Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
ohionola
Mouseketeer

Call me crazy, Animal Kingdom

Donít get me wrong, I am having a great time and love the resort but I am a little disappointed on the animals in the savannah. We have been at the room in the mornings, evenings, and even midday. Other than a few birds, we have not seen more than 2 or 3 animals in the savannah total (all have been these goat looking things). I am not sure what I expected, but I thought there would be a little more. We would stay at AK again in a heartbeat but I canít say I would pay extra for a savannah view. Is this normal or are there usually more animals?
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
mya12347
Earning My Ears

We just came back 2 weeks ago, and our view was amazing!!!!! Around 5pm they feed the animals so you have more chance to watch them. Our stay was amazing!!!! I don't know how to upload a picture . Have a wonderful vacations!
mya12347 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
kapoof
DIS Veteran

what savannah were you on? the sunset one is pretty bad for viewing animals.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

It's what turned us off to AK, and I get crucified for saying it.... Savannah view, right side from lobby, way down a wing..... For 3 days, all we saw, was a stork, 1 long horned steer, some small deer far away and one giraffe at feeding time... Other than that it was a dirty, mud strewn field.... Not pleasant to sit nor look at from the balcony .... We couldn't get out of there and never to return!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We didn't even have a Savannah view but we saw tons of animals. We enjoyed going out to the viewing areas each evening.

We liked the overall resort too though. We weren't there just for the animals.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
It's what turned us off to AK, and I get crucified for saying it.... Savannah view, right side from lobby, way down a wing..... For 3 days, all we saw, was a stork, 1 long horned steer, some small deer far away and one giraffe at feeding time... Other than that it was a dirty, mud strewn field.... Not pleasant to sit nor look at from the balcony .... We couldn't get out of there and never to return!
ita that viewing area is horrible..plus there is a strange smell coming from there.
i really enjoyed the arusha savannah and the rest of the resort however.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

We stayed at AKL in a standard room they upgraded us to a savannah view free of charge. It wasn't the best view of the savannah. But I wasn't going to complain I was just happy to have a savannah view.

We didn't see any zebra or giraffes in our area. Only a antelope and birds. I think the animals u see depend on which part of the savannah you are staying in. But we went to the viewing areas to see the other animals.

AKL was the first on site resort we ever stayed at as a family. I loved everything about the resort. I loved all the extras. Our second stay was POR and please no flames it just didn't measure up in my opinion. It was beyond beautiful. But I missed the feel of AKL.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
We had lot of animals when we stayed down that way. We were almost to the end of the hall. We always had 3 giraffe-Huey, Dewey & Louie. those really pretty big bull like ones with the big horns. Plus some others. Maybe they move the animals around.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Last month we had a Sunset savanna view room on Kudu Trail on the wing where the elevator is located. Had a great view of Kidani and saw almost all of the animals: 4 giraffes, 6 zebras, a variety or birds and ostriches, all of the horned animals and antelope-like ones too. The people across the hall from us had only seen birds. We did notice that AKL changes the feeding locations to keep the animals moving and rotating through.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

When we stayed there last, we were on Zebra trail, near the outer end. We never failed to see several different species of animals- cattle, kudu, zebra, giraffes, different antelope or gazelles, storks and cranes of various kinds. And the grounds certainly weren't a muddy mess. We were actually quite impressed by how good the savannah looked, given the number of animals that were always present. Perhaps you were just unlucky. Sucks, but it happens.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Heather1979
Mouseketeer

When we were there last year we stayed in Jambo, to the back, make a right (right near that indoor fire pit) past the pool on the right. We never saw zebras or giraffes from our savannah view, but we saw lots of (forgive me I can't remember what they were called there) goats, cow/bull critters, & lots of birds, most of the time when we saw animals it was at night after dark. I thought it was really cool to sit out on the balcony with a little wine and see who came to party with us.

If I were just discussing what I saw during the day I would've been a little disappointed, because the animals made themselves scarce during the day.

Off site 1987, 1998, & 2003, Pop century 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012, Bay Lake Tower 2013
Heather1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
disneyag
DIS Veteran

Wow, I have pics of giraffe, zebras, and ankole cattle from our several visits to AKL..No matter what time of day, something was always out there.

June 2014 AKL June 2013 Poly
June 2011 Poly CL June 2010 Poly
June 2009 AKL CL Dec 2007 WL CL
Oct 2006 Poly June 2006 CR
June 2005 AKL Oct 2004 WL
June 2004 AKL June 2002 Poly
Sept. 2001 Poly CL June 1999 Poly
1997 BC
1992 BC
1974 Poly
disneyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Missytara
I'm all ears!

My friend spent her Disneymoon there; they were right where the animals were let in on the savannah every morning and taken out every night.

Their ritual every morning was to make a pot of coffee and sit out on the balcony and watch them bring the animals in every morning. They had some fantastic pics!

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
KatMark
DIS Veteran

When we stayed there in 2011, we saw giraffes every day--morning and night, zebras, the cow looking things with horns (sorry...forgot their names) and many other animals. I can't wait to stay there again in 2014.

RIP Genie
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

That's bizarre. There's always lots of animals out. Go talk to one of the guides or ask the concierge. They can tell you when to look where, because there's a definite schedule. E.g. when the bell rings (which happens at fixed times) all the animals know to go to the pens.

During the day, all the animals should be out.
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: