Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Universal for under a $1000, it can be done.

Just wanted to give hope that a trip can be done on the cheap. I've got ours planned for a family of four for under $1000 for four nights & three days.

First night- cheapo hotel (Rodeway Inn Maingate) just for sleep since we won't be getting there until evening after a 12 hour drive. $28 with tax.

Second night- Onsite at RPR just so we get the perks. $286 + $18 parking = $304 with tax

Third & Fourth night- Country Inn & Suites Calypso $45 a night + resort fee = $132 with tax (it's a whopping $30 resort fee, but it's still the cheapest I could find for a one bedroom suite)

Two day tickets to Universal from Undercover Tourist $511 with tax

Grand Total: $975

Now we will be doing Universal for two days & our third day we will go to Sea World (we have season passes), But I think I did pretty good to be able to stay onsite for a night. We don't mind switching hotels. Plus, I'm aware this does not include food & gas. I can't wait until May

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Sounds wonderful!!!! That one day at RPR giving you two full days of perks will really make a difference!!!
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

The perks are the only reason we are staying onsite. I'm always trying to score a deal on trips (I think I enjoy it as much as the vacay itself), so when I booked RPR, I almost cried at the price. But it worked out. I figure to leave the cheopo hotel at 6:30 to check in at RPR & be ready for Harry Potter early entry by 8:00. Hopefully we will be able to wrap up the park pretty early so we can enjoy the resort that evening. Second day is for Studios.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Smart planning.. Nice job..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Sounds like a plan!
What date are y'all staying at that Rodeway. My date is coming up more.
I'm still "fine tuning" our trip details to save some $ and maximize the available entertainment time to squeeze into a 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 day period.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

If you are looking for some good deals for food, try the volcano nachos at Margaritaville. They are absolutely humongous and cheap---great for sharing!!! Also, Sal's Pizza at PBH is cheap and excellent.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Smart planning.. Nice job..
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeev View Post
Sounds like a plan!
What date are y'all staying at that Rodeway. My date is coming up more.
I'm still "fine tuning" our trip details to save some $ and maximize the available entertainment time to squeeze into a 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 day period.
We will be at Rodeway on 5/11, RPR 5/12 & Country Inn 5/13 & 14.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
If you are looking for some good deals for food, try the volcano nachos at Margaritaville. They are absolutely humongous and cheap---great for sharing!!! Also, Sal's Pizza at PBH is cheap and excellent.
Thanks, I've always wanted to eat at Margaritaville, I need to check out their menu. I also have AAA so maybe I can get discounts on food? Are reservations a must or can you just wing it that time of year? Good pizza is always good, which I'm planning on pizza the first night so we can just eat it for breakfast too on the way to RPR for early check in.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

I hear ya, but I always spend about double that on just food, gas, drinks, seems it was nothing to blow 100 a day on food, of course I like to eat at the nice places
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyann
Just wanted to give hope that a trip can be done on the cheap. I've got ours planned for a family of four for under $1000 for four nights & three days.

First night- cheapo hotel (Rodeway Inn Maingate) just for sleep since we won't be getting there until evening after a 12 hour drive. $28 with tax.

Second night- Onsite at RPR just so we get the perks. $286 + $18 parking = $304 with tax

Third & Fourth night- Country Inn & Suites Calypso $45 a night + resort fee = $132 with tax (it's a whopping $30 resort fee, but it's still the cheapest I could find for a one bedroom suite)

Two day tickets to Universal from Undercover Tourist $511 with tax

Grand Total: $975

Now we will be doing Universal for two days & our third day we will go to Sea World (we have season passes), But I think I did pretty good to be able to stay onsite for a night. We don't mind switching hotels. Plus, I'm aware this does not include food & gas. I can't wait until May
Your drive sounds like ours cause we will be going in June and we have a almost 13 hour drive ahead of us
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyann View Post
Thanks!

We will be at Rodeway on 5/11, RPR 5/12 & Country Inn 5/13 & 14.

Thanks, I've always wanted to eat at Margaritaville, I need to check out their menu. I also have AAA so maybe I can get discounts on food? Are reservations a must or can you just wing it that time of year? Good pizza is always good, which I'm planning on pizza the first night so we can just eat it for breakfast too on the way to RPR for early check in.
As long as you are in a slow time, you can wing it. Remember to show your room key...it will get you preferred seating, ahead of the normal wait list.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
indimom
Are We There Yet?

We found a way as well!
We are using rewards from Amex to cover two nights onsite at RPR.
Three day tickets for the 4 of us were $600.

We are sooo excited to be going back and can't wait.
You will LOVE the on-site perks! They're priceless! We felt a "little" guilty going through the Express lane over and over again on MIB while bypassing the same people in the standby line, but... we got over that pretty quick. It was just awesome to be able to repeat our faves an unlimited number of times!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
gordigor
Earning My Ears

I always feel bad seeing those people walk from hotels on IDrive to Universal Blvd.
gordigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordigor
I always feel bad seeing those people walk from hotels on IDrive to Universal Blvd.
I was one of those people lol
But not this year cause we will be at our favorite onsite hotel the RPR
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
cbsnyber1
Baxter the zzzzzzz Corgi Wonderdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Agree absolutely on the VNs - just don't down four margaritas with them or your value meal just went out the window.

"The problem is not that some set the bar too high and miss it, it's that some set the bar too low and hit it"

cbsnyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: