Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

So if DCL was to have a problem like the Carnival Triumph...

...what provisions are in place? Do they have have back up electrical and drive power? Do they have contracts with 3rd party companies in place for the displacement of the passengers?

I would be curious to see how DCL would handle the same scenario.

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

I would like to know as well.

Of course form what I have been reading, the chances of this happening on Disney are far less because of how they handle maintenance compared to Carnival.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Disneybridein2k3
I am and I'm not afraid to admit it
That is AWESOME news
Disneyland Trip Winner

Plus I imagine once one company screws up (Carnival AGAIN), each cruise company can learn and plan from the mistake.

If you ever had any doubts about using Dreams Unlimited for your next Disney vacation, read this thread!
Disneybridein2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Some good questions Mike. I would hope that there is some smart management in place that has already sat down and looked at this exact question. It is certainly hard to foresee all eventualities but you would think that there would be some fairly detailed plans to handle a ship becoming stranded at sea.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Just thought more about this and perhaps Dreams (as a big DCL TA) has enough clout to actually get to somebody at DCL to ask them exactly this kind of question. It might make for a very interesting segment on the PodCast.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

My mom said she's packin a few extra granola bars and a flashlight next time she cruises...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
My mom said she's packin a few extra granola bars and a flashlight next time she cruises...
Maybe DU should add a flashlight to their gift basket!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover
Just thought more about this and perhaps Dreams (as a big DCL TA) has enough clout to actually get to somebody at DCL to ask them exactly this kind of question. It might make for a very interesting segment on the PodCast.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was something being planned already.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Quote:
^ Great advice !

Those, plus a small ( 8-inches tall, or so...) LED lantern with extra batteries can become your best friend in such an emergency.

Also, a solar-powered charging station for all your devices is a lifesaver. They're a little pricey, but worth every penny. (Brookstone carries them along with several other companies, I'm sure.)

I'd like to think that the response from DCL would be handled more efficiently, (right or wrong, it's my impression that their maintenance is superior)

But then again, I'm reminded of that horrible storm they had no business sailing through a few months ago. (I'm sure someone here knows the date)

Bottom line: You take a cruise and you take your chances.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
(I'm sure someone here knows the date)

Bottom line: You take a cruise and you take your chances.
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-865019

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

You know.. if you bring along a Mini Mag lite... you can screw off the top and use it as a base and then it becomes a candle... (a very romantic flashlight for camping...) and you only have to bring AA batteries (there's an extra light bulb also under the bottom battery cap...)

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
toonaspie
Just a poser

Given that DCL caters alot to small children, I could imagine things being even more difficult, especially with the sanitation issue. I could survive without lights or even electricity but not without toilets. I would recommend that Disney invest in some sanitation buckets or portable toilets (one for each room) that could be used in a bathroom emergency. And a surplus of complimentary diapers.

Also have a surplus of non perishable food that isn't just junk and have a distribution/rationing plan.
toonaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
^ And a video to boot !

(((Thanks))) k5jmh !

-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #14
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Quote:
You know.. if you bring along a Mini Mag lite... you can screw off the top and use it as a base and then it becomes a candle... (a very romantic flashlight for camping...) and you only have to bring AA batteries (there's an extra light bulb also under the bottom battery cap...)

^ Thanks for the tip, Tink !

I've never seen Mag lites like that before. I think I'd prefer a lantern in an emergency, but come to think of it, a dozen or so of those scattered around the cabin might make for a very interesting evening all it's own !

(...Said Joshua in a very G-rated, Dis-approved way.... )

-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
MommaluvsDis
DIS Veteran

I wonder if the mechanical setup on the Disney ships is the same type or different to guard against the possibility of this happening.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: