going that far and getting that far off of topic maybe a new thread on the Community Board should be started, and that can be the place to just hand out and talk.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #206
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMomx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton Square, NJ
Posts: 11,092

I agree with Mike! Of course I think the YC/BC thread is one of the friendliest and most welcoming. You might think I'm saying that because I'm a regular poster.

For years we stayed at the GF. (BTW I think the GF thread is also very welcoming). When decided to venture our and try something new I knew nothing about BC/YC other than hearing they had a fantastic pool. The BC/YC thread was invaluable to me. I received so much good information there that I took the plunge and decided to try BC/YC. Now it is my favorite resort.

There may be "chit chat" but I honestly don't beliee anyone is made to feel unwelcome. In fact I believe the opposite is true. The BC/YC "regulars" go out of their way to welcome new posters and try to give them as much information as possible.
__________________
Robyn

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #207
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 11,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
I agree with Mike! Of course I think the YC/BC thread is one of the friendliest and most welcoming. You might think I'm saying that because I'm a regular poster.

For years we stayed at the GF. (BTW I think the GF thread is also very welcoming). When decided to venture our and try something new I knew nothing about BC/YC other than hearing they had a fantastic pool. The BC/YC thread was invaluable to me. I received so much good information there that I took the plunge and decided to try BC/YC. Now it is my favorite resort.

There may be "chit chat" but I honestly don't beliee anyone is made to feel unwelcome. In fact I believe the opposite is true. The BC/YC "regulars" go out of their way to welcome new posters and try to give them as much information as possible.
I agree with this, and I am NOT a "regular" but I have been following the thread for awhile with our upcoming YC stay in April. I have gotten a TON of information on that thread. The chit chat doesn't bother me in the least. One thing about the YC/BC thread is that the first couple of pages really give you just about everything you need to know...it's great!!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/12/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #208
MickeyT
DIS Veteran
 
MickeyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Flopeye, SC
Posts: 1,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I will admit to being someone who is bugged when the chit chat on certain posts goes on and on. If someone is looking for info on a specific resort they are usually pointed to that resort's fact thread. And then if they have to wade through a bunch of random talk it can get pretty frustrating. In addition, a lot of chit chat can make you feel as if you are intruding by posting a question. Which is not a good feeling.

I guess what I am trying to say is we all need to be aware of what thread we are posting on, and not veer too far off course. It is just not right that some posters don't feel welcome on certain threads, or that they can't find the information they need because there are too many off topic conversations going on. If things are going that far and getting that far off of topic maybe a new thread on the Community Board should be started, and that can be the place to just hand out and talk.
And that's what makes this thread great. We can state our differences without saying YOU ARE WRONG . Thanks!


This thread made me look at other Resort FAQ threads. It seems to me that a couple do follow the question/answer format. A few more do the chit chat and answer questions,. And a few are just dead or non existant.

Once again. It's nice to have a place where we can share our differences without getting slammed......
__________________
Over at our place, we're sure of just one thing: everybody in the world was once a child.

MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #209
samacita
Mouseketeer
 
samacita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I will admit to being someone who is bugged when the chit chat on certain posts goes on and on. If someone is looking for info on a specific resort they are usually pointed to that resort's fact thread. And then if they have to wade through a bunch of random talk it can get pretty frustrating..
I wonder if a possible solution would be to still post the link, but maybe refer to the specific sections that offer the best information. Something like: "check out pages 3-5 of this link for a detailed discussion of what you're looking for..."

Just an idea!!
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #210
AliceIn
DIS Veteran
 
AliceIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 1,268

My pet peeve:

The wet blanket people. You know the ones. They love to show up on a thread to be the rain at the parade, the pin to pop the bubbles, or the dagger to kill the joy.
__________________
Me, DH, DS 13, DS 10, DD 9



AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.