Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
oneandonlytara
Earning My Ears

Question If I can't ride Space Mountain, is Expedition Everest out too?

Hey everyone!

I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to the World in 2015 after having gone this past September with a group of friends. I used to go every so often when I was younger, but had not been in close to 12 years.

As such, I've never gotten the chance to go to Animal Kingdom as it opened after I'd last been with family and unfortunately, my vote to visit the park on one of our days was quickly vetoed and we went to Epcot instead. I've been assured that since we're planning on visiting all four major parks this time that we'll hit up AK one day.

Here's the thing- I LOVE rollercoasters. I have no issues with any of them at Disney except for Space Mountain because of the bucket seats and the T-bar restraint. Transferring doesn't pose much of an issue because there are friends around to help, but I can only brace myself with my right leg and arm and feel more comfortable having someone beside me while riding things like RnRC so that they can grab hold of my left arm. Now, to me EE seems much like BTMRR only faster, with more dips and the backwards portion. I can handle that one fine too, but since EE only has the lapbar, am I gonna feel like I'm gonna fall out mid ride? It should be noted that I definitely slid down in the seat last time I rode BTMRR. Not enough to leave me panicked, because my best friend was beside me and had her arm around me for support, but it was enough that during the loading process before our second go round, I needed to be boosted back.

I'd really like to ride EE, but are all my hopes dashed?
oneandonlytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

If you can ride BTMRR, than I think EE would be doable. It is a much smoother coaster than BTMRR and it is 2 people to a seat, so you would have someone with you. I say try it!
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
oneandonlytara
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I definitely want to attempt it. It looks like a blast!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

I would agree that you might be able to do this one. You would be able to sit with someone. BTMRR seems to go around corners and push you to the side of the ride car but from what I can recall about EE it is mostly up and down so maybe you will not slip down your seat as much.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

I have nearly slid out of the seat on BTMRR every time I ride with my husband. However, I have never had a problem with EE. Go for it!

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
oneandonlytara
Earning My Ears

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. Since it's an actual seat and not a bench I'm hoping it'll be a bit better.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
gusdmh
Mouseketeer

There are some videos on YouTube of people riding EE. You should check it out.
gusdmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
oneandonlytara
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusdmh View Post
There are some videos on YouTube of people riding EE. You should check it out.
I already have.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

http://allears.net/tp/ak/ak_ee5.htm. Have you seen this? It shows photos of the seats themselves and the restraints, as well as the legroom area. That might help?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

EE has two people next to each other so I would say sit on which ever side you have more strength being the outside side. So if at all possible you want to be on the side further from the platform. If you think you can make it to the next seat don't worry about the little bit of extra load time. You'll have the time of your life and feel more safe.

If you ever make it out to Disneyland check out Space Mountain there because it is an entirely different system and has two people next to each other so your friends would be able to support you. That way you can ride a ride that seems to be on a top priority.
wilkeliza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
oneandonlytara
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
http://allears.net/tp/ak/ak_ee5.htm. Have you seen this? It shows photos of the seats themselves and the restraints, as well as the legroom area. That might help?
AllEars was actually the first place I went to look for seating pics to check on the restraint. I should be ok given that there's two people/row, but I just wanted to check on other peoples' perspective given that I physically cannot do Space Mountain due to the similarity in restraints and the bucket style seats that have one person behind the other. Thanks for the link, though!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
oneandonlytara
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
EE has two people next to each other so I would say sit on which ever side you have more strength being the outside side. So if at all possible you want to be on the side further from the platform. If you think you can make it to the next seat don't worry about the little bit of extra load time. You'll have the time of your life and feel more safe.

If you ever make it out to Disneyland check out Space Mountain there because it is an entirely different system and has two people next to each other so your friends would be able to support you. That way you can ride a ride that seems to be on a top priority.
That's actually what I do already . I always make sure someone is to my left whenever possible. During our last trip, while riding BTMRR my friend was actually to my right because she lifted me in first and then sat herself, but it worked out ok except for when I started to kind of slide. Her cousin was actually going to squeeze in beside me on my left for our second go round (they let us ride twice) to add support, but there wasn't enough time and it would have been a tight squeeze with three to a bench, lol. As it was, my friend felt like she was going to fly out of the ride and was holding onto me like it was her job.

I definitely wish Space Mountain at wdw is set up like it is at dl. I don't think it'd be much of an issue at all then. I've been assured by my best friend that I'm not really missing much, but I kind of wish I could try it still. It's literally the only ride (besides the water slides at the water parks) that I cannot do that I wish I could. I just don't have the stability for it sadly. Watching videos of it on Youtube will have to do.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

I'd say yes, for sure!!!!
I pulled my bar down so tight that I couldn't have moved if I wanted to! I don't remember bracing with my legs at all.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
oneandonlytara
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
I'd say yes, for sure!!!!
I pulled my bar down so tight that I couldn't have moved if I wanted to! I don't remember bracing with my legs at all.

Oh, I'll probably give my bar the most clicks it'll go to be tight without being painful for sure. Good to know I won't feel like I'm being whipped all over the place like BTMRR. Some of its sharp dips are killer. Love the ride to death, but man!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlytara

Oh, I'll probably give my bar the most clicks it'll go to be tight without being painful for sure. Good to know I won't feel like I'm being whipped all over the place like BTMRR. Some of its sharp dips are killer. Love the ride to death, but man!
I can't do Big Thunder or Space, but Everest is my favorite!!!
I've had 13 serious abdominal surgeries, so I can't do really jerky. Everest is very smooth.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: