Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #46
dwaters
Mouseketeer

This is enough to make anyone's head spin!

We'll just have to wait and see how it all works.

Count me in as being against making more Fastpasses available to those in deluxes. Keep the perks at the resorts themselves.
dwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #47
rluey29
Wish I was in Disney, Hooray, Hooray!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus181920 View Post
One of my biggest worries with FP+ (and then the eventual phasing out of regular FP)

I presume standby lines for e-tickets will actually be longer because people wont have the option to get multiple fp's in one day for whatever ride they want.

So, the only way to have any chance to ride e-tickets more than once on a trip would be to make it to rope drop. With that said, I could actually see rd getting busier.
This is what I have thought all along. More people will be running to get in the standby lines so they can ride their favorites more than once. I am very worried that our favorite place will not be the great place it was.
2009 Pop Century
2010 Off-site (June)
2010 Were moving to Florida!!! (August)
2010-present living about 35 minutes from Disney! (every weekend)
2011-first time camping at Fort Wilderness!!!
rluey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #48
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Even as someone who's been able to stay at Saratoga Springs, I can't say I'm crazy about special/additional FP+'s being available just for Deluxes. But I can't say I'm surprised. I must admit I pay extra for SSR because I like (well, in my family's case, I need) the bigger-than-hotel-room facility it offers. Aside from transportation to the parks, I don't expect *in park* treatment different from anyone else staying on any Disney property. The defacto "caste system" has been on-property versus off-property. That makes sense. You create incentives for people to stay on-property. But punishing the folks who stay at an on-site All Star rather than the Grand Floridian? Man, that just doesn't feel right. Mind you, its Disneys parks, and they can do what they want. But somehow that idea just doesn't pass the sniff test. Work that hard to create an even more fine-grained distinction between guests staying on property really sets off alarm bells in the back of my head.

WDW, over the last several years, has tried to extend the "virtual perimeter" of the parks *out*, such that it's less about MK, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, etc. as it is the broader "WDW Resort" experience. To an extent, I think Disney has been laying the groundwork for making the parks almost ancillary in the "Resort" experience by virtue of the "resort" moniker being plastered everywhere. That is, the "resort" stay starts when you check in to the hotel, not when you enter a park. Not saying I agree with it from a virtue or moral perspective. If you view it from that vein, then the idea of increasing the perks as you increase the "value" of the hotel, it suddenly makes more sense.

But here's a broader problem that may play out. Lots of folks are meticulous planners. But lots of folks aren't. If it truly becomes the norm that folks not merely need to reserve restaurants months in advance, but individual rides,, I can't help but think that's just going to turn at least some folks completely off. As in, "good grief, its a vacation, not a programmed sprint." And this whole extended patent notion Disney is fostering sounds like *precisely* that. Plan your day from the moment you wake up until you go to sleep.

Yuck.

At some point, folks are going to start asking "Yeah, its Disney, but is the hassle factor *really* worth it?" Could just spend some days on the beach at Clearwater....

I think we're going to see EMH go away, and FP+ added as the "perk" for staying on property, with the option to purchase "additional" FP+ passes.

Yuck.

If Disney gives priority ordering and organization to FP+ for all its "e-ticket" rides, at some point the notion of a stand-by line will become a joke - you could be ten people from the ride for two hours while endless trains of FP+ holders are constantly running in front of you. And those could be folks staying on-property. It may be a way to maximize profits, but man, I sure don't think Walt would like it. I don't think he'd be keen on the notion of paying for the privilege of not standing in line. I don't think he intended to create a caste system within his own parks. I could be wrong, but it doesn't *seem* very, well, Disneyesque.

What's a frustrating short-term concern for me is our plan for a return visit this summer - mid June - and I have no idea if or how I should strategize FP+ (if at all) when my 60-day window hits. Is this supposed to be completely deployed by then? If I'm not at DHS by rope-drop, can I just kiss the idea of TSM, Soarin', or TestTrack goodbye for the week I'm there? Good grief, those rides are part of why I'm going. Heck, I don't know what rides are FP+ and which ones aren't, which ones are hooked up, which ones aren't, or even which resorts are converted (room locks, etc) and which ones aren't.

I realize change is inevitable, and maximizing profit is what Disney is all about, but somehow all this just percolates bad vibes all the way around. Maybe things will all settle out, but right now the negative instincts are outweighing the good.

Guess we'll see. If someone can address my concerns I mentioned above, I'd appreciate it.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #49
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

I love this community and the friendships, knowledge and debate is spurs, but I have to say IMHO there is a lot of overreaction here. We all know Disney does two things very well, maximize profits and foster a great guest experience.

First, the easy one...maximizing profit - less waiting in line means more purchases of food and merch. We all know that. But sorry to say, most likely this will mean pay more for your room, get more FASTPASSes.

And then, a great guest experience - guest satisfaction, guest retention, repeat visits. That is the business of Disney theme parks. It is forefront in every decision that is made operationally. Every business person who provides a service or product understands retaining a guest/customer is far less expensive than attracting a new guest/customer.

Sorry to pull the Walt card, but he knew it from the very beginning.."We’ve always got to give ‘em a little more. It’ll be worth the investment. If they ever stop coming, it’ll cost 10 times that much to get ‘em back."

Disney isn't going to do anything to jeopardize the guest experience by making it difficult to ride your favorite attraction. And they don't want us to wait any longer in queue than we will tolerate.

Less waiting in line and more attractions rode per day or visit equals a great guest experience.

As far as the first time, non-planner...Disney already mails a beautiful, full color, 6 page brochure to explain the dining plan and a 12 page packet explaining Magical Express to their future guests, so they'll have no problem including a letter explaining FASTPASS+.

So relax, opt out if you wish, continue to soak up the atmosphere and theming. It will all be OK.

Just be ready to shoot yourself after watching Stacey explaining FASTPASS+ on your resort room TV ad nauseum.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #50
pdarrah
It's nice to know you are real, too
It might have fallen off or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghmarc View Post
As far as the first time, non-planner...Disney already mails a beautiful, full color, 6 page brochure to explain the dining plan and a 12 page packet explaining Magical Express to their future guests, so they'll have no problem including a letter explaining FASTPASS+.
I guess they only send this to first time guests (or maybe only people on packages and not room-only reservations)? I have been visiting 1-3 times per year for 20 years and have NEVER received anything like this. Unless they send out the info explaining FP+ to ALL guests, it isn't really going to do the job - the first timers may end up knowing more than the long time repeat guests! LOL

The only thing I occasionally receive in the mail pre-trip is a "welcome" flyer from the resort we will be staying at (and not always, just for some resorts). It is usually just a folded cardstock flyer with info about the resort, maybe some "suggestions" of things to do based on the ages in our party, sometimes info about something relatively new at the parks. Definitely no info about Magical Express or the Dining Plans.
We usually visit 2 times per year (spring & fall)
DCL: Magic cruises: Oct 04, Oct 05, Jan 07, Aug 08, Oct 10, Fantasy Nov 12

pdarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #51
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love this community and the friendships, knowledge and debate is spurs, but I have to say IMHO there is a lot of overreaction here. We all know Disney does two things very well, maximize profits and foster a great guest experience.

First, the easy one...maximizing profit - less waiting in line means more purchases of food and merch. We all know that. But sorry to say, most likely this will mean pay more for your room, get more FASTPASSes.

And then, a great guest experience - guest satisfaction, guest retention, repeat visits. That is the business of Disney theme parks. It is forefront in every decision that is made operationally. Every business person who provides a service or product understands retaining a guest/customer is far less expensive than attracting a new guest/customer.

Sorry to pull the Walt card, but he knew it from the very beginning.."We’ve always got to give ‘em a little more. It’ll be worth the investment. If they ever stop coming, it’ll cost 10 times that much to get ‘em back."

Disney isn't going to do anything to jeopardize the guest experience by making it difficult to ride your favorite attraction. And they don't want us to wait any longer in queue than we will tolerate.

Less waiting in line and more attractions rode per day or visit equals a great guest experience.

So relax, opt out if you wish, continue to soak up the atmosphere and theming. It will all be OK.

Just be ready to shoot yourself after watching Stacey explaining FASTPASS+ on your resort room TV ad nauseum.
I think that might be a misconception. Opt out of what? The only opt out choice might be to stay home.

After everyone is on the magicband bracelet, there really won't be another system for FP. So would people just opt out of riding rides? Only use stand by? If you are staying on site, I think Disney will want everyone to at least use the magicband to get into their rooms and the park.

I know there is a button on the My Disney Experience to de-activate "special offers" so that would be easy to opt out (but then that person would lose all the bonus FP for the day).

So, I guess I could spend $450 per person and just walk around the park and enjoy the theming and ride the minor rides. It seems like a lot of money to just get in the parks. If that is the option, then the original plan of paying to get into the Magic Kingdom and paying for rides separately would make more sense.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #52
pittsburghmarc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarrah View Post
I guess they only send this to first time guests (or maybe only people on packages and not room-only reservations)?
You may be right. My family has only done packages with dining...free or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I think that might be a misconception. Opt out of what? The only opt out choice might be to stay home.
Do not take part in My Disney Experience. Simply go to the parks and tour/dine/shop as usual.

My guess is that the minority of guests will take part in My Disney Experience.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #53
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
My guess is that the minority of guests will take part in My Disney Experience.
Well, I don't know if that's true. I initially thought the entire idea was awful, but I'm coming around to the idea that we're going to have to do it if we don't want to ride everything standby and wait 2 hours for Soarin'. The real "losers" here are the locals, IMHO.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #54
scribega
Where's Perry??

Since a lot of this is speculation I will add some as well...

If I regularly stay at a deluxe (which I don't) and Disney decides to give deluxe guests extra perks such as more fast passes, I am not sure I would want that. Why? Because my guess is that these perks will cost me. My already expensive $400 a night room will jump to $440 (or so) since now I am getting extra stuff. Disney will not say you are paying extra for that stuff but you are. They know the demand might be there then they will increase those room rates.

Value gets 3 fast passes, moderate gets 4 and deluxe gets 5. Lets see if we can nudge people up a level by dangling this perk in front of them. If they can increase their capacity at the deluxe and moderate resorts then their investment starts paying off.
CBR - Oct. 2008
POP - Dec. 2009 - free dining
POP - March 2010 - quick biz trip
POP - Sept. 2010 - free dining
POP - Sept. 2011 - free dining
Disney Dream - Sept / POP - Sept. 2012 - free dining
-----
DISdad member #633
scribega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #55
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribega View Post
Since a lot of this is speculation I will add some as well...

If I regularly stay at a deluxe (which I don't) and Disney decides to give deluxe guests extra perks such as more fast passes, I am not sure I would want that. Why? Because my guess is that these perks will cost me. My already expensive $400 a night room will jump to $440 (or so) since now I am getting extra stuff. Disney will not say you are paying extra for that stuff but you are. They know the demand might be there then they will increase those room rates.
I don't think Disney would raise prices for this - at least not right away. If they do this, this is to entice people to book Deluxe rooms for people who don't currently - which means there is an excess of available rooms they want to fill right now.

If it succeeds, however, and the rooms are full, then I could see them raising the prices on the rooms.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #56
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I don't think Disney would raise prices for this - at least not right away. If they do this, this is to entice people to book Deluxe rooms for people who don't currently - which means there is an excess of available rooms they want to fill right now.

If it succeeds, however, and the rooms are full, then I could see them raising the prices on the rooms.
And there is no additional cost for giving out FP+ it is like fake money (well no cost if one ignores the billion plus dollars to kick it off, but let's assume they recoup that through other ways).
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: