Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #76
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_fans View Post
My family and I just debarked from the Disney Magic's 12-night Eastern Med cruise. All of the ports were beautiful. While Rome and Athens were on most people's bucket lists, I heard a lot of passengers say that Kushadasi (Ephesus) was simply amazing and one of their favorite stops. I would have to agree. We are really looking forward to visiting it again next June and seeing even more of the Greek Isles. We only did Disney excursions, but if anyone has questions about Athens, Mykonos or Kushadasi, I would be happy to answer them.
Hi! We just came off that cruise as well and loved it so much that we booked the 9 night Venice while on board. This will be our 8th Disney Cruise. It will be just DH & me. Our room # is 6148 and we're interested in doing the FE.
__________________
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #77
Disney_fans
Earning My Ears
 
Disney_fans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Hi! We just came off that cruise as well and loved it so much that we booked the 9 night Venice while on board. This will be our 8th Disney Cruise. It will be just DH & me. Our room # is 6148 and we're interested in doing the FE.
Hi Maryann! I'm so glad you'll be sailing with us. You and Tom were the first people we met at our Disboard meet, and we enjoyed running into you around the ship. - Michelle, Sheila, Jordan and Cameron
__________________
Michelle

Disney_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #78
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_fans View Post
Hi Maryann! I'm so glad you'll be sailing with us. You and Tom were the first people we met at our Disboard meet, and we enjoyed running into you around the ship. - Michelle, Sheila, Jordan and Cameron
Michelle,

That's great that we'll be sail mates! It will be nice to see you, Sheila and your children again! Yes, we did seem to be on the same schedule. Funny, some people you keep bumping into and others you don't see at all! Am I mistaken or were planning on spending time in the states after the cruise. Colorado????

Can't wait to see Venice and Rhodes, plus the new stop in Greece, which I think is close to where the first Olympics were held.
__________________
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #79
Disney_fans
Earning My Ears
 
Disney_fans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Michelle,

That's great that we'll be sail mates! It will be nice to see you, Sheila and your children again! Yes, we did seem to be on the same schedule. Funny, some people you keep bumping into and others you don't see at all! Am I mistaken or were planning on spending time in the states after the cruise. Colorado????

Can't wait to see Venice and Rhodes, plus the new stop in Greece, which I think is close to where the first Olympics were held.
We leave tomorrow to spend a week in Colorado and then we will enjoy a week on Disney's Fantasy with a trip to St. Maarten and St. Thomas/St. John. It will be our first time on one of the new ships. It will also be our 5th cruise, so we'll be gold for our sailing out of Venice. I can't wait to see all the changes to the Magic next year. I took lots of pictures of the ship last week so I can have before and after photos.
__________________
Michelle

Disney_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #80
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,652

Hotels in Venice?

Does anyone have any links to the hotels that Disney will use or hotels that people plan to use on the Venice cruises. We're starting to look at hotels for a pre cruise stay and we'd like to narrow down the area of Venice that is convenient to get to and not too expensive.
__________________

Last edited by MrsG; 08-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #81
Disney_fans
Earning My Ears
 
Disney_fans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Does anyone have any links to the hotels that Disney will use or hotels that people plan to use on the Venice cruises. We're starting to look at hotels for a pre cruise stay and we'd like to narrow down the area of Venice that is convenient to get to and not too expensive.
We are just starting to look at hotels, too. Kathy Watson from our July cruise stayed in Venice prior to Barcelona. She raved about Hotel Canal Grande. She said it was about a 30 minute walk from the main square, but it was in a great area and was very reasonable. You can read her reviews of it and see photos on the Eastern Med Mouseketeers Facebook page.
__________________
Michelle

Disney_fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #82
htmlkid
Gold DCL Member / SSR DVC Member
 
htmlkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Hi! We just came off that cruise as well and loved it so much that we booked the 9 night Venice while on board. This will be our 8th Disney Cruise. It will be just DH & me. Our room # is 6148 and we're interested in doing the FE.
Welcome and you have been added to the FE List
__________________

htmlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #83
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_fans View Post
We are just starting to look at hotels, too. Kathy Watson from our July cruise stayed in Venice prior to Barcelona. She raved about Hotel Canal Grande. She said it was about a 30 minute walk from the main square, but it was in a great area and was very reasonable. You can read her reviews of it and see photos on the Eastern Med Mouseketeers Facebook page.
Thanks Michelle, found it. I'll check it out!
__________________
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #84
ButterbearUK
Mouseketeer
 
ButterbearUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 124

Hotel Canal Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_fans View Post
We are just starting to look at hotels, too. Kathy Watson from our July cruise stayed in Venice prior to Barcelona. She raved about Hotel Canal Grande. She said it was about a 30 minute walk from the main square, but it was in a great area and was very reasonable. You can read her reviews of it and see photos on the Eastern Med Mouseketeers Facebook page.
We stayed at the Hotel Canal Grande on a previous trip to Venice. It's lovely. The rooms are all recently decorated and very plush, the lobby is very smart, the staff attentive and helpful, and the continental breakfast was good.

Venice in June is expensive. They quoted us 280 euros a night for an alleyway view and 380 euros a night for a canal view for the two days before our cruise next year, which is not too bad for Venice in June, but a little beyond our budget. So we also got a quote from their sister hotel, the Hotel Antiche Figure, just a little closer to the cruise port. They quoted us 255 euros a night for an alley view, and 325 euros a night for a canal view, but reduced the price to 240 euros a night for each room (alleyway view) because we are staying for 4 nights. Their rooms look much the same as the Canal Grande, and the staff have been very helpful with our bookings

Interestingly the Antiche also has a small number of "residence suites", which are effectively one bed suites with a sofa bed- good for families. We were quoted 355 euros a night for one of these.

Both are well located from the cruise port. You just walk across the canal and then take the people mover to the port apparently.

Emilia
__________________
WDW Offsite Aug 1990 ~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Opening Week April 1992 ~ WDW Contemporary Aug 1994 ~ DL Offsite Aug 1995 ~ WDW Dixie Landings Aug 1998 ~ WDW Offsite Aug 2001 ~ WDW Port Orleans Riverside Jan 2005 ~ WDW Pop Century Dec 2005 ~ DCL July 2007 10 day Med Cruise ~ WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Sept 2009 ~ WDW AKL September 2011
Disney Magic 9 night Med Cruise June 2014- Can't Wait!!!!!!

Last edited by ButterbearUK; 08-05-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: More information added
ButterbearUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #85
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,652

Agreed, the prices for the hotels are quite high. We booked the Hotel Ai Reali which is close to the Riato Bridge and about a 5 min walk from town center. It got rave reviews on trip advisor as being close to the action without the crowds. It was once a palace so the decor is supposed to be very nice. The price is about $360 per night, much more than we usually spend but it seems to be easy to walk everywhere and close to water taxi stops. I feel better having a hotel booked. When I went on Expedia and AAA, I couldn't believe how many were sold out already!
__________________
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #86
ButterbearUK
Mouseketeer
 
ButterbearUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
When I went on Expedia and AAA, I couldn't believe how many were sold out already!
Your hotel looks lovely

I think quite a few have not yet published their rates and availability for next year, so they may not necessarily be sold out. That said, it is a popular time in Venice, so worth booking early if you can. We had to email both the hotels I mentioned to ask for quotes. They haven't released any price info on their website yet.

European hotels are much more old fashioned. It is a pain if you rely on the web to find good deals... If you see somewhere you like and Expedia etc don't show availability, email the hotel direct and ask. They are generally happy to correspond in English. In fact, even if you find a good deal online it is worth emailing to ask if they will match it. We got a discount at Canal Grande that way, they matched a web rate for us, and didn't charge the credit card fee for payment. It also worth emailing to ask for help organising water taxis, restaurants and excursions. Most hotels are happy to do this if you ask them to.
__________________
WDW Offsite Aug 1990 ~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Opening Week April 1992 ~ WDW Contemporary Aug 1994 ~ DL Offsite Aug 1995 ~ WDW Dixie Landings Aug 1998 ~ WDW Offsite Aug 2001 ~ WDW Port Orleans Riverside Jan 2005 ~ WDW Pop Century Dec 2005 ~ DCL July 2007 10 day Med Cruise ~ WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Sept 2009 ~ WDW AKL September 2011
Disney Magic 9 night Med Cruise June 2014- Can't Wait!!!!!!
ButterbearUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #87
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterbearUK View Post
Your hotel looks lovely

I think quite a few have not yet published their rates and availability for next year, so they may not necessarily be sold out. That said, it is a popular time in Venice, so worth booking early if you can. We had to email both the hotels I mentioned to ask for quotes. They haven't released any price info on their website yet.

European hotels are much more old fashioned. It is a pain if you rely on the web to find good deals... If you see somewhere you like and Expedia etc don't show availability, email the hotel direct and ask. They are generally happy to correspond in English. In fact, even if you find a good deal online it is worth emailing to ask if they will match it. We got a discount at Canal Grande that way, they matched a web rate for us, and didn't charge the credit card fee for payment. It also worth emailing to ask for help organising water taxis, restaurants and excursions. Most hotels are happy to do this if you ask them to.
Thanks so much for the tip! Never thought to email or call. I hope they just didn't publish their rates yet. If they are really sold out, we're going to be packed like sardines walking around! Will definitely contact them about the water taxi and excursions as time gets closer. I'm hoping it's easier to get around than it appears.......
__________________
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #88
ButterbearUK
Mouseketeer
 
ButterbearUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Thanks so much for the tip! Never thought to email or call. I hope they just didn't publish their rates yet. If they are really sold out, we're going to be packed like sardines walking around! Will definitely contact them about the water taxi and excursions as time gets closer. I'm hoping it's easier to get around than it appears.......

It's very easy to get around Venice. It's small, and flat, so easy to walk around if you have a decent map or don't mind getting a bit lost. We got lost on our second day there and found some much nicer mask shops and restaurants than those on the tourist trails as a result. It is a safe place to walk around generally, and the people are friendly.

It's also easy to navigate by the yellow and white water buses. You just get a ticket for 24/48 hours and you can hop on and off. It will be super busy in June, not Main Street on 4th July busy, but certainly busy enough for the water buses to feel seriously squashed, but don't let that put you off. The major tourist sites will have queues at peak times, but if you know where you want to go, plan your days and go to your must sees early you will be fine.

To get from the airport to venice you can take the bus, train or water taxi. When we went last there were two of us with very little luggage so the bus was easiest. This time there are 4 of us with cruise luggage, so we have booked a water taxi to deliver us from airport to hotel. After that we will be walking and using the water taxis. Most of the 4 star hotels have some excursions available. Ours does Trips to murano glassworks on certain days.

How long are you staying for, and what are your must sees?
__________________
WDW Offsite Aug 1990 ~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Opening Week April 1992 ~ WDW Contemporary Aug 1994 ~ DL Offsite Aug 1995 ~ WDW Dixie Landings Aug 1998 ~ WDW Offsite Aug 2001 ~ WDW Port Orleans Riverside Jan 2005 ~ WDW Pop Century Dec 2005 ~ DCL July 2007 10 day Med Cruise ~ WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Sept 2009 ~ WDW AKL September 2011
Disney Magic 9 night Med Cruise June 2014- Can't Wait!!!!!!
ButterbearUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #89
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?
 
MrsG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Malverne, NY
Posts: 3,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterbearUK View Post
It's very easy to get around Venice. It's small, and flat, so easy to walk around if you have a decent map or don't mind getting a bit lost. We got lost on our second day there and found some much nicer mask shops and restaurants than those on the tourist trails as a result. It is a safe place to walk around generally, and the people are friendly.

It's also easy to navigate by the yellow and white water buses. You just get a ticket for 24/48 hours and you can hop on and off. It will be super busy in June, not Main Street on 4th July busy, but certainly busy enough for the water buses to feel seriously squashed, but don't let that put you off. The major tourist sites will have queues at peak times, but if you know where you want to go, plan your days and go to your must sees early you will be fine.

To get from the airport to venice you can take the bus, train or water taxi. When we went last there were two of us with very little luggage so the bus was easiest. This time there are 4 of us with cruise luggage, so we have booked a water taxi to deliver us from airport to hotel. After that we will be walking and using the water taxis. Most of the 4 star hotels have some excursions available. Ours does Trips to murano glassworks on certain days.

How long are you staying for, and what are your must sees?
Thanks so much for the info. I feel a lot better! We're checking in Sun. before the cruise and out on Thursday, Cruise day - so 4 nights. We want to do all the major sites: Doge's Palace, St Mark's, etc. We also want to see Murano and Burano and maybe a few of the other islands and, of course a gondola ride, the usual touristy things. That being said, we also enjoy just walking around and absorbing the culture of the city we're in. That's when you really feel you've visited.
__________________
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #90
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!
 
thestewarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 161

Hi all.

We are just off the Magic after 12 wonderful magical nights. Booked for this cruise for next year so just starting to recover from the travelling, albeit short compared to some.

Hotel tips would be useful if anyone has any reasonably priced recommendations?
__________________
*******************************
DH , DW & DD(14)
thestewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: