Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
eyenerd
Mouseketeer

7 night med-help decide b/t June or August

I am deciding between the June 7th sailing or the mid August one.

I originally wanted to do june since i hear that all of Europe vacations in August.

However, dd will probably miss the last 1-1.5 weeks of kindergarten if we do this. We live in PA, and it doesn't seem like anything that important is going on at this time and a teacher friend told me we can write it up as an educational learning experience. So i am not really worried about school (they only go 2.5 hrs a day)

However, it would make it easier if i didn't have to deal with it.

Will flight prices be much different b/t june and august? Any pros/cons of one over the other? thanks for your input!!!
eyenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
peterpanstout
Mouseketeer

We did a Med cruise in August and I will never do it again. It was crazy hot. Also, there seems to be twice as many cruises, so you may have 4-5 other boats that dock with you. We did one in May and it was fantastic! Beautiful weather and not to crowded....just my two cents.

Hope you have an amazing time!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

July and August are more crowded and more HOT. It's true Europeans are on summer holiday starting in July.

Flights will probably not be too much different (those raise in June).

We went in July 2011 and plan to go in June this summer. I hope the crowds are lower and that heat! My kids will not miss school though, we get out end of May. But IMO, missing Kindergarten isn't a big deal.

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
eyenerd
Mouseketeer

We did one in the end of may, and we really enjoyed it. I would even be tempted to do the one that is the 31st, but i figured that may get a little more complicated with school (i hate to take her out for 2 weeks, and then send her for 1 and then she is out for the summer). I feel like then she might miss something.

I know on the schedule for this year, that week is exam week. I don't think she even has exams in KG. Or she can take them beforehand.

Thanks for your input!!! It makes pulling the trigger on june a little easier
eyenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

I agree with PP's. The late summer is very hot and the June cruises are usually lower in price (as well as airfare). We are going on the Med June 8 of this year and found it easier to get a hotel, etc.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
neenslovesdisney
Mouseketeer

We did a late August one a few years back and loved it. Flight prices were reasonable and there were plenty of upgrades available at the port. We have another one booked at the end of August this year. HTH.
neenslovesdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

flight prices are so high that I don't think there will be difference between June and August. Both months will be really HOT with many cruise ships in the Med.
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
pillow
DIS Veteran

I would do June. Its blazing hot in August. Also, you have a better chance of cheaper airfare in June. We did the med in mid June, 2007. We had a couple of really hot days, but for the most part, the weather was very nice.

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: