Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
BLTisforME
Headed to Orlando.... again!

Help!!!

Planning our first trip to Disneyland as a family in April. I'm a WDW pro but am struggling with ADRs at DL. Advice and suggestions? Son will be almost 4 at the time of the trip. We are staying at VGC (hope that's right- grand Californian villas). What's a must do? Thanks!
BLTisforME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer

HAve you read this thread?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

All depends on your food tastes.

SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
CaptainEIEIO
Even if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTisforME View Post
Planning our first trip to Disneyland as a family in April. I'm a WDW pro but am struggling with ADRs at DL. Advice and suggestions? Son will be almost 4 at the time of the trip. We are staying at VGC (hope that's right- grand Californian villas). What's a must do? Thanks!
Must do:

Park Hoppers, its a must since both parks are side by side as well as Downtown Disney. Its not like WDW whre you have to take a bus to get from one park to the other.

Disneyland must do's:

Pirates of the Caribbean, its different than WDW's is. Its a longer ride here, and the start of the ride is nice and peaceful before you make that first drop.
Indiana Jones: They dont have this at WDW so it would be a new ride for you.
Disneyland Railroad: This is also different at Disneyland than it is at WDW, there is a little added something between the Tomorrowland station and the Main Street station.
Great Moments With Mr Lincoln: This is geared more towards the adults and it is different than the Hall of Presidents at WDW. This is the first thing we always go on when we enter Disneyland, it has become a tradition.
Finding Nemo Submarine Ride: Also not at WDW so this would be another new ride and it is real good for the kids.
Matterhorn: Yet another ride that is not at WDW.
Fantasmic: Much better version IMHO than the one at WDW.
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters: You and your child will have great fun trying to out do each others scores.

California Adventure must do's:

Carsland: Brand new area that will be crowded but is well worth going to. Get a fastpass early for Radiator Springs Racers as they run out fast.
World of Color: Excellent show but again make sure you get your fastpasses early for the show.
Aladdin: Don't miss this excellent stage show at the Hyperion Theater.
Soarin: Dont miss Soarin, personally I think it is the best ride in either park.
A Bugs Land: Your 4 year old will love this area as everything is oversized so its like your a bug. This area is geared for children of your childs age.
California Screamin: This is for you adults, especially if you like roller coasters with tight turns and loops. Its a great long ride too. I think its the best roller coaster in either park.
Toy Story Mania: Another ride just like Buzz Lightyear's in Disneyland where you will have fun with your child trying to outscore one another.

And of course the many other classic rides Disney is known for: The Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Its a Small World...etc...etc...etc...
I cant even begin to count the times I was constantly at Disneyland since my first visit in 1962, then I moved to Alaska in 1969 and lost contact until....DL 1982, DL 1985, DL 1988, DL 1990, DL 1994, DL 1997, DL 1999 , DL 2004, DL 2005, DL 2007, WDW 2009 (Pop), DL 2012, WDW 2013 (Pop).
Me DW
CaptainEIEIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
BLTisforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDisneyFam
HAve you read this thread?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

All depends on your food tastes.
Nope! Thanks. Will check that out. What is your favorite place to eat?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
BLTisforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEIEIO

Must do:

Park Hoppers, its a must since both parks are side by side as well as Downtown Disney. Its not like WDW whre you have to take a bus to get from one park to the other.

Disneyland must do's:

Pirates of the Caribbean, its different than WDW's is. Its a longer ride here, and the start of the ride is nice and peaceful before you make that first drop.
Indiana Jones: They dont have this at WDW so it would be a new ride for you.
Disneyland Railroad: This is also different at Disneyland than it is at WDW, there is a little added something between the Tomorrowland station and the Main Street station.
Great Moments With Mr Lincoln: This is geared more towards the adults and it is different than the Hall of Presidents at WDW. This is the first thing we always go on when we enter Disneyland, it has become a tradition.
Finding Nemo Submarine Ride: Also not at WDW so this would be another new ride and it is real good for the kids.
Matterhorn: Yet another ride that is not at WDW.
Fantasmic: Much better version IMHO than the one at WDW.
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters: You and your child will have great fun trying to out do each others scores.

California Adventure must do's:

Carsland: Brand new area that will be crowded but is well worth going to. Get a fastpass early for Radiator Springs Racers as they run out fast.
World of Color: Excellent show but again make sure you get your fastpasses early for the show.
Aladdin: Don't miss this excellent stage show at the Hyperion Theater.
Soarin: Dont miss Soarin, personally I think it is the best ride in either park.
A Bugs Land: Your 4 year old will love this area as everything is oversized so its like your a bug. This area is geared for children of your childs age.
California Screamin: This is for you adults, especially if you like roller coasters with tight turns and loops. Its a great long ride too. I think its the best roller coaster in either park.
Toy Story Mania: Another ride just like Buzz Lightyear's in Disneyland where you will have fun with your child trying to outscore one another.

And of course the many other classic rides Disney is known for: The Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Its a Small World...etc...etc...etc...
Thanks a million! Always good reminders on the rides/attractions. I was at DL last year for a few days for a conference. This is the first family trip so that will be very different. Loved the Matterhorn!

What are some of your favorite places to eat at? Inexpensive to expensive. Anything that you love?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
CaptainEIEIO
Even if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

Quote:
Thanks a million! Always good reminders on the rides/attractions. I was at DL last year for a few days for a conference. This is the first family trip so that will be very different. Loved the Matterhorn!

What are some of your favorite places to eat at? Inexpensive to expensive. Anything that you love?
First off don't do the Dining Plan at Disneyland, its not worth it and your better of just using cash. Don't do Pizza, its cardboard,

Churros, love those Churros and the Turkey Legs are the bomb too.

Our favorite Quick Service at DL is the French Market in New Orleans Square. It has a very good variety of food and it is all good. Bengal Barbecue is another good one, and they of course have barbecue. If you like Mexican food Rancho del Zocalo is good for that.

Our favorite Table Service is Blue Bayou, also in New Orleans square. Its cajun food for the most part, but they do have a kids menu if your child doesnt do cajun. If you do decide to go to the Blue Bayou I would highly recommend reservations and this is also a pricey place to eat so once is enough for each trip to Disneyland for us. And get a table by the water if you can, even if you have to wait a little while longer to get those tables it is worth the wait.

People with young kids may be able to tell you better than I could which character dining to do, my kids are all grown up and we don't do character dining anymore.
I cant even begin to count the times I was constantly at Disneyland since my first visit in 1962, then I moved to Alaska in 1969 and lost contact until....DL 1982, DL 1985, DL 1988, DL 1990, DL 1994, DL 1997, DL 1999 , DL 2004, DL 2005, DL 2007, WDW 2009 (Pop), DL 2012, WDW 2013 (Pop).
Me DW
CaptainEIEIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
BLTisforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEIEIO

First off don't do the Dining Plan at Disneyland, its not worth it and your better of just using cash. Don't do Pizza, its cardboard,

Churros, love those Churros and the Turkey Legs are the bomb too.

Our favorite Quick Service at DL is the French Market in New Orleans Square. It has a very good variety of food and it is all good. Bengal Barbecue is another good one, and they of course have barbecue. If you like Mexican food Rancho del Zocalo is good for that.

Our favorite Table Service is Blue Bayou, also in New Orleans square. Its cajun food for the most part, but they do have a kids menu if your child doesnt do cajun. If you do decide to go to the Blue Bayou I would highly recommend reservations and this is also a pricey place to eat so once is enough for each trip to Disneyland for us. And get a table by the water if you can, even if you have to wait a little while longer to get those tables it is worth the wait.

People with young kids may be able to tell you better than I could which character dining to do, my kids are all grown up and we don't do character dining anymore.
Thanks again! So helpful. When I booked the trip I remembered seeing that I couldn't book ADRs the same way. Almost 60 days out so I wanted to start to plan. Sounds like its going to be a different experience with reservations. Much easier!!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

I really love the Plaza Inn. It's not too expensive, but big portions and good food every time I've eaten there. Love their pasta! Someone probably already said it, but you really don't need ADR's for most places. The only we've -ever- gotten is at the Blue Bayou. I just keep track of where I'd like to eat and when we're hungry, we pick a place near us that we know we want to try!

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Here is one to help with ADRs

"What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

You can also check out the "My Disneyland Dining Reviews with Photos" thread.
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1253888&page=215
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
BLTisforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy
Here is one to help with ADRs

"What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467
Thanks!'
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
BLTisforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii
You can also check out the "My Disneyland Dining Reviews with Photos" thread.
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1253888&page=215
Fantastic! Thank you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: