Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
LisaR

Could you make the best out of the Carnival Cruise from Hell?

It has been interesting seeing the interviews with the passengers. I've seen some who said it was horrible but they powered through. They seem composed and didn't make it into the end of the world type event. Others have been hysterical.

Every single person interviewed agrees that the conditions were deplorable. However, the way in which some handled those conditions versus others is night and day.

Where do you think you would fall? Do you think you would be hysterical, laid back, or somewhere in between?

For me, I'd do much better if I could either be by myself (with my family, assuming they were there) or with a positive group of people. I know I would feed off of negative energy so if I was with a group who was hysterical, I would jump on that bandwagon, as well.

The conditions on that ship tested everyone on board and some likely have come off much stronger individuals and others will need therapy and medication for life.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
It has been interesting seeing the interviews with the passengers. I've seen some who said it was horrible but they powered through. They seem composed and didn't make it into the end of the world type event. Others have been hysterical.

Every single person interviewed agrees that the conditions were deplorable. However, the way in which some handled those conditions versus others is night and day.

Where do you think you would fall? Do you think you would be hysterical, laid back, or somewhere in between?

For me, I'd do much better if I could either be by myself (with my family, assuming they were there) or with a positive group of people. I know I would feed off of negative energy so if I was with a group who was hysterical, I would jump on that bandwagon, as well.

The conditions on that ship tested everyone on board and some likely have come off much stronger individuals and others will need therapy and medication for life.
after a hurricane, i have learned to have more patience for normalcy to return. however if it were on a plane stranded on tarmac, not sure if i could handle that because you are more enclosed.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

The other passengers would vote to throw me overboard. I don't even do well at upscale B&Bs.

ETA: DH just said if I wasn't thrown over by all the other passengers, he'd jump himself to get away from me. I'm NOT a good traveler.

Last edited by ilovepcot; 02-15-2013 at 01:40 PM.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

I would stay calm, but be pretty POd under neath it all
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

People can get used to just about anything - it may take some people longer, and I guess it could break a few. But think about it .... how many people all over the world live like that every day? This ship accident was truly a first world problem. Not trying to minimize what must have been an awful experience for people who are not used to living that way, just trying to keep this in perspective. No-one on this earth is guaranteed a comfortable life free of all adversity - I think we all need to be prepared to face things that may be very difficult at some point in our life, and be thankful if that adversity never comes.

Personally, I don't know how I'd take it. I hope I wouldn't act like a spoiled brat or wilt like a hothouse flower! I know I am not a germaphobe, but I don't like dealing with other people's bodily fluids, so I know it would be tough at first.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

An acute sense of smell and a strong gag reflex would keep me out of the laid back camp, but I don't get hysterical.

I'm guessing that whether you had an interior or balcony cabin would have an effect on your reaction.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

I think I'd be ok on a ship even with no food. Now, if I were trapped on an airplane for hours I'd have issues.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Iris82
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure, I know in the past when something big has happened I've coped much better than I thought I would, I think we're all capable of thinsg we wouldn't think we were, but then afterwarsd I fell apart a bit. I bet a ot of people are like that, it's human nature.
Iris82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepcot View Post
The other passengers would vote to throw me overboard. I don't even do well at upscale B&Bs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
I think I'd be ok on a ship even with no food. Now, if I were trapped on an airplane for hours I'd have issues.
Yeah, on an airplane I think I would lose it. Small, enclosed space without plumbing would make me hysterical.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

DH and I are frequent cruisers and we've talked about this quite a bit over the last few days.

We both think that'd we'd do ok with the situation and do the best we could to stay positive. We typically book a balcony cabin on one of the upper decks, so that would definitely be a help in this kind of a situation.

Neither one of us are germaphobes and we both have a pretty easy-going and laid back personality.

We've had some vacation plans go awry (although nothing as bad as this was - although being evacuated from our camping site by boat because a dam burst above us wasn't fun!) and still managed to make the best of it.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I think I would be silently weeping in a corner.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Knowing my family and I, we'd make the best of it and have an amusing story later on. We'd be thankful we had a balcony because that's non-negotiable when we cruise, and then we'd wipe out the minibar. Oh, and I would so take the bath robes and beach towels.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
hereyago
DIS Veteran

I always get bslcony staterooms in upper decks, but i would be thankful for.that balcony.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
I would stay calm, but be pretty POd under neath it all
+1 Becoming hysterical makes it worse for everyone, including yourself.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

I'm a natural-born problem solver and generally a pretty optimistic person. And, being in medicine, I can take pretty gross stuff.

So, I think I would do pretty well, but I would not be happy about it.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: