Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
CluelessDisFan
Mouseketeer

Thank you!

This forum has some great info! I'm learning so much. I'm traveling to WDW in April with my Mom. She has MS, and is actually getting around pretty well. She's still not at the top of her game, and we are worried how well she's going to do at the parks in April. But I know Disney has thought of everybody at their parks, so I'm not really surprised. Just thankful, my mom can go enjoy the parks with her Grand daughters and I'm thankful for all of you here on the DisABILITIES forum for organizing some really great, and useful information!
I've found the links about the ECV rentals and park guides! Any other tips for traveling with disABILITIES at WDW would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Hi. I really hope your trip goes well. I have also found the people on these boards supportive and friendly. Being on the boards is a treat to itself!

Re your Mum. You obviously plan to rent a ECV which is great. Please do consider using one recommended here I had a bad experience last year. I hear Apple are good. Wish I had gone with them! Also it is very tiring. Plan her plenty of breaks. DW and I ( DW is not disabled ) come back to our resort every afternoon for a sit by the pool. I get too tired otherwise. I did not see your other posts so forgive me if this has already been said. If you can afford it stay at WDW for the transport to and from the parks. It makes all the difference. I like SSR because I can get to DTD on my own sometimes on my scooter a nice bit of independence but all resorts are nice.

Good luck! It is the happiest place on earth. I spend my year in and out of hospital getting infusions, being in pain but live for our yearly visits and come alive when the plane wheels touch down in Orlando. I swear it keeps me alive! Hope your Mum and you all enjoy it.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
CluelessDisFan
Mouseketeer

That's great! I know I love Disney so much it's hard to imagine life without it now. My Mom hasn't been to Disney park since 75' for her honeymoon to DLR. She's never been to WDW! She's really excited though. We are staying at POR in a Royal Guest Room, first time for that too! We'll be driving down to Orlando, and using our van to drive to and from the parks. I've read it's a bit easier with the exception of MK. We also plan to take a mid-day break for naps and relaxing by the pool.

I was reading about renting ECV in the theme parks. That they are gone by mid-morning. That's not a problem for us because we plan to be there at park opening. So when we return in the afternoon. I read sometimes you can have them held for your return at the same theme park. Has anyone had any experience with this?

She might see how well she does the first morning with just her cane. If it doesn't work out, and the ECVs are all rented out. We'll just have to cut that day short.

Also hoping the humidity is low in mid April, as that can exacerbate her condition.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessDisFan
That's great! I know I love Disney so much it's hard to imagine life without it now. My Mom hasn't been to Disney park since 75' for her honeymoon to DLR. She's never been to WDW! She's really excited though. We are staying at POR in a Royal Guest Room, first time for that too! We'll be driving down to Orlando, and using our van to drive to and from the parks. I've read it's a bit easier with the exception of MK. We also plan to take a mid-day break for naps and relaxing by the pool.

I was reading about renting ECV in the theme parks. That they are gone by mid-morning. That's not a problem for us because we plan to be there at park opening. So when we return in the afternoon. I read sometimes you can have them held for your return at the same theme park. Has anyone had any experience with this?

She might see how well she does the first morning with just her cane. If it doesn't work out, and the ECVs are all rented out. We'll just have to cut that day short.

Also hoping the humidity is low in mid April, as that can exacerbate her condition.
Yes for mk most people use the bus since it lets you out right in front.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Piper
DIS Veteran

The ECVs in the park are fairly equal to the ones you get in the supermarket and big box stores----slow and difficult to maneuver. It is much easier to rent one from an outside vendor (and much cheaper too.) They aren't that difficult to load on the bus (especially with the new low floor buses.)
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
CluelessDisFan
Mouseketeer

Thanks Piper! Thats good to know!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
asoko
Mouseketeer

i have MS (RRMS) also. I have rented an ECV from outside, then I am sure to have it a the resort and it is with me at all times. I have balance and fatigue issues. I could never last a day at Disney even with a midday break without the ECV. I use the buses every time. The ECVs I've used are very user friendly and easy to get on and off bus. Also with being dropped off right out front I dont have to even worry about being in the handicap lot
They also have a lever that can be switched so it can be moved by hand without it even being turned on.

As far as the heat/humidity. Make sure and have lots of water and even having a cooling device is a good idea. I have a neck cooler and take a water mister/fan. Try to stay in the shade or pop inside for the air conditioning.

I would also stop and get a handicap map if it is available. I have had problems in the past with the CMs not letting me go through the handicap line even though I am in the ECV, they wanted a GAC also. The first couple days on our last vacation it happened so frequently (and other issues) that I vowed never to go again.

So make sure you ask about what you need so your mom can enjoy her time and if need be ask for a manager. Disney is very good about fixing the problem and figuring a way to make your visit magical. After my husband went to the front desk at the hotel to voice our issues, they were very helpful in fixing it so we could enjoy ourselves...Thank you staff at the Pop Century
asoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

My son in law has MS and my biggest suggestion from going with him is to avoid dehydration and get enough sleep.

In most cases, there is no special 'handicap' line for attractions and most are accessible through the regular lines. All attractions at WDW are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding, with the exception of Swiss Family Robonson Treehouse and Tomorrowland Tansit Authority.

Not all lines are ECV accessible; those that are not are listed on the park maps, the special maps for guests with disabilities.. You can find a list of attraction ''mobility entrances" in a post in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
As long as you are using those entrances with a wheelchair or ECV, you will not need a Guest Assistsnce Card (see post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more information about GACs). If you are trying to go in lines that are listed as not being ECV accessible or in a different place, you will be asked for a GAC.

If you are entering at the "mobility access" with an ECV at an ECV accessible line and the CM at the entrance does not want to let you in, showing the map usually does the trick or you can ask for a manager.

For the lines that are not ECV accessible, see a CM before parking the ECV. If you need to use a wheelchair in line, they can provide one.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 02-15-2013 at 06:55 PM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: