Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post

If you have small backless booster seats, you may be able to carry them on and put it in the overhead compartment, or under the seat in front of you.
Being as they can't be used on the aircraft, would those then count as 2 of their carry on bag allotment?
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Being as they can't be used on the aircraft, would those then count as 2 of their carry on bag allotment?
Not in my experience - most airlines allow carseats to be checked through, gate checked or carried on for no charge. Even if they did count - the OP has 4 ticketed passengers so is entitled to 4 carryons plus 4 "personal items". A low back booster will fit fine under the seat - esp the seat of a child young enough to use it

Honestly though, with a low backed booster I would take the chance on checking it through as it really only acts as a belt positioner for older children who don't fit the lap/shoulder belt. Not sure that any real damage can be done to them that would change their effectivness. I would not chance the infant seat and would definately carry on or gate check with carry on my first choice.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
?... I would not chance the infant seat and would definately carry on or gate check with carry on my first choice.
Car seats don't count against baggage allowance.

If the baby does not have a ticket, the car seat needs to be checked.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

there is a chance of any checked bag or car seat not making your plane. these things do happen. have had it happpen to us. would have some kind of plan in case. have seen gate checked items handled roughly. seen some fall off belt to place in plane.
Betty Rohrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
kathysr98
Earning My Ears

Neither checking nor gate checking is a safe option for any car seat. The boosters should be carried on as a personal item to go under the seat in front of the child or packed in the center of a large piece of luggage with clothes on all sides for padding. Or better yet, get two Bubble Bum boosters and pack them most anywhere.

The best case scenario for the infant seat is an unoccupied seat on the plane and being allowed to use it free of charge. Barring that possibility, it should be packed in a substantial cardboard box with ample padding. The advantages of cardboard are that it can collapse a bit to provide some padding and it will show damage if the seat has been treated roughly, so you know to replace the seat. A little extra time spent will go a long way toward keeping your children safe.
kathysr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
amylevan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathysr98 View Post
Neither checking nor gate checking is a safe option for any car seat. The boosters should be carried on as a personal item to go under the seat in front of the child or packed in the center of a large piece of luggage with clothes on all sides for padding. Or better yet, get two Bubble Bum boosters and pack them most anywhere.

The best case scenario for the infant seat is an unoccupied seat on the plane and being allowed to use it free of charge. Barring that possibility, it should be packed in a substantial cardboard box with ample padding. The advantages of cardboard are that it can collapse a bit to provide some padding and it will show damage if the seat has been treated roughly, so you know to replace the seat. A little extra time spent will go a long way toward keeping your children safe.
I know this post is a month old, but I was searching for something related and i just wanted to add that according to the Manufacturers Alliance for Child Passenger Safety:

"Car seats are designed to withstand most motor vehicle crash forces. In general, the MACPS does not consider a gate-checked car seat or a car seat that is checked as luggage to be one that has experienced forces equivalent to a motor vehicle crash. Once the destination is reached, it is recommended to inspect the car seat to make sure no visual damage has occurred and all aspects of the car seat function properly." (August 2012)

In other words, the experts on the matter say check away.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

You are renting a car, right? I know that seems like a dumb question but a lot of parents who ask about car seats are actually taking Disney's Magical Express. They don't realize that car seats aren't needed.

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: