Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #811
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Ok - I have a question! And...I apologize that I don't know names yet. I will learn names soon, promise!

I emailed the lady about the Palo Group Brunch but she said to ask David (I think), so I'm just going to post my questions and hope someone knows!

Anyway - these are my questions:

When we did a group brunch in the Palo private dining room before they DID make us use our 1 lunch reservation in order to be included, the cruise line would not let us do this in addition to the one we were allowed to book. Do you know if that's still the case, or will they allow us to book our own brunch as well now? Also, previously, they made us go through all of these hoops of faxed requests with our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preferred days, etc. etc. and of course, we weren't guaranteed to get any. Will you be advising us which dates you're submitting as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preferences? We will need to know this in advance so we can book enough nursery time on the right days to cover whichever date might go through. (Most people won't have a problem with this because their kids will be old enough to enjoy the kids club, it's just that our daughter will only be 2 and the minimum age for the kids club is 3). Anyway - if you could let me know on these things, that would be great!

Coming Soon - January 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas!
October 2012: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Cruise to Nowhere)
January 2010: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Coronado Springs Resort
January 2009: Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
October 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter
xxxxMay 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort
January 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter

Kidlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #812
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

No kids for us and we'll not be staying in FL because I'll really be missing the kids after two weeks. Otherwise I'd have all kinds of plans. Of course that's my problem I always over plan.
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #813
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Welcome to everyone new!!!

If you PM me your email address that is attached to your Facebook account I will add you to that page.

Glad to see so many DVC members...so I guess we are not the only ones doing a K2K trip, hmm?

Again - welcome everyone!

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
padalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #814
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidlette View Post
Ok - I have a question! And...I apologize that I don't know names yet. I will learn names soon, promise!

I emailed the lady about the Palo Group Brunch but she said to ask David (I think), so I'm just going to post my questions and hope someone knows!

When we did a group brunch in the Palo private dining room before they DID make us use our 1 lunch reservation in order to be included, the cruise line would not let us do this in addition to the one we were allowed to book. Do you know if that's still the case, or will they allow us to book our own brunch as well now? Also, previously, they made us go through all of these hoops of faxed requests with our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preferred days, etc. etc. and of course, we weren't guaranteed to get any. Will you be advising us which dates you're submitting as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preferences? We will need to know this in advance so we can book enough nursery time on the right days to cover whichever date might go through. (Most people won't have a problem with this because their kids will be old enough to enjoy the kids club, it's just that our daughter will only be 2 and the minimum age for the kids club is 3). Anyway - if you could let me know on these things, that would be great!
Good questions Jessica. I will try to find out something for you and everyone about the Palo Brunch. I'm not sure either, so I'll ask. I believe for the group Palo Brunch we will need to link our ressies all together, and only 1 of us needs to book the brunch for the group - not sure though, but I will try to find out. At least that is the way it worked on the one group Palo Brunch DW and I did a couple of years ago. You also want to know if we would be allowed to book a Palo Brunch individually later on in the cruise, right? I will also try to find this out as well. As a group we will need to decide which sea day, or if we need to submit to Disney 3 options, we would like to do the "Group Palo Brunch." That way everyone will know in advance the day we are planning the brunch. If anyone out there has some previous experiences with this and can offer an explanation, please let us know.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #815
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts yet. In fact, I've only read the 1st post and the posts after my original, so I've pretty much read nothing! I'm going to try and catch up though and read everything in the next couple of days! With that said, I apologize if this info is somewhere and/or if it has been discussed before. If so, please forgive me.

Question 1:
I noticed from the few posts I have read that many people seem to be traveling without kids (which makes sense on a 2 week sailing). On past sailings we've found that most kids are older. Is there anyone traveling who will have a child the same age as Lorelai at the time of sailing? She will be 2 and a half. So, anyone with a 2 or 3 year old? We're going to sign up to link dining with others who have kids, but just thought we'd ask here too. We'd love some families with kids her age that we can have her hang with and/or link dining with. Thanks!

Question 2:
Anyone staying and doing a week (or any amount of time) at WDW after the sailing? For us it will depend on money - we'll have to see if we can save enough to pay this part of the trip first But - being DVC members our room would be free, and because of the cruise it's only 1 flight home, so it would almost be a shame to not go to WDW since we'll be in MCO. Really, the only cost for us would be food and tickets. Like I said though, we'll have to see how finances work out first. If we don't do that, then we might save up to try Europe or Aulani in 2015. Then again, this will be our last chance to take her to WDW and not have to pay for her ticket, lol! So maybe we should suck it up and make it happen? We'd love to hear what everyone else's plans are!
Hi Kidlette,
Our youngest 'child' is 26 , married and in grad school; so, no kids or grand kids with us on this trip. That sure makes me sound old : ( Currently, our youngest gk is 2.5yrs.
There are a few of us already committed to DisneyLand before the cruise and WDW afterwards. We'll probably stay 2 days at DL and 4 -5 days at WDW. We are currently booked at Port Orleans Riverside but that is always subject to change depending on pass holder discounts that open or possibly staying at one of the DVC villas, which we book through David's Vacation Club. I have added transportation to the resort on our cruise reservation.
While spouse hasn't confirmed his time off yet, fortunately he is 'high enough' up to be able to 'approve' his own vacation : ) so - God Willing- we are Kingdom to Kingdom bound!
You asked about ages for kids first trips: Our oldest and youngest were 4 on their first trip (WDW) and the middle was 2 (DL). 4-5 seems like the perfect age because they are really old enough to know what's going on and actually remember their first visit. Our middle child has vivid recollections of his first trip to WDW - which was his second Disney trip- because he was 6.5 yrs. He has no memory of the DL trip. We already booked a family trip / reunion group to WDW for spring of '14, and my grand kids will be 6 and 3.5 yrs. The 6 yr old heard us planning and is already excited and making plans on who he wants to meet and what he wants to do!
Anyway, whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time the first time you take your little one!
MMBL
Maria & Brian
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #816
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hi Kidlette -
I'm confused! Which 'one' lunch reservation are you referring? We've always made as many brunch, dinner specialty restaurant reservations as we have wanted without difficulty. Maybe we slipped through the cracks? Thanks!
Maria
Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #817
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

I think maybe because there is so many sea days, Disney will be more open to letting us have more than 1 reservation.

No kids from me (unless something weird happens in the next couple months. I'm on BC and don't.... So unless I have an Anakin Skywalker type situation happen--- no kids. And wow I went really nerdy there!). Our "baby" in our group is going to be 27 on the ship....and she's my friend. :lol: I will be leaving a 5 year old golden retriever at home, so I can't make too many plans before or after because my critter cries when I'm gone.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #818
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Just an FYI...my December 2013 cruise group tried to book a group brunch on Fantasy and we were told they no longer book the private dining room for brunch. I know this is the Wonder, but it may carry over to all 4 ships. Has anyone called DCL and asked the question if this is possible?

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #819
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Bob and I are also DVC members and our home resort is Beach Club . Wish we had joined a lot sooner.

OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #820
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
Just an FYI...my December 2013 cruise group tried to book a group brunch on Fantasy and we were told they no longer book the private dining room for brunch. I know this is the Wonder, but it may carry over to all 4 ships. Has anyone called DCL and asked the question if this is possible?
I'm getting in touch with DCL and hopefully I will have some answers to our questions soon. I'll be sure to ask if the private dining room will be available for a group Palo brunch. I'll let everyone know as soon as I know something.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #821
davidls
DIS Veteran

Ok everyone, here is the scoop. Just got off the phone with DCL. A very nice, courteous, and I might add patient CM was very helpful with my questions as I managed to stumble around with my questions to her.

First - The Group Palo Brunch - We all will need to link our ressies together for the group brunch, and only 1 of us needs to book the group Palo Brunch. She recommended booking the Group Brunch on-line before the cruise once our window opened up to be able to book on-line. She mentioned we will be only allowed to make just one Palo Brunch booking on-line. That's why she suggested making the group brunch on-line.

Second - As far as booking individual Palo Brunches she said we would be able to book as many individual brunches as we want once on board the ship.

And Third - The CM told me the private dining room should be available for a group brunch on board the Wonder. She wasn't sure why it was not available on the Fantasy, unless it was already being used.

I hope this helps. If we have any other questions, please let me know. I'll call again, and hopefully I can get the same nice CM who helped me this time!!!!

We Are

Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #822
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
Ok everyone, here is the scoop. Just got off the phone with DCL. A very nice, courteous, and I might add patient CM was very helpful with my questions as I managed to stumble around with my questions to her.

First - The Group Palo Brunch - We all will need to link our ressies together for the group brunch, and only 1 of us needs to book the group Palo Brunch. She recommended booking the Group Brunch on-line before the cruise once our window opened up to be able to book on-line. She mentioned we will be only allowed to make just one Palo Brunch booking on-line. That's why she suggested making the group brunch on-line.

Second - As far as booking individual Palo Brunches she said we would be able to book as many individual brunches as we want once on board the ship.

And Third - The CM told me the private dining room should be available for a group brunch on board the Wonder. She wasn't sure why it was not available on the Fantasy, unless it was already being used.

I hope this helps. If we have any other questions, please let me know. I'll call again, and hopefully I can get the same nice CM who helped me this time!!!!
That is interesting! So diametrically opposed to what we were told....I will carry this back to my December group! We really wanted to do one as well! I even went so far to see if I could book a 6 top but I can't book it until ALL participants had reached their booking dates...

but it was definitely stated they no longer booked the Palo private dining room for Brunch.

Thanks for checking, David!!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #823
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Thank you for checking into that, David. All of that info is a complete 180 from what it was the last time we did it. Please forgive me because I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I was a travel agent for 8 years and have come to learn that when info is 180 degrees different that it doesn't hurt to try and get a different reservations agent and compare info. With that said, this is what I've found:

They still require that all special request dining be submitted through fax attention to a cruise activities specialist in the Embarkation and Travel Service Department. The fax number is (407) 566-6910. With the fax you must include the following:

Reason for request
Where you would like to dine (in this case, Palo Private dining room)
Sail date
Names and reservation numbers of everyone participating
3 Preferred dates
Main contact name, phone number, and email or fax number

Requests are reviewed no more than 30 days prior to sailing and will be accepted no later than 5 days prior to sailing. Subject to availability, they DO NOT go in order of receiving, it is a case-by-case basis, priority determined by Disney.
There is a 12 person min / 14 person max

With all of that said - she advised that they no longer allow private groups for brunch - Palo allows dinner only! This means we can still do it for dinner, we just can't do it for brunch

Also, everyone will need to make your 1 Palo brunch online prior to sailing (just to make sure you have 1 booked). At the time they review and approve the request, Disney will determine if they will make us cancel our private reservation or if they will allow us to have both reservations prior to sailing. Again, this is a case-by-case basis, so there is no way to know for sure!

I hope this helps! Again, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, my background just allows me to know when something sounds fishy, and that sounded fishy. Let me know if there are any questions.

I also discussed with her a little bit about the changes and confusion with Disney policy. According to her, they have eliminated their Groups department (along with other policies), and this has caused the confusion. It used to be that these requests were first arranged through the groups department, but since they don't exist anymore, not all reservations agents are yet "up" on the details. As to why they no longer allow group brunches and they only allow dinner - she had no idea. It's anybody's guess. I would guess they're either leaving it open for other events, VIP guests, etc. Or, they just don't want to, who knows!

Anyway - that's all I found out. I hope it helps

Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #824
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbl View Post
Hi Kidlette -
I'm confused! Which 'one' lunch reservation are you referring? We've always made as many brunch, dinner specialty restaurant reservations as we have wanted without difficulty. Maybe we slipped through the cracks? Thanks!
Maria
You can pre-book 1 brunch and 1 dinner prior to sailing. You can ask for more once onboard the ship, but you can only pre-book 1 of each. Hope that helps!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #825
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Do you think once we get on the boat we can decide if we want to do Palo dinner? Their dinners don't seem that great to me and I'm a huge brunch person.... But 14 days on the boat, I may decide I need Palo!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: