Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Carnival Cruise ship question

I've been following the story about the disabled cruise ship that is being towed to AL and I don't understand something.

Why can't they offload the passengers onto smaller boats and get them to safety and let the boat be towed empty?

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

I was wondering the same thing. Two different cruise ships plus Coast Guard have come to bring supplies and lend support. Why not just get a ship there to transport everyone?
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

I told my husband the responsible thing to do would have been to cancel an outgoing cruise and go pick those people up! Yes it would be an inconvenience and yes it would cost them money, but how do they think all this negative press is going to effect their bottom line?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
lawrenceFletcher
No longer renting points

I dont think that is physically possible. The cruise ship would appear as if were stationary due to its size but the smaller ship alongside would bob up and down /left and right 10feet. The plank unloading them would be a wild ride!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Couldn't they load the people onto life boats and float them out to some sort of rescue boat? Surely there's a military vessel somewhere in the vicinity.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
Couldn't they load the people onto life boats and float them out to some sort of rescue boat? Surely there's a military vessel somewhere in the vicinity.
There are over 3,000 people on board the Triumph. I read somewhere that is much easier to get them off the ship on lifeboats than it is to get them off a lifeboat onto a ship. If you think about it...how would they get them on the other ship? Can't lower the gang plank. I think they'd have to lift them on one at a time.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
A carnival company guy ( who may or may not be a hack) just said it was for passenger safety on CNN. Apparently the boat can now see land but it might be another 8 to 10 hours before it docks because the boat is being pushed and pulled at 1 mile an hour.

When we disembarked the gangplank is to a stable concrete structure, where the ship is in standing water and lashed to the pier with what seemed like an inordinate amount of 6inch diameter ropes. My understanding is that the carnival ship is also " leaning" somewhat due to the wind. Getting something to safely and quickly move 3000 people from one propulsion impaired and potentially listing ship to another is not something I think any line would have a contingency for or would even attempt.

It is clear that Carnival is going to get sued by someone, right now although it is unpleasant it seems that those with health problems were already moved and this is a matter of inconvenience. If carnival tried this ship to ship transfer and, god forbid, something happened to the gangplank and it dumped passesngers into the bay between the two ships and some drowned, it would likely be the end of carnival cruise lines as anyone know it.
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanman View Post
A carnival company guy ( who may or may not be a hack) just said it was for passenger safety on CNN. Apparently the boat can now see land but it might be another 8 to 10 hours before it docks because the boat is being pushed and pulled at 1 mile an hour.

When we disembarked the gangplank is to a stable concrete structure, where the ship is in standing water and lashed to the pier with what seemed like an inordinate amount of 6inch diameter ropes. My understanding is that the carnival ship is also " leaning" somewhat due to the wind. Getting something to safely and quickly move 3000 people from one propulsion impaired and potentially listing ship to another is not something I think any line would have a contingency for or would even attempt.

It is clear that Carnival is going to get sued by someone, right now although it is unpleasant it seems that those with health problems were already moved and this is a matter of inconvenience. If carnival tried this ship to ship transfer and, god forbid, something happened to the gangplank and it dumped passesngers into the bay between the two ships and some drowned, it would likely be the end of carnival cruise lines as anyone know it.
How did they get the food & other supplies from ship to ship? (Although, obviously, that's WAY easier than moving people.)

And the ship isn't attached to a pier when they tender people to shore & back.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
How did they get the food & other supplies from ship to ship? (Although, obviously, that's WAY easier than moving people.)

Sayhello
I think moving people would be a lot easier than palettes or handtrucks full of provisions.

Good point about the tenders although that is done close to shore, not out in the middle of the ocean. It may be tougher to anchor and secure the ship that way.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

Sayhello
You dump 10 000 kgs of baloney sandwiches in the the water and that's too bad. You dump little johnny and its another kettle of fish. My understanding is that they did move some passengers ship to ship and a helicopter took someone off the ship today but I'm not sure that is feasible for 3000 people, so it might be a matter of scale.

On tenders the ship is always powered and genrally not listing and I assume is anchored in some manner ( although this is just my assumption) Also the tenders dont usually have to get everyone off the ship at once. as unpleasant as it is, it might be faster as is almost certainly safer, to wait it out, tie the ship down tight and let people walk off the ship the way things were designed. right now what happened is a travesty, if someone dies based on some untried method to get people off the boat it becomes a tradjedy.

In the cruise forum there are people with a whole lot more knowledge than I.
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

Being medically challenged I love cruising because it provides me a great vacation that can accommodate my issues. When I hear about this situation I realize what a nightmare this would be for everyone on board but especially for people like me. This is certainly something I fear. Luckily this doesn't happen very often and I am hoping it never happens to me.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I've been following the story about the disabled cruise ship that is being towed to AL and I don't understand something.

Why can't they offload the passengers onto smaller boats and get them to safety and let the boat be towed empty?
Cost and liability.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: