Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
adeline723
Earning My Ears

Do you pick the ship or the destinations?

What did you pick first on your first cruise?

Did it change on future cruises?

Struggling to make the decision....
adeline723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeline723 View Post

We planned our wedding around a Disney ship arriving in Los Angeles. Didn't care where it went, only that we didn't have to fly and that it was a week-long cruise. Turned out to be the Wonder Mexican Riviera. Now that there are new ships that are bigger and more crowded, we choose the classic ships to preserve the kind of vacation we want. We also look for departure port and how much flying will add to the total per person cost. Never really care where the ship goes, as it's always an adventure and a great time just being on the ship.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Itinerary comes first here, then costs, then cruiseline. But we've not done all the itineraries there are to do, so not much repeating here.

If I were to select an itinerary that I've done before, I might go with a different cruiseline to see how they do it, or do a repeat of the original. It would depend on the cost.

EDITed to set up like the others
Cruise 1 - Panama Canal (DCL) booked for itinerary and because it was Disney
Cruise 2 - Alaska booked for itinerary, cost (not DCL)
Cruise 3&4 - Med/WBTA booked for itinerary & because Disney
Cruise 5&6 - MR booked for cost, from LA, and Disney (first time taking other family on Disney)
Cruise 7 - Alaska Cruise/Tour, itinerary won on this one (not DCL)
Cruise 8 - Hawaii, out of LA, Disney (again introducing different family to Disney)

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 02-14-2013 at 06:23 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
holula
DIS Veteran

My first cruise it was the destination - Alaska. It was the only way I would consider cruising! Whereas the last cruise I went on, I went for being on a cruise. Next January we are taking a cruise on the Magic just to complete all four ships.

However on DCL, destination will always win over the ship.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
MagicalMawMaw
DIS Veteran

We are going on our first cruise in April.

The reason we picked this one is:

1. It's Disney
2. It leaves from Galveston...so we can drive to the port...no airline tickets.
3. It isn't gone on a Sunday.
4. Where it went this time wasn't a biggie to us this time as we've never been to any of the places cruises go. So anyplace seemed special to us for our first time.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

It changes for us.

1st cruise - 2-night cruise to nowhere because it was based out of LA
2nd & 3rd cruise - B2B on the Dream because we wanted to try out the brand new ship
4th cruise - MR on the Wonder because it was in LA
5th cruise - Pacific Coast Cruise because we got a great deal on a cruise out of LA
6th cruise (coming up) - Fantasy Eastern because we wanted to cruise on the new ship again.
7th cruise (just booked 2-night from San Diego) - location again, it is here in So Cal.
8th cruise (just booked Alaska) - because my Mom really wants to see Alaska.

(so we are kind of all over the place for this question, LOL).
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

First cruise was last summer to Alaska--we picked based on the destination and because it left from Seattle and this was the first (and possibly only) time DCL was near us. Turns out we loved being on the Wonder.

Second cruise will be Thanksgiving of this year on the Wonder to the Bahamas, but that wasn't the original itinerary. I think originally it was a Western Caribbean cruise. We chose that cruise based on the date (not too much time off from school), the ship, and the fact that we didn't have to fly to Florida to get on the ship. (And we liked our cabin so much on the Wonder that we selected the exact same one again.)

I don't know when our third cruise will be. We love the 9 and 12 night European itineraries in 2014, but they are too expensive for us especially when we think of airfare from the West Coast. If DCL would base a ship out of California again it would make it much easier for us to cruise. Right now I'm thinking it will be Alaska in 2015

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We had always picked the itinerary UNTIL the DGKids came. For them, they are now, 8,9,10, and it's Disney all the way!

DH and I still pick itinerary. We are finally, after 30+ cruises going to Jamaica on RCCL next January. Carnival has been a line we look at, went to Roatan Honduras and Belize on the Legand last January.

Carnival was a possibility for next year, until I saw RCCLs price & itinerary which we liked better. From now on, though, it will be a long time until we look at Carnival again.

In the Baltic, Disney was there when we sailed on Princess. Princess went to Gdansk, Disney didn't.

Best wishes as you decide what's best for you.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

Quote:

First I picked the time frame. I was looking for a Disney cruise the last week of October because that's when the kids have fall break and the cost to travel is cheaper than summer. Plus fewer crowds. I then looked at what itinerary the family would enjoy. It's our first cruise so which ship didn't factor it because they all look amazing and we haven't experienced any at this point.

Our trip isn't until next October but I'm already giving thought to where to cruise next so I'm prepared to book while on the ship. Again, I'm focused on the itinerary and not the ship. That could change and after experiencing Wonder I may be more driven to want to experience one of the newer ships. But I don't think I'd want to do the same itinerary again.

Moi DH Michael (13) Catie (10)

Disney HalloWonder Bahamian Cruise - Oct 26, 2013
Pre-trip Report The Yours Mine and Ours Mystery Tour
Trip Report We Are Family (I've got all my children with me) HalloWonder Trip Report
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
n8nally
DIS Veteran

This being our first cruise, destination didn't matter since we haven't been anywhere. I chose the Port first. I wanted Port Canaveral since that's about an hour from my house and my sister can drive us saving me parking $$. Secondly, I can't afford (both in time away from work and money) to do anything longer and a three night seemed too short, so we went with a four nighter. The ship is the Dream (which now I'm thrilled about), but could have been any as I haven't ever been. And, of course, I didn't even look at any other cruise lines. As a former CM and an AP, it was always going to be Disney

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
bsamps
Earning My Ears

Thanks to Disney's marketing, with their tv ads, we based our decision solely on our 8yr old begging us to take him on a Disney cruise. This will be our first cruise ever, so we really don't have anything to base it on.
bsamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
kiford
Mouseketeer

Sometimes port, sometimes time, sometimes ship. Disney because of good customer service and often paired with WDW.

Cruise 1: Bahamas - see if we liked cruising, 4 days to try out, timing
Cruise 2: Western Caribbean - ports
Cruise 3: Eastern Caribbean - ship, timing, ports
Cruise 4: Western Caribbean - timing, ship, ports
Cruise 5: Mediterranean - ports
Cruise 6/7: Bahamas B2B - ship
Cruise 8: Mediterranean - ports
future - depends on how I feel at the time.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Macmaro
Mouseketeer

I have yet to enjoy a single port other than Castaway Cay so it is usually price, dates, and departure port.
Macmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

We need to leave from Galveston bc it is only a few hrs drive from us. Out second consideration was date. Where boat goes doesnt matter to us.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
hgon76
DIS Veteran

We did Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 1st just because we never cruised & the week we wanted happened to be Eastern. Loved it. Did Eastern on Magic again 2nd time. Loved it. Did Western 3rd time for 2 reasons, Spring vacation week for kids & the Brand new Fantasy. Doing Southern out of San Juan in 2014 just for the ports. I loved the Eastern ports, would do it again. Wasn't crazy about the Western ports. But I ultimately would like to see different places. Hoping Disney keeps offering different itineraries. Even just different Caribbean islands would be great!

hgon76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: