Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Can't decide resort for two nights. Kinda going crazy- need input!

I've asked this question in different ways in some other posts but I figured I'd include the full situation here and see what input I can get from all of you wonderful people.

My wife and I are going to WDW Saturday April 13 - Saturday April 20th. The 17th is our third wedding anniversary We are arriving in Orlando at 3:30 PM and renting a car. We will be departing Orlando at 6:00 PM on the 20th.

We are staying at the Boardwalk Inn the 15th-20th in a boardwalk (water) view room, but need to book a hotel for the first two nights the 13th-15th.

Originally I was thinking the Swan because we could get two free nights there using Starwood points (almost free, there's about $60 worth of resort fees involved).

Now- we've never stayed at a disney resort before (unless you count when I was 12 at all star music). I am really wanting the full "disney" experience and now we are leaning toward staying at either a moderate or deluxe for those first two nights.

In a nutshell- would you rather stay for 2 nights at:

The Swan- $60 (minus opportunity cost of using credit card points for other travel)

The grand floridian garden view room for- $564 total

Contemporary Theme Park view for- $612.74 total

Yacht Club Pool View for- $527 total

Port Orleans Riverside river view royal guest room for- $235 total

Port Orleans French Quarter river view for- $198 total

Caribbean Beach Resort water view for- $195 total

Art of Animation Lion King Suite- $312.94 total

Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View- $447 total

Coronado Springs Business Class- $285 total

Old Key West Studio- $354

Boardwalk Inn Water View (but need to switch rooms)- $552
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
AndiSlamberg
Mouseketeer

If money isn't an issue I would pick the resort that appeals to you most. Go all out, and do what you really want.

If money is an issue AOA is super cute and would def. immerse you in the full Disney experience, but if you can save money by staying at the Swan then I would do that.
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
karenell
Mouseketeer

Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland (the OTHER side of the Bay)

Since both reservations at the Boardwalk Inn would be for the same category room, simply tell them that you have two separate reservation numbers when you check in and you shouldn't have to change rooms. At most, you may have to have to exchange your room keys between reservations. (I can't tell you how many times I've done this!)
karenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenell
Since both reservations at the Boardwalk Inn would be for the same category room, simply tell them that you have two separate reservation numbers when you check in and you shouldn't have to change rooms. At most, you may have to have to exchange your room keys between reservations. (I can't tell you how many times I've done this!)
Thanks! I did not realize that was a possibility!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiSlamberg
If money isn't an issue I would pick the resort that appeals to you most. Go all out, and do what you really want.

If money is an issue AOA is super cute and would def. immerse you in the full Disney experience, but if you can save money by staying at the Swan then I would do that.
Yeah I am kind of feeling the go all out idea. I have never once regretted spending money on a Disney vacation and I don't think I will this time either. I am just wondering if the GF construction will be bad and if we should avoid it for that reason. Contemporary is exciting to me but my wife has no interest in the place.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
LPnerd
Mouseketeer

staying at the boardwalk in the same room is the easiest option,. BUT, it money is no object I suggest thinking about staying at either Animal Kingdom ,or contemporary resort . this will give you easy access to one of these parks for two days. If you like the animals, there is nothing like waking up to giraffe and zebras grazing outside your window. plus access to AK is a snap by the bus.
or maybe, seeing the MK at night, two nights fireworks, access to the park via a nice walk or the monorail could be fun and when you switch hotels, send your luggage via disney, and yourselves via the monorail to epcot! you can check in from your hotel to boardwalk , and just stop at desk for your keys!
The swan is a beautiful resort, but its the same view and access your going to have at Boarwalk as they are next to each other. I have stayed at both AK and contemp. You might want to aty at AK and get signed up for the early morning tour... it's amazing and might be a good anniversary treat!
LPnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Well obviously the Swan is the most economical choice...

As for the Disney hotels, since you are already staying at the BWI, I would either choose AKL or a MK resort. (I'd actually prefer AKL CL to a savanna room). GF is under construction, so I personally wouldn't want to be there now. But CR could be fun, too.

I'd avoid the Epcot resorts (YC, BC, S/D) since you'll have most of your trip in that area anyway.

Haven't tried any mods, so I can't really comment on them. But we often do split stays at WDW and enjoy the different "feel" from one resort area to another.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd
staying at the boardwalk in the same room is the easiest option,. BUT, it money is no object I suggest thinking about staying at either Animal Kingdom ,or contemporary resort . this will give you easy access to one of these parks for two days. If you like the animals, there is nothing like waking up to giraffe and zebras grazing outside your window. plus access to AK is a snap by the bus.
or maybe, seeing the MK at night, two nights fireworks, access to the park via a nice walk or the monorail could be fun and when you switch hotels, send your luggage via disney, and yourselves via the monorail to epcot! you can check in from your hotel to boardwalk , and just stop at desk for your keys!
The swan is a beautiful resort, but its the same view and access your going to have at Boarwalk as they are next to each other. I have stayed at both AK and contemp. You might want to aty at AK and get signed up for the early morning tour... it's amazing and might be a good anniversary treat!
Thank you SO much for the suggestions. AKL would be unique and is very reasonably priced. Contemporary would be out of this world with a Magic Kingdom view room! I wonder if people would suggest that over the grand Floridian. It sounds ridiculous but I wish there were less choices. I have a hard time deciding!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Boomstickchic
Earning My Ears

Since you are already going to be staying at an Epcot resort, why not stay in a different location for a couple of days? The Swan is very nice, but if you are looking to be immersed in Disney magic, it's probably not the best choice. I say try a resort with a great theme like Animal Kingdom or Port Orleans. Good luck!
Boomstickchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears
Well obviously the Swan is the most economical choice...

As for the Disney hotels, since you are already staying at the BWI, I would either choose AKL or a MK resort. (I'd actually prefer AKL CL to a savanna room). GF is under construction, so I personally wouldn't want to be there now. But CR could be fun, too.

I'd avoid the Epcot resorts (YC, BC, S/D) since you'll have most of your trip in that area anyway.

Haven't tried any mods, so I can't really comment on them. But we often do split stays at WDW and enjoy the different "feel" from one resort area to another.
Any idea how obtrusive the construction will be in April ? As long as the beach and pools are open I'd be mostly happy. AKL is appealing in some respects but we are hitting the magic kingdom pretty hard our first day and being on the monorail would be pretty amazing.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

Akl

I've heard so many great thing about AKL, I would love the chance to stay there a couple of nights. I know the food in all the restaurants is great. I've eaten at Sanaa & Jiko, plus have Boma on my list for my next visit in May.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Any idea how obtrusive the construction will be in April ? As long as the beach and pools are open I'd be mostly happy. AKL is appealing in some respects but we are hitting the magic kingdom pretty hard our first day and being on the monorail would be pretty amazing.
You can see photos of it here on the DIS, if you look around. People are posting pretty much every day. They are building a huge DVC building, and I hear that there is quite a bit of noise from construction. And the pool in the middle is being renovated... not sure when it will all be done, but from what I've seen firsthand and online, I wouldn't want to pay premium prices to stay there right now. Some people don't mind it, though. Normally I would say AKL or the GF (and def. the GF if you're planning to be at the MK those days). Another option is the WL...

It's hard to say if the construction will bother you or not. It is right by the beach (when we were last there, the construction walls made the pool and beach area not so nice).

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
It sounds ridiculous but I wish there were less choices. I have a hard time deciding!
I have an easier time deciding at WDW with all the choices... Right now I'm struggling to choose 1 of 2 hotels in Disneyland.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Here's a photo we took of GF a few weeks ago:

They're adding an entire DVC building, it's nowhere near done and definitely won't be done by April.

I've said it on a couple of threads now, I think you should just add two days to your Boardwalk stay. I've stayed at AKL and CR and love, love, LOVE them both. And I've done split stays. But in your situation, if you want a carefree, romantic anniversary trip, stay put at BW. Unpack, enjoy the scenery. There will be other trips to try other resorts. Totally up to you.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose
Here's a photo we took of GF a few weeks ago:

They're adding an entire DVC building, it's nowhere near done and definitely won't be done by April.

I've said it on a couple of threads now, I think you should just add two days to your Boardwalk stay. I've stayed at AKL and CR and love, love, LOVE them both. And I've done split stays. But in your situation, if you want a carefree, romantic anniversary trip, stay put at BW. Unpack, enjoy the scenery. There will be other trips to try other resorts. Totally up to you.
Thanks for the photo and advice! Looks like a serious construction zone. I'll have to head over to the Floridian board to find out if the beach is accessible. Adding nights to boardwalk makes more sense to us now that I know we could keep the same room with 2 different reservations in the same booking category.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: