Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
My DH and I could not agree more. The newfangled show with the giant expanding earth does nothing for us.
I wondered why I thought Illuminations was cool in my early 30s but thought it was lame when we took our DD to see it many years later. I never knew that they changed the show and it wasn't the same one I had loved all those years ago.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
HuskerFaninIL
DIS Veteran

When we ate at CRT our DD's had the same steak dish we had. Did they change it?

HuskerFaninIL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
starjazz
Mouseketeer

At kids prices, our kids were offered nuggets or pizza. My 2 yo was not offered anything.
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
Jubilee
<3 my kids

I think your complaints are pretty well founded. Unfortunately, Illuminations has changed. As for kids meals, I agree that I don't normally feed my kids food like that on a regular basis, so we find ourselves needing to know where to go for other options....
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
2binak
DVC Owner

Our DD eats a large variety of foods at WDW. She's not a big fan of chicken nuggets, pizza or PB&J and even if she was, we wouldn't want her eating that stuff all week long so I look over the menus on allearsnet before each trip to find places that serve a good variety of meals & snacks. Then when we're in a park & starting to get hungry, we can make our way to one of the places that offers something different instead of just walking into whichever place is closest and ending up with the same meals over & over.

As for the water, we've always found the taste really bad so we use a filtered water bottle while in the parks.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post
At kids prices, our kids were offered nuggets or pizza. My 2 yo was not offered anything.
If you want food for your two year old, you have to purchase it. Unless you are at a buffet and then you can get what you like for your two year old. Disney has no obligation to feed your two year old for free.

I found this for Kids' meals at CRT for lunch an dinner:
Kid's Picks

Appetizers
(Pick One)
Bite-sized Cheddar
Cheese and Grapes
Garden Salad with Ranch Dressing

Entrees
(Pick One)
Cheese Pizza
Chicken Nuggets

Desserts
(Pick One)
Decorate Your Own Dessert - Choice of: Frosted Cupcake or Vanilla Ice Cream
Yogurt Parfait
Sliced Apples
No Sugar Added Raspberry Sorbet

Beverages
(Pick One)
Small Bottled Water
100% Apple Juice
1% Milk

Kid's Whole Meals

For a Nutritionally and Well-balanced offering, Kids Complete Meals below are available. These meals include an entree, a vegetable/side, a dessert and a choice of one (1) beverage listed above.

Beef Tenderloin - served with Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans and a Yogurt Parfait

Turkey Pot Pie - topped with a Cheese Biscuit and served with a Yogurt Parfait

Roasted Chicken Leg - served with Whole-Grain Pilaf, Broccolini, and Sliced Apples

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #22
starjazz
Mouseketeer

True - I wouldnt expect anything for free and it wasnt a big deal...we gave her food from our plates, so the 2 yo didnt starve or anything. But buying food wasnt presented as an option.

And yes, the pizza did come with a bowl of grapes, and a cupcake that she adored, but the main course options were pizza or nuggets. She was not given another choice...certainly not any of the fancy things you listed above.

But I'll freely admit, maybe it was our fault for not knowing any better than what the server offered.

Either way, not a huge problem as i mentioned. I just thought for $30 or whatever it was for her meal, there might be better choices than the Golden Oak had to offer.

Anywho, it was just an example. We loved CRT overall for sure. My meal was great and the princeses and atmosphere were wonderful.
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Yeah - the food choices can be kind of limited for the kiddos. We actually don't mind letting the kids go a little crazy on nuggets & pizza on vacation but even they get sick of it & start looking for other options.

At 13, my niece is pretty much ordering off regular menus now anyway, but she's the Burger Queen so . For DD8 I generally order a larger meal or a meal + appetizer to split with her. She also loves soup & sandwiches so we found those choices pretty available in a lot of places.

Fl water definitely takes some getting used to, yuck.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have to say that after a week with 10 of us in two cabins including 3 under 5 yo, I am thoroughly impressed by Disney. The customer service we experienced was second to none. They really do make it feel magical and we had an AWESOME trip.

My only three complaints were as follows from least important to most significant:

1. We found it tough to find much for kids other than chicken nuggets, and generally the food options werent very good. Maybe we needed to look harder.

2. What happened to Illuminations? I remembered this being a great show with tons of cool laser light effects and dancing lights on each country's building, projections on water sprays, etc. It was mot worth waiting for 9:30 to see in my opinion.

3. Worst off all...whats with the horrible poo water coming out of the tap down there? Blech!

Caveat=minor complaints on an overall fantastic time 2/5-2/12.
Did you even look at the BOG children's menu? Very good options!
Also Sunshine seasons comes to mind - even I had a child's dinner there one day - wasn't *traditonal* kiddie food either.

There are so many people who complain that restaurants do not have enough dumbed down kiddie food. Then there are those that say *all* they can find is kiddie food - Disney just can't win, or please all the mommies. Just need to look at the menus, then you'll see there are options.

As for the water, I do not drink from the taps or fountains. It might not taste the best, but there are more unsanitary reasons why we won't touch it. Go to any CS and you can get *free* filtered ice water.

On a trip like that, glad that was your only complaints
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
I have to say that after a week with 10 of us in two cabins including 3 under 5 yo, I am thoroughly impressed by Disney. The customer service we experienced was second to none. They really do make it feel magical and we had an AWESOME trip.

My only three complaints were as follows from least important to most significant:

1. We found it tough to find much for kids other than chicken nuggets, and generally the food options werent very good. Maybe we needed to look harder.

2. What happened to Illuminations? I remembered this being a great show with tons of cool laser light effects and dancing lights on each country's building, projections on water sprays, etc. It was mot worth waiting for 9:30 to see in my opinion.

3. Worst off all...whats with the horrible poo water coming out of the tap down there? Blech!

Caveat=minor complaints on an overall fantastic time 2/5-2/12.

We always buy jugs of water to have in the room with disposable cups (cheap at the DVC stores, or Publix or the Hess Stations), and individual bottled water to have at the parks. Though the water we get at CS and TS meals don't bother us- maybe it's filtered??
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #26
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Goodness, the OP was just commenting on a few small things. It sounds like the trip was pretty good overall.

I will agree with the Illuminations comments. I still like it but it sure isn't what it used to be!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

I think my 2 had nuggets once the whole time we were there
Like others have said maybe check into the menus before you go next time?? Columbia House has a tuna fish sandwich on the whole wheat fish bun that my DD loved
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise W View Post
Actually, it is a clarinet in Rhapsody in Blue, not an oboe! (I am an oboist)

Denise
Duh! But I'm a trombonist LOL. I should have known that!

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
mydisneykids
DIS Veteran

I have to agree about the kids offerings.
Mine are 20, 16 and 12 now so well out of the kids meal ages. But the kids meal choices kept us from purchasing the dining plans for many trips. There is no way they would want to eat pb&j or chicken nuggets every meal. Once or twice over the week they liked it but they would have much rather had an adult option minus the sauces/gravies. We so often would get an adult meal and let them share it, or get one for themselves and bring the leftovers back to the villa.
I do see they do have a few more kids options now but there is still progress I feel could be made.
mydisneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #30
mickeyway
Mouseketeer

Don't drink the water from the tap! It smells and tastes bad.

Yes kid menus are pretty limited but I have noticed Disney trying to upgrade it and they have gone overboard with too fancy options. Best bet go to a food court. I know the value resorts have a pretty good variety. My DD ate hot dogs, french fries, and dip dip (ketchup) everyday one vacation!
Wilderness Lodge 10,08,06,04
mickeyway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: