DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreisgood View Post
I've never heard about 31 and 7 day wait lists. How do they each work?
I don't think there are two wait lists. I think there is just one wait list and one of the pieces of information (along with the resort, room type, check-in date and number of nights) is the expiration date. When they set up your wait list you can request to have it expire either 31 days out or 7 days out.

If you are waitlisting for something that costs the same or more points you can opt to stay on the wait list until 7 days out. If you are waitlisting for something that costs fewer points then you would most likely want to have the waitlist expire 31 days out to avoid having the points that are freed up go into the Holding account.

Once you are within 7 days of check-in you can still check online or call MS to see if there is availability for the room you want, again assuming you want to change to something that costs the same or more points (or you don't care about losing the points, you really want that room!). There are times when guests cancel at the last minute so even within 7 days of check-in, you might find the room you want has suddenly become available.

Last edited by LisaS; 02-16-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Fix typo
LisaS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
I don't think there are two wait lists. I think there is just one wait list and one of the pieces of information (along with the resort, room type, check-in date and number of nights) is the expiration date. When they set up your wait list you can request to have it expire either 31 days out or 7 days out.

If you are waitlisting for something that costs the same or more points you can opt to stay on the wait list until 7 days out. If you are waitlisting for something that costs fewer points then you would most likely want to have the waitlist expire 31 days out to avoid having the points that are freed up go into the Holding account.

Once you are within 7 days of check-in you can still check online or call MS to see if there is availability for the room you want, again assuming you want to change to something that costs the same or more points (or you don't care about losing the points, you really want that room!). There are times when guests cancel at the last minute so even within 7 days or check-in, you might find the room you want has suddenly become available.
Well stated!!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
moreisgood
Falling in love

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post

Once you are within 7 days of check-in you can still check online or call MS to see if there is availability for the room you want, again assuming you want to change to something that costs the same or more points (or you don't care about losing the points, you really want that room!). There are times when guests cancel at the last minute so even within 7 days or check-in, you might find the room you want has suddenly become available.
That's a very good strategy!
moreisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
crisi
DIS Veteran

Another plan which will work pretty well if home is a bigger resort is to book one less night at home, so you are using fewer points. When you switch at seven, add the night you want. If the rooms aren't available wanted to switch to, add the night at home and be content.

Its rare to have an issue booking right at seven months at SSR, OKW or the savannah view rooms at VAKL (though you might have to move Jambo to Kidani), and its common for the waitlist at BWV not to come through for standard view rooms booked at seven months from late September through mid-January.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
moreisgood
Falling in love

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Another plan which will work pretty well if home is a bigger resort is to book one less night at home, so you are using fewer points. When you switch at seven, add the night you want. If the rooms aren't available wanted to switch to, add the night at home and be content.

Its rare to have an issue booking right at seven months at SSR, OKW or the savannah view rooms at VAKL (though you might have to move Jambo to Kidani), and its common for the waitlist at BWV not to come through for standard view rooms booked at seven months from late September through mid-January.
In my mind, it seems that OKW and SSR, are where I'd end up, if I'm late in planning. there are so many units there. And you mentioned BWV. I think that's where I should buy (or BCV) if we want a chance to stay there during F&W, when the kids gets older. The thought of being near the MK is nice, but walking "home" after dinner in Epcot sounds like longer term plan.

And we could always reserve a one bedroom at our home resort (not optimal, but doable), and then try to get a 2 BR at another resort.
moreisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: