Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
A Belle Among Beasts
Earning My Ears

Simply overwhelmed...where to start?

I'm currently (belatedly apparently!) planning an early May trip...our first ever! DH and I don't have little ones, so this is just a pair of supposedly grown up kids going out to play. With work obligations, 2 pups to board and a limited budget, we're thinking a 4 night stay. It looks like our dates have lucked into at least discounted rooms if we stay on site. I will say that Disney's reservation system online is seriously confusing...but maybe that's just me.

Is staying on site the best option for first timers? There are some really cheap rates out for off site hotels, but by the time resort fees and parking fees are tacked on, the rate isn't *that* much cheaper. Are the value resorts with their perks worth ~$25/day?

With 4 days worth of tickets, which park would be the best to get the short shift or left out entirely? I've read that both AK and HS are "half day parks." Would it be crazy to skip one totally in favor of hitting MK on arrival day plus another day?

Ok, that is enough pestering of y'all for now...but I will be back with more LOL!
A Belle Among Beasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

Value Resorts

The All Stars (Movies, Music & Sports); Pop Century; Art of Animation are the 5 Value Resorts & they will be the cheapest Dollar wise. If all you need for you hotel is a bed, shower & quick Breakfast eats, then the Values are your ticket to onsite fun!

Try to find out which parks are have Extra Magic Hours for the days your there. * The extra hour or 3 for Disney Resort guest is one of those perks! * Also DAK Closes before all 3 of the other Parks.

If possible do Disney's Hollywood Studios on your arrival day, the reason some people say it is a 1/2 day park is because Size wise it is the Smallest.

2nd Day hit Magic Kingdom, 3rd Day Hit Epcot, Day 4 hit Animal Kingdom & use you evening of that day to return to either MK or EPCOT.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
DisneyDad222
Earning My Ears

For the hotel, I'd always recommend staying atbthe resort, the buses to the parks make life much easier than driving, parking and so on. If you're planning on hitting the parks for the bulk of your time, then value resorts as a great place to stay, rooms are nice...they have a bed...what else do you really need? Id recommend pop century because it doesnt share a bus stop with two other resorts. If you are planning to do a resort style vaca with plenty of pool time then it might be better to go with a moderate resort like POR or CBR.

As far as parks, of it's just the two of you and you like rides, you may want to spend time re-riding EE in AK or ToT and RNR in HS. These are half day parks, but you could actually hit them both in a day if you get the park hopper and leave an extra day to revisit MK. If I were to ski one, it would be AK.

Hope this helps, good luck.
9/11 - CBR - DS's first trip with dw, grandma and nana - free dining, mnsshp, found out week before the dw was preggers again....
3/13 - BWV here we come...DD's first trip at 10mos old! Yikes...
DisneyDad222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

We have stayed both onsite (hotel) and offsite (condo). Both were fine. We liked the space and the price of the condo. We liked the extra magic hours and Disney theme of the hotel. I don't like riding the busses. They just take too dang long to get anywhere and sometimes you don't get a seat. After a long day I want a seat. We have never spent a lot of time at our resort on our trips. It was just a place to rest. We were in the parks, DTD, or the waterparks the whole time. You may have different priorities.

For first timers I always suggest getting the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" book and subscribing to the companion website touringplans.com. The website has a crowd calendar telling you which is the least crowded park on each day of your visit. The book and website have touring plans which tell you the most efficient way to see/ride everthing and avoid waiting in line. WDW is expensive, you want to get the most for your money, not waste time and money trying to decide what to do next or waiting 1.5 hours to ride Toy Story Mania!

After you decide which park/s you are going to which days, then you can make your ADRs. You should make your ADRs soon if you haven't already because your 180 day window has come and gone. Some super popular places are already booked up.

Last, have a great time planning your trip!
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardLarz View Post
The All Stars (Movies, Music & Sports); Pop Century; Art of Animation are the 5 Value Resorts & they will be the cheapest Dollar wise. If all you need for you hotel is a bed, shower & quick Breakfast eats, then the Values are your ticket to onsite fun!

Try to find out which parks are have Extra Magic Hours for the days your there. * The extra hour or 3 for Disney Resort guest is one of those perks! * Also DAK Closes before all 3 of the other Parks.

If possible do Disney's Hollywood Studios on your arrival day, the reason some people say it is a 1/2 day park is because Size wise it is the Smallest.

2nd Day hit Magic Kingdom, 3rd Day Hit Epcot, Day 4 hit Animal Kingdom & use you evening of that day to return to either MK or EPCOT.
That is a good plan if you have a the Park Hopper option to go back to MK or Epcot check prices. It might be cheaper to add a 5th day instead of ph.
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
A Belle Among Beasts
Earning My Ears

We will be opting out of park hopper passes. It adds a layer of costs and potential wasted time. I also know that while I'd love chunks of resort time, DH would want to be on the move in the parks and not wasting potential fun time on "just a hotel" LOL! He's all about squeezing every penny's worth of fun out of a vacation.

I appreciate all of the hints and suggestions. Digesting all of this is work!
A Belle Among Beasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
ddean1968
Earning My Ears

If budgeting, my suggestion is off site. Not sure how much you have budgeted for food? However one of the reasons the Value Resorts was a turn off for our past trips was the lack of a microwave ( heard fridges are in now ). So for us, one of the planning phases was how much food was going to be factoring in. For us, offsite, with a car rental was actually less in the long run. Even factoring in gas and parking fees at the parks. If you plan to eat in the parks each day be sure to add in that cost, unless you get a meal plan for the resort package.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

My dh and I go by ourselves too. We don't spend much time in the hotel room, except to sleep and bathe. We do like to sit outside by the pool in morning before we head for the parks. I'd vote for staying at a value just for the convenience of being on site.
Wait.....we're staying where? and when??

2001 - All Star Movies; 2010 - POFQ; 2011 - POFQ; 2013- Caribbean Beach
Iamthequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
baboo800
Earning My Ears

i would suggest the grand Floridian or bay lake tower to stay

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
baboo800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

Are you driving

or flying? If you are flying you get free Magical Express to your on site hotel. You will have full use of the Disney transportation system (buses, boats, monorails) while there. If you are driving you will still have full use of the Disney transportation system as well so you will not have to pay for parking.

If you are driving you can pack in food. Take a cooler with you to the parks and bring beverages and snacks/sandwiches. You can bring breakfast snacks as well like toaster pastries, microwave sandwiches etc. You can use the toasters and microwaves at the resort food courts to heat them up. Most room have coffee makers so you can bring your own coffee and filters. The provide one set u
If you are flying and plan to check bags you can put food beverages in your checked luggage. My wife and I pack our adult beverages and mixers in our checked bags and it saves us a bunch of money not buying them at Disney. We love to relax by the pool after a day at the parks.

As far as the resorts go, we love Pop and Art of Animation but any of the All Star's will do. Staying off site you would have to have a car or use the once daily bus service they provide. This can be stressful. We love waking up at a Disney resort, walking to the food court for a fresh hot breakfast and then heading to the park of the day. If you stay off site and drive you have to pay the daily parking fee of $25. This can negate the cost savings of staying off site.

Just our 2 cents!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

My advice to a first timer is to remember that you will not be able to do it all but you will be able to do everything you want (worse case you can do most of what you want).

I would also suggest staying on site if you can afford it. Some people love it, some people think its not worth it. You'll never know what you think until you try it.

Don't worry if you feel like you've missed something. You'll be back eventually!

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: