Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #436
Brixton
Missing Maine, Substituting Mickey

I just called DCL yesterday & switched our cabin to the "right" side of the ship! We missed many views this year, thrilled to be on the other side in 2014 People seem to be 50/50 on secret portholes, we'll see how it goes.

No candy exchange for us, but we'll happily contribute ALL of our FE candy to anyone who wants it We ended up with backpack full of candy this year, far too much for kids who hate chocolate. We're DEFINITELY in for t-shirts!

Welcome to all who joined this thread. Yet another San Diego family has joined this group, that makes a half-dozen local families Hope everyone is well and happy and enjoying the Summer.

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #437
aan1701
DIS Veteran

What do you consider the Right side? We were very happy on the Port side for this years. Put us on the visitors center side for canal day. We are on the same side again.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #438
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

I like Port side too for that reason, though we were Starboard for our first transit but were on deck anyway for passing the visitor centre. It is a lot of fun. Unfortunately it won't be a Sunday this time when we transit. There was the biggest crowd this last one with it being a Sunday and also cars stopping and people waving at quite a few places along the way. I am sure no other cruise line gets such a reception. This last time we could see Minnie on the Bridge arm waving to all the visitors. So cute and of course the children just love it. They get not much chance to see Mickey and Minnie etc in 'person' at all so take the trip to the canal. Makes your eyes water it does.

granmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #439
Brixton
Missing Maine, Substituting Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
What do you consider the Right side? We were very happy on the Port side for this years. Put us on the visitors center side for canal day. We are on the same side again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
I like Port side too for that reason, though we were Starboard for our first transit but were on deck anyway for passing the visitor centre. It is a lot of fun. Unfortunately it won't be a Sunday this time when we transit. There was the biggest crowd this last one with it being a Sunday and also cars stopping and people waving at quite a few places along the way. I am sure no other cruise line gets such a reception. This last time we could see Minnie on the Bridge arm waving to all the visitors. So cute and of course the children just love it. They get not much chance to see Mickey and Minnie etc in 'person' at all so take the trip to the canal. Makes your eyes water it does.
Funny you both mention that - you're right! (And I have a great video of the hundreds of people at the visitor centre this year...it is very special) As soon as I told my husband I switched, his first complaint was about crossing day! I prefer starboard when sailing north, but I forgot about the visitor's centre

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #440
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post

Funny you both mention that - you're right! (And I have a great video of the hundreds of people at the visitor centre this year...it is very special) As soon as I told my husband I switched, his first complaint was about crossing day! I prefer starboard when sailing north, but I forgot about the visitor's centre
The other great thing about Port Side is when sailing north the sun sets on your side of the ship. Since we both like to sleep past 6-7 in morning (Ok I like till sleep to around 10-11) we don't have to worry about the sun rising and waking us in case the curtains are not closed properly.

DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #441
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

So, the port side is better for the crossing? We are starboard.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #442
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
It really depends on you. As memory serves, one we pass the lake and into the cut all the spots to view the canal are on the port side. Now i could be totally wrong about that, just the way I remember. To be honest I would not let one day of a 15 night cruise influence my picking a side of the ship to stay on. We pick port because it is also the non smoking side of deck 4 so we don't have to worry about smoke coming up from there while in port or the off chance we are sailing very slow and it can come on up. Just have to hope the neighbors don't smoke, but if they do, that's their right on DCl and that is that.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #443
jrp
DVC Since 2001* WL*F.I.F.L To Go Where No MOuse Has Gone Before!

Yep

Hi All Of course it is alright to send it from your i-phone. It was just a joke and I hope you don't take it literally. I am wutie the joker and now after 33 years as a medic/Firefighter what else can I do? It looks like bobbiwos is getting the cabin numbers but I don't mind helping anywhere I can. I hope everyone has a great day and for sure it is not that long away before the WBPC.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #444
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Hi All Of course it is alright to send it from your i-phone. It was just a joke and I hope you don't take it literally. I am wutie the joker and now after 33 years as a medic/Firefighter what else can I do? It looks like bobbiwos is getting the cabin numbers but I don't mind helping anywhere I can. I hope everyone has a great day and for sure it is not that long away before the WBPC.
I did not. As a matter of fact I sent the iPad response just to make sure you were joking. Sometimes it's hard to tell on a message board. I am super sarcastic myself so please remember that.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #445
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
I am only collecting information for the Candy Exchange. I don't have the know how to make a spreadsheet that all can add to. I am sorry if there is a misunderstanding.

If you don't want to do the CE, I understand and will delete the PM you sent!

Bobbi
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #446
granmaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
On the whole it doesn't matter as you get great views of the locks and their workings from both sides. The lake is the same wherever you are and you are in the lake for 4 hours I seem to remember. The visitor centre which is at the final lock is on the port side but you can be on deck 4 or 10 for that anyway if you want to. There is a webcam there also so being on deck to wave is quite good and you can tell your friends when to watch the webcam!!

If you like sunsets, then when on the west coast port side has them but then again many like to be on deck for those(if they are promising to be spectacular ones anyway)

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #447
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On the whole it doesn't matter as you get great views of the locks and their workings from both sides. The lake is the same wherever you are and you are in the lake for 4 hours I seem to remember. The visitor centre which is at the final lock is on the port side but you can be on deck 4 or 10 for that anyway if you want to. There is a webcam there also so being on deck to wave is quite good and you can tell your friends when to watch the webcam!!

If you like sunsets, then when on the west coast port side has them but then again many like to be on deck for those(if they are promising to be spectacular ones anyway)
Yay! We lucked out, I never thought about which side to see sunsets and all that, but we're on port anyway. It's our first time through so I don't really care as long we we're on there somewhere, but added bonus.

Coming up next: WB Panama Canal Cruise May 2014
DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #448
granmaz

We were GTY on our first transit and we booked the first day It wasn't completely sold out the first day but was a few days later. There were a whole load of us on the meet thread who were waiting for our cabin number and we had a lot of fun chatting about it. We called ourselves the Lifeboat Crew. We did get given a mid ship starboard cabin on deck 6 and were really pleased with the position. I think I was out on deck most of the day then but I can't stand the heat now. These last 5 years have made a difference! I only have to talk about it and I get excited again. It is such a great day.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #449
jrp
DVC Since 2001* WL*F.I.F.L To Go Where No MOuse Has Gone Before!

Heat

Quote:
We were GTY on our first transit and we booked the first day It wasn't completely sold out the first day but was a few days later. There were a whole load of us on the meet thread who were waiting for our cabin number and we had a lot of fun chatting about it. We called ourselves the Lifeboat Crew. We did get given a mid ship starboard cabin on deck 6 and were really pleased with the position. I think I was out on deck most of the day then but I can't stand the heat now. These last 5 years have made a difference! I only have to talk about it and I get excited again. It is such a great day.
As far as the rol call goes, I am sure someone will do it soon. I am afraid that wwith my health problems as of late I might drop the ball so to speak. bobbiwoz is doing a great job for the CE and I look forward to it. yumGranmaz you and i are in the same boat with the heat as I can't handle it anymore either Well ( deep subject) I hope everyone has a great day..
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #450
ShellB8585
Mouseketeer

We may have to leave this cruise

DH's new job keeps throwing up new challenges (and deadlines for next year) that's making it impossible for me to plan for next year at the moment.

So at the moment I am completely unsure if we will be joining you or not. I hope yes but I may have to push this cruise back a year or two....

In the meantime I will watch this thread and group grow but not get too into it as it will make it harder if we can't.

Anyway, have a great day everyone!
2011 - 2012 ~ 2 visits to DLP

7 Night Eastern Caribbean ~ Disney Magic ~ 14 Jan 2012
4 Night Mediterranean ~ Disney Magic ~ 9 July 2013

Shelley DH Carl

ShellB8585 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: