Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

I'm upset about this too. Although I haven't done a segway tour, I really wanted to.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Denise W
Boardwalk DVC Member

The one at Fort Wilderness is just as good. We loved it and have done both.

Denise
Denise W is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member

So curious as to the status of the Segway Tours in EPCOT........???

We did one last year and it was the highlight of our trip. Was hoping to do another one in September.

For those who have done both the EPCOT and Fort Wilderness tours, which do you prefer and why?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas
LJD2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD2143
So curious as to the status of the Segway Tours in EPCOT........???

We did one last year and it was the highlight of our trip. Was hoping to do another one in September.

For those who have done both the EPCOT and Fort Wilderness tours, which do you prefer and why?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Is hard to decide. It was cool to visit WS before rope drop, but the FW tour was a more fun ride. Also, the FW tour can be done on a non-park day.

Last edited by dadddio; 02-14-2013 at 10:28 PM.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissed4 View Post
Strange! We were there last Thursday and did see a woman crash her Segway into a curb and took a pretty bad fall. I wonder how often people get hurt?
If I remember correctly, there are papers to sign before you take the tour and I'm guessing there's a hold harmless thing in there.

We did the WS tour years ago and DH crashed his Segway. The CMs were more worried about him being hurt (he wasn't - which is why I can laugh about him falling off the thing now) but I was worried about the damage to the Segway.

I wonder if they are just updating the Segways and just haven't gotten all the new machines yet?

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
nickih75
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacter View Post
Well, we just rebooked on the Fort Wilderness All-Terrain Segway Tour, which they were still able to book. As for the Epcot tour, they're on the back-side of refunding all the paid reservations and there are no bookings allowed until further notice. Can't say it's a permanent thing, but definitely a downer for now.

On the bright side, with the Fort Wilderness tour, our one-day visit might no longer require the park hopper option! We will see if we only need MK now (wife has to chime in on this decision).
Hey all, I'm "the wife" and seeing as it's my birthday trip I was super bummed about the segway tour getting the ax.. We will however be going to both parks.. LOL he's not getting off that easy!
nickih75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #22
Phdmama06
DIS Veteran

Huh, interesting. The tours always looked like a lot of fun. Hopefully they come back!
Phdmama06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I don't believe so. Prior to the bakery openeing, the International Gateway still admitted guests. The segway tour dealt with that by mostly sticking to the other side of WS. When the tour crossed the areas that were open to guests, CMs would control traffic so that the tour didn't get closs to pedestrian traffic.
We were just there in Dec. at Epcot when a tour came through the area in front of the land and there was *no one* to stop the pedestrian traffic. The lead sort of opened the way, and we all sort of just stopped until they had all passed through. There was about 8-10 of them. Seemed sort of dangerous to us
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
jane2073
DIS Veteran

I was at Epcot in the afternoon just three days ago and saw the same thing. In fact the CM member made a joke about getting in the way of people getting passes for Soarin'.

(Of course the jokes on him! Fast passes were long gone by that point.)
jane2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
We were just there in Dec. at Epcot when a tour came through the area in front of the land and there was *no one* to stop the pedestrian traffic. The lead sort of opened the way, and we all sort of just stopped until they had all passed through. There was about 8-10 of them. Seemed sort of dangerous to us
2 friends & myself took the tour last April. Our time was 8:00 and after our training, FW was still pretty empty at 9:00 and WS was closed. But as we approached the return in FW around 10:00, it was crowded and it was a little scary, people walked right in front of us.

It will be interesting to find out the reason for the abrupt cancellations. I suspect liability or some kind of defect in the Segways.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #26
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB

2 friends & myself took the tour last April. Our time was 8:00 and after our training, FW was still pretty empty at 9:00 and WS was closed. But as we approached the return in FW around 10:00, it was crowded and it was a little scary, people walked right in front of us.

It will be interesting to find out the reason for the abrupt cancellations. I suspect liability or some kind of defect in the Segways.
I wonder if those Segways are even owned by Disney and the tours were ended due to some sort of contract renegotiation. Also, I wonder if it has anything to do with the lawsuit to allow guests to drive personal Segways in the parks.

Last edited by dadddio; 02-14-2013 at 10:53 PM.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #27
corneredbycorn
Mouseketeer

I literally just asked a question on these boards about when to book the tour for May. :-/

corneredbycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
Sammi the Chihuahua
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have any updates on the cancelled Segway tour? We were planning on doing this on our next vacation.
Sammi the Chihuahua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #29
corneredbycorn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi the Chihuahua
Does anyone have any updates on the cancelled Segway tour? We were planning on doing this on our next vacation.
No official word yet, but the info page on their website is now a 404 error so it's not looking good.

corneredbycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Bummer, I plan, God laughs.

I am trying to plan different things to do and we were booked for April. I have not received any notice.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: