Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
disykat
DIS Veteran

I've been thinking that paying for a higher deck and a balcony might be a good plan. I've always thought saving the money was good, but in this situation it really would have been worth it.

I don't think I would have been hysterical, but having to walk through sewage?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

I don't know... never been on a cruise. But DH & I are both pessimists, though we're pretty tough under pressure & stress. Miraculously, we tend to band together and work as a team when under a lot of stress instead of bickering with each other.

However, knowing DH, we'd be in an inside room because he's el cheapo & I'm fairly claustrophobic. And warm blooded. So the heat, the lack of power & the enclosed place would wear on my nerves in a BIG way (and I've already got anxiety issues). So I think the only way I'd be able to sanely ride it out is if we pitched a tent up on deck.

Though I can guarantee you that DH & I would make it sound much worse and dramatic than it ACTUALLY was. A shameful personality trait that we both possess, lol.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: 2/15 POR

NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

I'd like to think I would be pretty laid back. I usually just go with the flow and take things as they come and adjust, everything's an adventure.

I do have a keen sense of smell, so I'd probably have to stay outside.

I certainly wouldn't be praying and writing my last words on earth on a sign on my balcony, that's a bit too dramatic for me. Camping out at the lifeboat stations seems like inventing your own danger.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
I'm guessing that whether you had an interior or balcony cabin would have an effect on your reaction.
I agree that would have made a *big* difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris82 View Post
I'm not sure, I know in the past when something big has happened I've coped much better than I thought I would, I think we're all capable of thinsg we wouldn't think we were, but then afterwarsd I fell apart a bit. I bet a ot of people are like that, it's human nature.
I agree. I have surprised myself when the chips were really down.

I think I would have been okay (not happy, but not hysterics) *if* I'd been able to have fresh air and a little personal space. A balcony cabin would have made a big difference to me. If I'd had to fight crowds and "protect my spot" on the deck, it would have been *very* stressful for me and I doubt that I would have done as well. But I like to think that as long as I knew my family was not in immediate danger, I would be more impatient than hysterical.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I'd certainly make the best of the free cruise in the future!

However, I tend to get punchy/silly when extremely stressed. So Dh and I would probably be joking and laughing hysterically the whole time.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Lionqueen2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
I think I'd be ok on a ship even with no food. Now, if I were trapped on an airplane for hours I'd have issues.
Agree! I'm usually calm in a crisis and think I'd be fine on a ship, but would not be as patient trapped in an airplane.
Lionqueen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
mnrose
DIS Veteran

I am an optimist by nature, and seldom get "down" about things. Mostly because have learned that being down or depressed about something only makes it worse. I know I could power through and do so with a +++ attitude. I survived 53 days in a hospital bed, unable to use anything but a bedpan, and I didn't lose my optimism. The nurses who cared for me were impressed by my attitude.

While conditions were no doubt bad, I'm certain I would survive and be cheerful about it too. I'd be the one trying to cheer up other people.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #23
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

My anxiety level is slightly high on a ship anyway. (And really high on a plane!)

One that was dead in the water without even the stabilizer bars working so it was listing, combined with a lack of AC, being in the dark, putrid smells, potentially contaminated food, and an angry mob, would seriously bum me out.

HOWEVER, I would want to stay calm and positive for my kids, AND my DH would be having a field day with with his commentary I'm sure we'd be laughing (to a degree).

We no doubt would have been one of the families who dragged our mattresses up to the top deck, balcony or not. [Probably irrational, but] I think I'd be worried in the room that if the ship tipped, we'd be stuck in there. At least up top, maybe we'd have a chance jumping in the water. (Hypothermia and sharks notwithstanding.)

Good thread. I was wondering last night (haven't read reports today) at how it was going to be for people having to wait 5 hours to disembark after that whole fiasco. I was imagining it was rough in the lines getting off - lots of REALLY ANGRY PEOPLE!

PS we prefer an inside room on DCL! See tag!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

I would be in the "let's turn this into an adventure" camp. I've been stuck on airplanes during blizzards, stuck in cities during national disasters, lost in the middle of a city I don't know, etc. I tend to just take a breath and figure out how to turn it into something positive.

I figure, the people in charge -- whether they're cruise staff, flight attendants, whoever -- don't want to be in that situation either, and why would I want to make a bad situation worse by freaking out or by yelling at someone who can't fix it anyway? And there's something to be said for being a calm voice in an otherwise frustrating situation. During a weather situation, where a bunch of flights were being cancelled and people were screaming at airline reps to GET THEM ON THE NEXT PLANE NOW!! (even though no one was really certain when the next plane was even leaving), I just smiled and said, "Whenever you can get me out of here is cool ... just please put me by a window." The reservation agent cracked up, and then put me by a window. In first class.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
Phdmama06
DIS Veteran

There is a reason I don't go on cruises, I have a lot of anxiety about this type of situation. But in theory, if stuck like this, what choice would I really have but to make the best of it? Probably would not choose to cruise again after that though.
Phdmama06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

Never been on a cruise... but totally know that I'd definitely be the "this is an adventure we didn't plan on having" kind of person. DH and I would be the annoying ones laughing and makes jokes the entire time.

Sometimes life happens. And it's just a story for later on!

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
MissManda
DIS Veteran

I would like to think that if I found myself in that situation, that I would be able to remain calm, cool and collected.

I would have had a really hard time dealing with the restroom related issues....overflowing toilets, the smells, having to go in bags. On top of that the lack of AC and the thought of germs and bacteria that must have been growing in that ship might have been too much for the germaphobe in me to handle.

If those issues weren't so bad, I think that I could handle it a lot better.

I feel terribly for everyone that had to deal with that.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
linda0706
I lick the spoon & bowl when I make brownies or bake a cake
I do believe I'd have made up something...

I was on the 2010 Carnival Splendor fire cruise that was stranded for 4 days, so I have a very good idea of what these cruisers went through.

We just made the best of it. What else can you do?? Everybody there with you is quite literally in the same boat, so we just sucked it up & dealt. Even the cruise employees--they were stuck right there with us and were not in any position to do anything to fix the problem. In fact the employees were awesome - nothing but praise for them.

I was with a group of 7 friends. We spent lots of time hanging around on deck, playing cards, passing around paperback books, and waiting in food lines. It wasn't a "good time" by any means, but it wasn't totally miserable either. The fire was early Monday morning...our cabin toilets didn't work until Wednesday night but most of the public toilets were working by Tuesday evening.

Feb 2008 - POP
Feb 2006 - POP

Nov 2004 - CSR
Tons of day trips in 70's-90's when brothers & friends were cast members
Sept 30, 1971 (night before grand opening) when my dad's construction company got to go to soft opening. I was 6yo.
linda0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

DH & I struggled mucho in our early years, are both old scouts, built tough, and thankfully know some survival skills . Few yrs back, we had 3' snow storm, we lived w/o power, bath facilities, etc., in our home, and had to improvise for a week.

My heart goes out to the Carnival crew and passengers . How disheartening it would be to have your vacation ruined stuck in middle of ocean. However, we'd have plenty of company and hopefully could forge through. We make it a practice to get trip insurance, take a case of water on our cruise, enjoy a balcony cabin, and have plenty to snack on . Now the smell and raw sewage leaks would be another story!?!?!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I agree with having a balcony making it easier (although should you be out there with the boat listing?). If I could hang out there with a book and be in denial about what was going on around me, I'd probably be ok

With my claustrophobia getting worse over the years, I don't think I'd book an inside room anyways, but the whole human waste issue is really gross to think about. I guess if you have a balcony, well, you know.

Being stuck on a plane, hmmm, they'd be peeling me off the ceiling. I find myself sometimes fighting anxiety as it is (especially when the air isn't coming thru the little blowers), but manage since I like to travel too much, but to be just sitting there for hours not moving, nope.

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: