Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #31
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

I always say "everything happens for a reason" so I would deal with it. It not like they set the fire and it was not sinking. Heck their getting their money back, a free cruise, $500. I'm sure most of them had insurance so they will get even more back. I would not have stayed in my room I would have been up on the top deck.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

As bad as the situation would be, I think I would be okay. DH & I are avid campers, so we've had our fair share of dirt and bugginess. I wouldn't like being stuck on a ship for 5 days without toilets or decent meals, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Plenty of people live worse than that in refugee camps around the world. I figure as long as nobody is shooting at me, I'm going to be okay.

The thing that would be the hardest for me would be lack of sleep. I use CPAP at night and without it I simply do not sleep. When I don't sleep, it messes with my bipolar and I start to get manic. Five days of that would really wind me up. Not that I would be dangerous to myself or anyone else, but I probably wouldn't be very good company.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
I'm a natural-born problem solver and generally a pretty optimistic person. And, being in medicine, I can take pretty gross stuff.

So, I think I would do pretty well, but I would not be happy about it.
I think this would be a negative for us. DH and I would want to fix it and there wasn't anything we would be able to fix in this situation. They wouldn't let DH in the engine room and they wouldn't let me in the kitchen. It seems like it would be a lot of time sitting around doing nothing. Put me to work making the situation right and I would be fine. Let me sit and wallow and the situation would be so much worse. I hate when there is a problem and I can't do anything to fix it.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
I always say "everything happens for a reason" so I would deal with it. It not like they set the fire and it was not sinking. Heck their getting their money back, a free cruise, $500. I'm sure most of them had insurance so they will get even more back. I would not have stayed in my room I would have been up on the top deck.
Actually, there is a very good chance that most insurance carriers won't cover any claims from this. The cruise wasn't cancelled or delayed, and since the passengers still sailed and stayed on the ship, it wasn't interrupted.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
linda0706
I lick the spoon & bowl when I make brownies or bake a cake
I do believe I'd have made up something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Actually, there is a very good chance that most insurance carriers won't cover any claims from this. The cruise wasn't cancelled or delayed, and since the passengers still sailed and stayed on the ship, it wasn't interrupted.
Plus the passengers were all made financially whole...

Feb 2008 - POP
Feb 2006 - POP

Nov 2004 - CSR
Tons of day trips in 70's-90's when brothers & friends were cast members
Sept 30, 1971 (night before grand opening) when my dad's construction company got to go to soft opening. I was 6yo.
linda0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #36
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

I'd like to think I'd be calm about it all. I grew up with boats, so I wouldn't be worried about our safety situation, and I'm not a germaphobe. I'd probably try to start a euchre tournament or something to pass the time.

As bad as it would have been, at leats it would be an adventure...and it's gotta be better than being back at work.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I think I would do pretty well. I would be freaking out inside about being powerless in the middle of a vast body of water, but as far as everything else goes - eh - it's not permanent. Just power through the 5 or so icky days and then life resumes as normal.

Getting hysterical or mad won't make the end come any quicker.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I think I would probably be ok once we started heading back home.

I don't think I would have stressed too much because in the back of my head I know it's only temprorary. Sandy, katrina or other natural disasters would be more stressful because those tend to be life alterning events.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #39
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

Well for me I think it would totally depend on if my DD10 was with me or not. If it was just DH and I, we would be fine. DH has done two tours in Afghanistan and 3 in Kosovo, so he is used to crappy conditions and with his positive attitude I would be able to make the best of it.

Now if DD10 was with us, I would probably lose it. She has GAD and would probably be having attacks left and right, so that would make it much harder for me. I like to think I would be able to keep her calm, but sometimes that doesn't always work.
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #40
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspiglet View Post
Well for me I think it would totally depend on if my DD10 was with me or not. If it was just DH and I, we would be fine. DH has done two tours in Afghanistan and 3 in Kosovo, so he is used to crappy conditions and with his positive attitude I would be able to make the best of it.

Now if DD10 was it, I would probably lose it. She has GAD and would probably be having attacks left and right, so that would make it much harder for me. I like to think I would be able to keep her calm, but sometimes that doesn't always work.
You know, I always think about things like this. It would be so much harder to take care of your children in this situation. I have a son who is severely mentally handicapped. When stuff like this happens, I wonder "what would we do if Christian was with us?" It would be a disaster, I can tell you!

I can't help thinking about all the little old ladies with their canes, the young adults in their power chairs, and the people who have chronic health problems that would be negatively affected by such a terrible situation. So glad they made it "home" last night.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #41
3 MEN AND A BOAT
DIS Veteran

I'd be fine.
Using the bathroom in bags is nothing new to most fisherman. Department of Conservation dictates that you have a bathroom on your vessel, most smaller boats use a bucket. Although its usually just a couple of friends not 4,000+ strangers.
A hypothetical question; but how long would some of you stay calm before you would begin to BREAKDOWN, and question whether you needed to find your own way home.
3 MEN AND A BOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #42
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

I'd like to think I'd stay pretty calm. But I'm sure I'd have my own personal little breakdown "moments" too - times where I'd just go off by myself somewhere & cry! LOL! Like another poster mentioned, I also have a tendency to feed off other people's emotions, so I'd need to stay away from the overly dramatic people.

I'm a germaphobe, but I think I'd deal w/ it all better if it were just DH & I. If our kids were w/ us, I'd be a nervous wreck worrying about the germs, & I'm pretty sure I'd be having some panic attacks. I just know I'd be able to handle everything much better if I didn't also have to worry about our kids. When the cruise ship sunk off the coast of Italy, DH & I talked about how much easier we would handle that w/o also having to worry about our kids' survival. Honestly, while this hasn't made me rethink going on a cruise, it has made me rethink bringing our kids w/ us. I know I would be a complete mess worried about them - especially our younger son.

And I'd be a lot better if DH were w/ me instead of just being w/ some friends. When I tend to worry or get overly anxious about things, he's good at talking me off the ledge, so I'd definitely need him w/ me to keep me centered.

The smells would be pretty bad for me too, so I'd also deal w/ everything better if we had our own balcony - which would be my "escape". Fresh air would be a must for me, so, if we didn't have our own balcony, we'd be in the tent cities on deck.

I'd have a hard time eating anything because I'd be worried about germs & how the food was staying clean.

And I'm sure there would be times where I'd be giggly too! I'd rather be around the people who were optimistic & funny & were turning the whole thing into a big adventure.

We've had a couple of weather situations where we were out w/o power and/or water for a few days, but I haven't been in a situation where I've been stranded w/ a bunch of people. This is NOTHING like being stuck on an listing, drifting cruise ship for 5 days, but our two older kids & I were once stuck on Splash Mountain at the top in the hot sun for over two hours. When it shut down, they were able to evacuate the whole ride except for our log & 2 logs behind us due to where we were on the ride. The people in the log behind us were starting to panic & were yelling at the castmembers who constantly kept coming to check on us & hand out water bottles. In our log were two boys, my older 2 kids, me, & an older couple, & we all stayed calm. The two boys were younger than my kids & were w/o their parents (their parents did not ride & were supposed to be waiting for them at the end of the ride), & even they were fine. I was worried about getting a migraine from being in the sun & worried about one of the kids having to use the bathroom, but I wasn't panicking or anything. Our whole log stayed polite & cooperative w/ the castmembers while the people in the log behind us were getting very disgruntled. I don't know... is that indicative of how I would act in the cruise ship situation? I'd like to think so, but, again, stuck on Splash for 2 hours is nothing like being stuck on an inoperable cruise ship for 5 days.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #43
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
An acute sense of smell and a strong gag reflex would keep me out of the laid back camp, but I don't get hysterical.

I'm guessing that whether you had an interior or balcony cabin would have an effect on your reaction.
I am a member of the Frequent Barfer's Club and smells set me off. I'd be barfing my guts out, gritching up a storm, but I would not get hysterical. But if I saw the president of Carnival Cruise Lines, I'd snap his neck like a twig.

A refund? Duh. Of course. The offer of a second cruise? No thank. $500 as compensation? Are you kidding me? You couldn't pay me $500 to have endured that crap.......literally.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #44
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEmomma View Post
I don't know... never been on a cruise. But DH & I are both pessimists, though we're pretty tough under pressure & stress. Miraculously, we tend to band together and work as a team when under a lot of stress instead of bickering with each other.

However, knowing DH, we'd be in an inside room because he's el cheapo & I'm fairly claustrophobic. And warm blooded. So the heat, the lack of power & the enclosed place would wear on my nerves in a BIG way (and I've already got anxiety issues). So I think the only way I'd be able to sanely ride it out is if we pitched a tent up on deck.

Though I can guarantee you that DH & I would make it sound much worse and dramatic than it ACTUALLY was. A shameful personality trait that we both possess, lol.
well, at least you admit it! You sound a lot like my BFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I'd certainly make the best of the free cruise in the future!

However, I tend to get punchy/silly when extremely stressed. So Dh and I would probably be joking and laughing hysterically the whole time.
This is me and DH. We just get a little crazy....giggly, (more) sarcastic, etc. I am sure people would be annoyed by us but...whatever
Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 MEN AND A BOAT View Post
I'd be fine.
Using the bathroom in bags is nothing new to most fisherman. Department of Conservation dictates that you have a bathroom on your vessel, most smaller boats use a bucket. Although its usually just a couple of friends not 4,000+ strangers.
A hypothetical question; but how long would some of you stay calm before you would begin to BREAKDOWN, and question whether you needed to find your own way home.
I read that as, "using the bathroom in bags is nothing new to most FRESHMAN." I wondered where the heck you went to college!

I don't think one can predict where/when they would breakdown. There are so many different factors. As many mentioned, taking care of themselves isn't an issue, but add in kids, especially kids with issues, and you have a whole different ballgame. The disgusting factor would weigh on me but I think I could keep it together. If I felt we were in danger of sinking, I would completely panic and jump!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: