Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #691
newbydisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeans1010 View Post
I am organizing a book exchange. Just in case you get on the boat and realize "crap... I don't want to read any of these books."
I can bring some books....and @kdeans...a fellow cruiser pointed out to me that I can bring my Nook to the pool etc and merely put it in a ziplock bag to protect it. I had not thought of that and was still lugging paperbacks. Also if you need some tactile reading the Cove Cafe and Outlook Cafe have books and magazines. Makes a nice break.
newbydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #692
newbydisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopewest View Post
We're thinking of taking this cruise and then spending the weekend after at WDW. Last time I was there was 1978, yeow.

You're probably looking at my post count and saying "and where has she been," and the answer is over on the Cruise Critic message boards because we've been cruising every year since 1995, although we haven't taken a Disney cruise yet. In fact I went to see if there was a roll call for this cruise at CC, and someone posted the link to the DIS boards.

The next question is why haven't we cruised Disney, and don't laugh, one reason is there is no library on board the ships. I can't travel without being able to read, and dragging half a dozen books has become an extreme hassle. Then the book gods invented Kindle, I finally bought one, and so the lack of a library excuse is gone! I saw this itinerary, and thought hey, I can go to WDW without flying. (Okay, I have to fly home but whatever.)

Anyway, I'll let you know if we finally book this cruise, but it looks good right now.
Welcome! I for one will be interested to hear how you think this cruise stacks up against others you have taken.
Do you live in San Diego?..We lived in Bonita a long time ago and now live in Seattle and have a condo at Cape Canaveral minutes from the Port.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #693
newbydisney
DIS Veteran

San Diego/Cape Canveral

As people's plans get firmed up it would be nice to share ideas about places and transportation in San Diego and Cape Canaveral.

We used to love Sea World in San Diego. We probably will fly in last second and get on the ship as it is lots of days off work for DH and he will want to stay at our place in Cape Canaveral for a few days after as well.

Y'all are invited to a post cruise wind down at the condo after the cruise if you don't have to fly right out or need to kill some time.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #694
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbydisney View Post
I can bring some books....and @kdeans...a fellow cruiser pointed out to me that I can bring my Nook to the pool etc and merely put it in a ziplock bag to protect it. I had not thought of that and was still lugging paperbacks. Also if you need some tactile reading the Cove Cafe and Outlook Cafe have books and magazines. Makes a nice break.
I am going to get flack for this, but being the book nerd I am I can't do ereaders. I've tried. My mom has one and I just can't get into it.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #695
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Crow sorry for the multiple posts.... I will so blame being NOC shift, weird schedule, sleepy meds, and then drinking some of my mom's "super juice" before I went to bed (kale, spinach, strawberries, and whatever else she finds.... It makes me weird hyper)... Not reading all the posts before I reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbydisney View Post
Welcome! I for one will be interested to hear how you think this cruise stacks up against others you have taken.
Do you live in San Diego?..We lived in Bonita a long time ago and now live in Seattle and have a condo at Cape Canaveral minutes from the Port.
Where do you live in Seattle? My group is in Skagit. I think there's a couple northerners coming down for this cruise.

Our plans before cruise as of right now (and this was one of the big perks about us going on this trip) is:
Flying into Ontario a few days early. Staying at the Loft hotel in Cucamonga/Ontario, renting a car. I want to see my brother/sister in law in hip part of L.A. (and for those who know me, know I am the anti-hip), seeing my grandparents out near Palm Springs, and then I want to get a tattoo (I think Melvin will be in San Diego by then...). I want to see my best friend, who lives in Cucamonga, and show my friends from Washington where I grew up (because they give me such crud about being from "Cucamonga" and I want to show them the cool details about it). Plus I want to go to Miguel Jr.s, Tommy's, and In and Out.... What can I say? I'm not homesick for the area, I am homesick for the food. The plan is to hit up Target in Corona off the 15 for wine and booze (oh and sunscreen). I have no idea what the plan is for our trip back.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #696
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelljay View Post
We're probably going to stay at the Hampton Inn in San Diego - downtown - right near the port...some rooms you can see the ships in their ads anyway! We've always had good experiences at Hampton Inn...part of Hilton Honors Program. We are thinking of getting there on the 10th and going to the Zoo on the 11th. Will probably do a couple of days at WDW after the cruise before flying back home.
Thanks so much for the info. I'm sorry I haven't been on here much lately, things have been crazy at home and work. Thanks also for the warm welcome. My mother (Beth) and I have second seating for dinner and would love to participate in the FE and we will also be doing a Palo brunch. Mom has been on several different cruises (not Disney) and I want to show her how much more amazing DCL is compared to the other lines.

I definetly want in on the Facebook page and will be PMing my email addy.

I've scanned thru ALL of the previous pages and I noticed that someone is interested in working out in the morning and I am in for a daily elliptical run. I had lapband surgery in 2011 and plan on having my surgeon remove some of the fluid so I can enjoy the food but it will come at the price of having to exercise so just let me know if you want a buddy. I will certainly need the motivation.

This cruise should be the medical EBPC cruise because I am also an RN. I've worked med/surg and tcu for 18 years and have been an Assistant Manager on a 70 bed med/surg low level telemetry oncology floor for the past 2 yrs.

Feel free to sign us up for the dinner table buddy thing too.

I hope to be spending more time around here in the next 1 yr 2 months 2 weeks and however many days it is until we meet in person.

Happy to pre-meet you all.

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #697
scopewest
Earning My Ears

I see I need to add a little info. I live in Scottsdale, AZ, so San Diego is an hour's flight away. We've sailed several times from there, it's so easy to get from the airport to the pier you could walk it (although not recommended while dragging luggage).

As for the Kindle, I quite understand why someone may not be into it. It took me a long time to think about buying one, I thought I would hate reading off a screen. I still prefer a book, but my Kindle now has around 1800 books on it (almost all of them free downloads), so now I've got my own library, my childhood fantasy come true!

But what I really like is my Kindle app on my cell phone because if I want to read a book, it's right there as well, and the covers, photos in the book are in color (versus the b&w Kindle).
scopewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #698
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Joining you!

Hi, everyone!

We just booked this cruise about an hour ago! "We" is myself, Stephanie, and DH Dave. We are younger empty nesters with two grown sons and 4 grandkids. We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary this coming December by, what else? Cruising on DCL!!

This will be our 13th DCL cruise, our second on the Wonder, with our first Wonder cruise being our very first ever cruise! We fell in love and, well, here we are, planning #13! It will also be our 2nd Panama Canal cruise, our first being on the Magic in 2008, the inaugural cruise into Cartagena and Aruba! We are looking forward to returning to Cartagena!

We are avid photographers and look forward to getting some great shots again. I especially want to do some great shooting in Cartagena.

I'm amazed at the number of pages already for this cruise! That's awesome, a great active group!!! OK, I'm heading in to start reading...if I don't reappear in a couple of days...send in a search party!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #699
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
Hi, everyone!

We just booked this cruise about an hour ago! "We" is myself, Stephanie, and DH Dave. We are younger empty nesters with two grown sons and 4 grandkids. We will be celebrating our 35th anniversary this coming December by, what else? Cruising on DCL!!

This will be our 13th DCL cruise, our second on the Wonder, with our first Wonder cruise being our very first ever cruise! We fell in love and, well, here we are, planning #13! It will also be our 2nd Panama Canal cruise, our first being on the Magic in 2008, the inaugural cruise into Cartagena and Aruba! We are looking forward to returning to Cartagena!

We are avid photographers and look forward to getting some great shots again. I especially want to do some great shooting in Cartagena.

I'm amazed at the number of pages already for this cruise! That's awesome, a great active group!!! OK, I'm heading in to start reading...if I don't reappear in a couple of days...send in a search party!
Va-NanaTink and DH (Stephanie & Dave) to the cruise. So glad ya'll are joining us on the cruise!!! Your second Panama Canal Cruise, how good is that!!! This is one cruise my DW and I have wanted to do for sometime now. We are really looking forward to it. I am semi-retired, working just 3 days a week, but DW still loves her job and is still working full time. (Even I couldn't say that with a straight face!!!) She plans on retiring in another couple of years. I am going to continue working part-time as long as I can. Got to pay for these Disney cruises some how!!! Check out the very first post for links to the FE, carpooling, Palo Brunch and some others you might be interested in. Again, glad you are joining us, and Welcome Aboard!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #700
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
Va-NanaTink and DH (Stephanie & Dave) to the cruise. So glad ya'll are joining us on the cruise!!! Your second Panama Canal Cruise, how good is that!!! This is one cruise my DW and I have wanted to do for sometime now. We are really looking forward to it. I am semi-retired, working just 3 days a week, but DW still loves her job and is still working full time. (Even I couldn't say that with a straight face!!!) She plans on retiring in another couple of years. I am going to continue working part-time as long as I can. Got to pay for these Disney cruises some how!!! Check out the very first post for links to the FE, carpooling, Palo Brunch and some others you might be interested in. Again, glad you are joining us, and Welcome Aboard!!!
DH and I are both still employed full-time because we love it soooooo much!!! 6 years 9 months....6 years 9 months...then my plan is to work part time at Disney when we relocate to Florida....for Disney cruising!

Thanks for the welcome! We are so happy to be here! DH is happily planning where we are staying in SD, he was stationed there when he was in the Navy, and is looking forward to going back. (It was before my time!)
I will check out page one, and begin to try to catch up in my reading! Wow! such an active group!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #701
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
Ok, ok, ok, ok, as ya'll might have guessed, I am the planner of our vacations for DW and I. (I have more time on my hands................so it makes sense. Plus and enjoy doing the planning.) So....................all or most of ya'll know DW and I are going to fly out to sunny California a few days before the cruise to visit Disneyland. And, our first visit to Disneyland. My question is, what are your suggestions for restaurants at Disneyland we should not miss? Both hotel and park restaurants? Thanks all for your help. As you can also tell, I like to get things all lined up early in the stage of our vacation. (This is a flaw in my personality I am working on!!!)
Trying to catch up and you probably got a bazillion tips, but I HAVE to put a plug in for my favorite Blue Bayou! Try to get a table alongside the water...

Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #702
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnydaddy View Post
My favorite story is the gang-banger that wanted to get a better look while doing a drive by shooting. He stuck his head out the front window while his buddy in the back seat was doing the shooting. Needless to say Darwin won that one.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #703
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH and I are both still employed full-time because we love it soooooo much!!! 6 years 9 months....6 years 9 months...then my plan is to work part time at Disney when we relocate to Florida....for Disney cruising!

Thanks for the welcome! We are so happy to be here! DH is happily planning where we are staying in SD, he was stationed there when he was in the Navy, and is looking forward to going back. (It was before my time!)
I will check out page one, and begin to try to catch up in my reading! Wow! such an active group!
6 years and 9 months huh? Well that will go by in the wink of an eye!!!
We relocated to Florida over 20 years ago. Both our jobs up north were being downsized, so we took the plunge, and it was the best thing we ever did!!!

Sounds like it will like going home for your DH going back to SD.

We have a Facebook page as well. It is by invitation only. We want to keep it just for our group here on the EBPC cruise. Just send Cayla, (Padalyn), a PM along with your email address associated with Facebook, and she will invite you to join the group. Again, glad you are joining us!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #704
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnydaddy View Post
Another comes from early in my career. The teenage girl who swore to her dad that she was not pregnant. Who, once the baby began to crown and we hurriedly whisked her off to L&D she was heard yelling down the hall to her perplexed father. "It's not mine, Dad! It's not mine!"

OMG....Now I can't breathe over here!!!

I was a Navy Corpsman. Drunk marines can be a lot of fun....

Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #705
mmbl
DIS Veteran

You made me feel happy : )

Quote:
Hi, everyone!

Hi and Welcome!
Just wanted to tell you that you made me feel especially happy saying that you are young empty nesters celebrating your 35th anniversary- our youngest left for college in 2005 and I simply cannot believe we have been empty-nesting that long! We will have just celebrated our 33rd before the cruise and we weren't that old when we got married so I am officially joining employing 'young empty nester' status! Actually, it will be my 60th birthday right after the cruise but since hubby is a few years younger, I am hoping we can still call ourselves 'young.' I am not happy to be having a birthday of (yuk, yuk, yuk) that number but since I am not quite ready to kick the so-called bucket, I will do my best to smile and accept it as gracefully as I can. If I drink more on this cruise than on others, that will be the sole reason. Anyway, welcome again!
Check out the first page of this thread and you will find sign up sheets for travel from DL area to Port, Fish Extender, Table groupings, Brunch at Palo and maybe more!
Maria (and Brian) from Texas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: