Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
Allabouthemouse
Mouseketeer

You can buy as many as you want at one time. Just beware to check your receipt and make sure each gift card has been activated if you do buy a bunch at once. I had two cards that were not activated and unfortunately, had thrown away the receipt before I used the cards . That kind of wiped out the savings....

Last edited by Allabouthemouse; 02-15-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Allabouthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
DisneyCrazMom
Mouseketeer

If you have a credit card you can purchase has much as your limit will allow. If you have the debit card and it has been less then 6 months since getting it you will be luck to purchase $500 (10) at a time, you might get away with doing it twice but they prefer you to build a history with them before allowing you to make large purchases with the debit card. Over 6 months of purchase history and you may be good to go. I purchased 86 $50 cards to pay off my cruise.

I should add, I saved $215 on my cruise not including that I booked it will on board so almost a 15% savings. I will be getting more for my on board account.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last edited by DisneyCrazMom; 02-16-2013 at 12:24 PM.
DisneyCrazMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

Not to knock the savings that this gives, I think it is great, but I think you come out ahead more if you use a Disney Chase Card. I could be wrong on this, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, the lady I talked to when I booked my cruise said I would get 100$ on board credit for paying with my Disney Card. So saying it is a 3200$ cruise, I would save 160$ by buying the target cards.

So I would only really save 60$, assuming I booked myself and didn't have any other special offer. And by using my Disney Card I would also earn ~64 points (I have the premier card, the "normal" card would only get ~32 points). So I would come out ahead a whopping 4$ ?

Like I said not frowning on the target card discount, just putting the other alternative out there.

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikezh638 View Post
Not to knock the savings that this gives, I think it is great, but I think you come out ahead more if you use a Disney Chase Card. I could be wrong on this, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, the lady I talked to when I booked my cruise said I would get 100$ on board credit for paying with my Disney Card. So saying it is a 3200$ cruise, I would save 160$ by buying the target cards.

So I would only really save 60$, assuming I booked myself and didn't have any other special offer. And by using my Disney Card I would also earn ~64 points (I have the premier card, the "normal" card would only get ~32 points). So I would come out ahead a whopping 4$ ?

Like I said not frowning on the target card discount, just putting the other alternative out there.
You only get $50 OBC when you pay your entire cruise with the Chase Disney card.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
Pikezh638
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
You only get $50 OBC when you pay your entire cruise with the Chase Disney card.
They told me 100$, but either way

If it is only 50$ it is obviously way better to do the target idea. I just looked at their site and saw it was 50$, but still :P

2010 (July) Pop Century (December) Pop Century
2011 (October) All Star Sports (December) Carribbean Beach
2012 (January) All Star Sports (May) Pop Century
2013 (January) Saratoga Springs Treehouse (October) Saratoga Springs (October) Port Orleans-Riverside
2014 (January) Fantasy Cruise (January) Art of Animation (January) Pop Century
2015 (May) Magic Cruise
Pikezh638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
They told me 100$, but either way

If it is only 50$ it is obviously way better to do the target idea. I just looked at their site and saw it was 50$, but still :P
From the rewards website:

Receive a $50 onboard credit when you pay for your Disney Cruise Line® vacation in full with your Disney's Visa Card and mention this offer. Call 1-800-257-2024 or your travel agent to book a Disney Cruise Line® vacation and ask for booking code DCC.

http://disneyrewards.com/perks/card-perks
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It is a big hassle so you have to decide if 5% is worth it and there might be other options that work better for you. At Christmas they had a $10 bonus coupon for every $50 spent, so saving 25% was worth the hassle to me. I bought $600 worth of cards for about $450 and used them only for things like excursions and tips. If I happen to be at Target I'll buy a few cards for my next trip (already paid in full because I got a FL rate). I happened to get a $10/off coupon from Target so I'll use it for a card and again feel like I've made money (although I could use that $10 on any of the other stuff I usually buy there too - same $10 to me).

A little here, a little there...

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #23
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

I opened a Target debit account today and immediately bought $1000 in gift cards for $950. I will buy $500 more tomorrow for a total savings of $75. I only have $1500 left on the cruise bill. I booked this cruise while onboard last month. It's a Galveston sailing in May, so I got 20% off, a $100 OBC from DCL and another $100 from my TA so I did pretty good in savings on this cruise. I bought Disney gc's last December with the $10 off $50 purchase for my onboard expenses on the Jan cruise. I got $300 worth of gc's for $250. I'm starting to love Target. I must thank everyone that shares their knowledge and experience on the Dis.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #24
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

I have a 5% off coupon for Target that I got using their pharmacy, but it says that it's not valid on gift cards. Does that just mean Target gift cards? Or are y'all using a different type of coupon?
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #25
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeandreaming
I have a 5% off coupon for Target that I got using their pharmacy, but it says that it's not valid on gift cards. Does that just mean Target gift cards? Or are y'all using a different type of coupon?
Disney cards ring up as entertainment cards, not gift cards so your discount will work.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #26
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

OP here - thanks for all of the responses and clarifications! I have a Disney Premier Visa, so did the math on paying the cruise off with my Visa (for the 2% rewards + $50 onboard credit) or doing the Target Red Card offer and Target still comes out ahead, so I will eventually go the Target route. My balance isn't due until next Feb. (we booked a 2014 Med cruise), so I have time to accumulate the cards, plus I hope to take advantage of the extra 5% off pharmacy savings as well. I figure, with the Target discount, plus accruing my Disney Visa Rewards with other purchases I should be able to save quite a bit on the cruise! I'm so excited! Thank you all so much!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #27
dceks cruisers
Mouseketeer

I just used about 24 cards (mostly $25 cards) for my onboard expenses on the Fantasy and it took over an hour to get them swiped. There were lots of satellite issues and the staff were getting hit with lots of people trying to get their cards entered. One person went to guest services 3 times before hitting a time when the satellite was available. Best to bring the cards down early instead of a long ordeal on last day(s). If the trend continues with lots of cards I'm guessing they will want a swipe machine for each to enter their own.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #28
bfretchel
Disney grammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceks cruisers
I just used about 24 cards (mostly $25 cards) for my onboard expenses on the Fantasy and it took over an hour to get them swiped. There were lots of satellite issues and the staff were getting hit with lots of people trying to get their cards entered. One person went to guest services 3 times before hitting a time when the satellite was available. Best to bring the cards down early instead of a long ordeal on last day(s). If the trend continues with lots of cards I'm guessing they will want a swipe machine for each to enter their own.
Thanks for the info. I am going to start getting Target cards today. It will make paying those onboard expenses a little less painful.
bfretchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #29
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDave View Post
Disney cards ring up as entertainment cards, not gift cards so your discount will work.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Aside from using Target gift cards to pay for your cruise, is it a good idea to bring some gift cards to pay for tips and misc. stuff? What kinds of things should we expect to pay for on board? I'm assuming drinks/souvenirs - anything I'm not thinking of?
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: