Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran

OMG...we leave in 8 days, DD has flu!

I'm freaking out I'm lysoling everything and bleaching everything. I have her quaranteend in her room . Can i still get trip insurance?
Will tamiflu somewhat prevent anyone else getting the flu, what if we take it as soon as we feel a little crappy? Ugh!!! this is my worse nightmare come true
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(19)DD(17)
DD(12)DD(6)

breakingd_awn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Wildernessbride2005
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingd_awn View Post
I'm freaking out I'm lysoling everything and bleaching everything. I have her quaranteend in her room . Can i still get trip insurance?
Will tamiflu somewhat prevent anyone else getting the flu, what if we take it as soon as we feel a little crappy? Ugh!!! this is my worse nightmare come true
I'm a believer in vitamin C to fight illness. Good luck. Luckily you still have a week to keep everyone healthy.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
outtabux
Earning My Ears

I would ask the Dr. to put your whole family on Tamiflu. I have heard some will do it and considering your circumstances, hopefully they will work with you.
outtabux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I posted pretty much this exact same message a few weeks ago. First of all, if it's been less than 48 hours since your DD started showing symptoms, get her on Tamiflu. Then, call everyone's doctor in the family, explain the situation and ask for prophylactic Tamiflu for the rest of you. We did exactly that, and DS was better about 4 days before we left. The rest of us stayed on Tamiflu during the cruise. None of the rest of us got it. I called Disney, and they told me that DS would be allowed to board as long as he didn't have fever at the time of boarding. Luckily, he was fever free well before then, so we didn't even have to check the little box that he'd had a fever within the past 72 hours . Anyhow, get Tamiflu NOW, for all of you!! --Katie
Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Hopefully, she will get better by the time you leave.

You have to get the trip insurance BEFORE (or at the time of) you make final payment. I suspect it is too late for you.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
1princess1prince
Mouseketeer

When we went 2 years ago I bought trip insurance about 2 weeks before we left - mine had hand foot and mouth, luckily they were fine by the time we left, but I felt better having the insurance. I think it might not have covered due to some things because I bought it so late, they clearly told me it would have covered due to illness.

Hope everyone else stays healthy and dd gets better quickly - here in our house I had it 3 days (no flu vaccine) , my daughter had it 1 day (had flu vaccine) and dh and DS never got it.

Good Luck!!
Summer 2011 - 5 nights on the Dream
June 2012 - WDW - 8 nights at Boardwalk Villas
June 2013 - 7 night Western Caribbean on Fantasy

13 months till Eastern Caribbean
1princess1prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Hopefully, she will get better by the time you leave.

You have to get the trip insurance BEFORE (or at the time of) you make final payment. I suspect it is too late for you.
This is not true. Insure my Trip told me that it could be purchased even within a week of the trip. The things it covers (like pre-existing heart conditions, etc) is the only thing that will be different.

I also second the tamiflu. My brother-in-law came down with the flu exactly one week before our cruise and he went to the urgent care (waiting for 5 hours to be seen!!!!) and got some tamiflu for himself and my sister. He was better with in a few days and my sister never got it, and neither did any of the rest of us who were with him a week later. GO GET TAMIFLU!!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
You can buy outside (non-DCL) insurance up until the day before you leave on your trip. *However*, your DD would not be covered, and if any of you went to the doctor for treatment before you bought the insurance, it's possible they wouldn't be covered, either.

You have to be healthy and able to travel when the policy is purchased. Your daughter obviously isn't; the rest of you, it would be up to the insurance company.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you can't get Tamiflu, go to your local pharmacy and get Emergen-C. The powdered stuff that you mix with water and drink. The stuff works.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwlovin'family View Post
This is not true. Insure my Trip told me that it could be purchased even within a week of the trip. The things it covers (like pre-existing heart conditions, etc) is the only thing that will be different.

I also second the tamiflu. My brother-in-law came down with the flu exactly one week before our cruise and he went to the urgent care (waiting for 5 hours to be seen!!!!) and got some tamiflu for himself and my sister. He was better with in a few days and my sister never got it, and neither did any of the rest of us who were with him a week later. GO GET TAMIFLU!!!!
Because she is already sick it would be considered a preexisting illness and it would not be covered. Otherwise everyone who gets sick the week before a trip would buy insurance and the company would be paying out all the time.

OP, I am sorry your daughter is ill. I hope she feels better soon and you are able to go. You still have a week. Call your Dr about Tamiflu. See if you can get it for everyone in your family. It is worth it. And remember to have everyone wash their hands frequently and for a good amount of time. (I have my kids sing "happy birthday" the "ABC" song or "Twinkle Twinkle little star".) Hand washing seems obvious but it the most effective prevention. Hope she feels better soon.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Get some masks, too. When I had the flu in December, the Urgent Care do sent some home with me. Of course, DH refused to use it, so he got sick, too. (DD was already sick).
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran

i made an appointment to get the tamiflu for us all. The secretary said you have to have the flu to take tamiflu, which is crap. On their website, it even says it can prevent it. The night before she woke up sick, we were all playing the game of Life. So im wondering what the incubation period is ? Our appt is on monday. Im hoping everything works out. Weve been looking forward to this trip for a year, even my 4yr old is nervous.
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(19)DD(17)
DD(12)DD(6)

breakingd_awn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

If you have an urgent care near you I would go today and not wait till Monday to get the prescription.

Good luck!
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i made an appointment to get the tamiflu for us all. The secretary said you have to have the flu to take tamiflu, which is crap. On their website, it even says it can prevent it. The night before she woke up sick, we were all playing the game of Life. So im wondering what the incubation period is ? Our appt is on monday. Im hoping everything works out. Weve been looking forward to this trip for a year, even my 4yr old is nervous.
Can you go somewhere else? Because that isn't true. Orders for prophylaxis treatment of Tamiflu for families in this situation happen often and it does work. Do not listen to the secretary. Get the doctor or nurse on the phone. Do you have an urgent care? A friend in medicine who can call a friend? Try everything you can to get that script.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Hope she gets better and no one else gets it.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: