Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #196
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
I know this came from a CM that should know the reason but is there anyone around here that knows what the ADA really says about this.

This reason just doesn't sound right somehow, yes its a CM but they always don't get correct info and try to fill in the gaps with something they think they heard.

I'm not saying it isn't the reason, just wondering what the limits are to the ADA.
That doesn't sound like the reason because it doesn't make sense (although, I am sure the CM did say that).
I'm on my iPhone, so it's to hard to find a link, but the 2002 guidelines were revised and went into effect March 2012. But, they still did not require EVERYTHING be accessible. Some things are just not possible to be made accessible.

The ADA doesn't require everything to be made accessible or to close if they are not accessible. The terms are 'reasonable accommodation' and something is not required to be made accessible if it changes the 'nature' of the attraction.
And, there is a 'loophole' for vehicles that the person will be controlling themself on the attraction - this includes things like bumper cars and cars (like on Tomorrowland Speedway).
In that case, all that is needed is an accessible path to get to the attraction - that was already the case since the building the tour started in was accessible.

For example, Tom Sawyer's Island, Peoplemover, Peter Pan and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse require that a guest is ambulatory to experience the attraction.
And, there is now a wheelchair accessible Jungle Cruise boat, but the cruise stayed open while they were developing the accessible boat.
They have also recently added ADA ride cars with wider openings to many attractions. They didn't close anything while they developed them.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 04-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #197
slacter
Earning My Ears

If this activity was included with admission, the handicap accessible thing might have merit. Since we have to pay extra for he activity, anyone who could not participate would not be spending money on it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #198
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
That doesn't sound like the reason because it doesn't make sense (although, I am sure the CM did say that).
I'm on my iPhone, so it's to hard to find a link, but the 2002 guidelines were revised and went into effect March 2012. But, they still did not require EVERYTHING be accessible. Some things are just not possible to be made accessible.

The ADA doesn't require everything to be made accessible or to close if they are not accessible. The terms are 'reasonable accommodation' and something is not required to be made accessible if it changes the 'nature' of the attraction.
And, there is a 'loophole' for vehicles that the person will be controlling themself on the attraction - this includes things like bumper cars and cars (like on Tomorrowland Speedway).
In that case, all that is needed is an accessible path to get to the attraction - that was already the case since the building the tour started in was accessible.

For example, Tom Sawyer's Island, Peoplemover, Peter Pan and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse require that a guest is ambulatory to experience the attraction.
And, there is now a wheelchair accessible Jungle Cruise boat, but the cruise stayed open while they were developing the accessible boat.
They have also recently added ADA ride cars with wider openings to many attractions. They didn't close anything while they developed them.
I knew there was something about reason in there and everything can't be made totally accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
IF that is the reason, then I tend to agree with you. Segways are, by their very nature, stand-up devices which will naturally preclude some people with certain disabilities from taking part. There are some things that no amount of anti-discrimination laws can reasonably change, however much it would be wonderful if they could.

That's not to say that they couldn't run a similar Epcot/World Showcase tour for wheelchair-bound guests using ECVs for example, but it just wouldn't be a "Segway Tour".

Andre
They could just rename the tour and include ECVs. Is standing up really that important?

I thought the Segways are a neat thing but mostly used to get around quickly something that ECVs already do.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #199
MellinMickey4333
Earning My Ears

As DH and I were saying last night... aren't Segways just taller ECV's? It's unfortunate when those who have disabilities have to miss out, but in this case... why not just let the other wheeled vehicles join the group? But to have to build a special Segway just for this tour? **.

And this isn't a ride... it's a tour! I once went on a Walking Tour of Europe, and the tour said it was mainly long days of walking, and we had a few in the group who couldn't keep up. If they had a Segway or an ECV, it sure would have made a difference!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #200
MellinMickey4333
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellinMickey4333
As DH and I were saying last night... aren't Segways just taller ECV's? It's unfortunate when those who have disabilities have to miss out, but in this case... why not just let the other wheeled vehicles join the group? But to have to build a special Segway just for this tour? **.

And this isn't a ride... it's a tour! I once went on a Walking Tour of Europe, and the tour said it was mainly long days of walking, and we had a few in the group who couldn't keep up. If they had a Segway or an ECV, it sure would have made a difference!
I don't know where those double stars came from... ? Lol
Old 04-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #201
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellinMickey4333 View Post

No, they have only 2 wheels. ECVs has 3 or 4 wheels and will stay standing up when the rider gets off

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #202
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
No, they have only 2 wheels. ECVs has 3 or 4 wheels and will stay standing up when the rider gets off
But in this case they are being used in the same manner. An easy way to get around.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #203
MellinMickey4333
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

But in this case they are being used in the same manner. An easy way to get around.
Lol, that's what we meant. Use-wise, not parts-wise.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #204
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
True.
But the driver needs to have some abilities to use a Segway that they don't need with an ECV.
Segways were not designed to be used by people with disabilities - some have found them useful for getting around with their specific disability, but they are not accessible for others.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #205
Embraer
Mouseketeer

This has gone awfully quite. Are people still finding that they're being cancelled. I've got a booking for August and wonder whether it's just best to cancel and plan my day better now rather than pick up the pieces closer to the time
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #206
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

So, are they considering it a "ride" only because it's in a themepark? I ask because the Segway Tour at Ft. Wilderness is still operating so what is the difference, other than it is obviously not in a themepark?

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #207
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
So, are they considering it a "ride" only because it's in a themepark? I ask because the Segway Tour at Ft. Wilderness is still operating so what is the difference, other than it is obviously not in a themepark?
I guess you are referring to the post above where its an ADA thing. I'm still not sure if this is accurate. Not accusing anyone of anything, but it sounds too much like a my brother in laws cousin who is a CM at POP heard this was the reason kind of thing.

The biggest bit of confusion concerning this is that there is no official reason or even a time frame from Disney.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #208
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
I guess you are referring to the post above where its an ADA thing. I'm still not sure if this is accurate. Not accusing anyone of anything, but it sounds too much like a my brother in laws cousin who is a CM at POP heard this was the reason kind of thing.

The biggest bit of confusion concerning this is that there is no official reason or even a time frame from Disney.
Yes, I should have been more clear about that. And I agree with you, I'm not convinced that is the real reason.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #209
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
WOW! Great information, OhMari! This is the first time we've heard any form of an explanation -- and it makes sense too! Thanks for sharing!
I read many of the post after, and I was really afraid to say anything. I am the last person that would know any legalities for the Disabled. Thank you SueMN for looking up all that information and explaining.

They have a picture of a Segway being built for people that cannot stand. You basically sit on it and it looks sort of like a small bike, but in a Segway design. I really didn't realize I was finding information about the Segway Tour from "Behind the Scenes Tour."

If your tour gets cancelled, I really recommend this tour. It doesn't last as long as "Keys to the Kingdom" at the MK and you get no get no lunch. We took a 15 minute break in the Land Pavillion and I quickly went and got Soarin Fast passes. Our Tour guide took us to the back door for Soarin. Soarin went down, just as we were suppose to get on and our guide gave us a Free Fast Pass for up to 5 people and VIP seating in Italy for Illuminations. We used our Fast Passes for Test Track and asked 3 other people to come in with us. They were surprised.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #210
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
Yep, Fort Wilderness is not a Theme Park. That is exactly how it was stated to us.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: