Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
jbuckent
DIS Veteran

Do you use your fish extender at home

I've run out of time to make my own and the one I love on Etsy is $50 which doesn't seem reasonable for its one week use. So can anyone justify me spending the money, or should I be hanging the brown paper bag. LOL
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Night Owl
Earning My Ears

I made ours & cursed at it a lot. It was a lot of work to embroider all the pockets & all the sewing & cutting it requires. If I was making them to sell, I'd probably charge 50 too. On Etsy you are paying for someone's hard work, time & talent. That said, I haven't figured out a way to use ours at home yet but I'm glad I made it. My kids really enjoyed the whole FE experience.

Try searching for duct tape FE on here. I saw one on my cruise (2 weeks ago) And it was really cute. Perhaps you could make one that way. Also another cute one I saw. Someone took dollar store zipper pencil pouches & sewed ribbon to the top & bottom of each one to link them together. Not sure if the zipper pouches would hold much if your FE group is large like ours was but it was a cute idea.
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
DCLDumbos
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuckent View Post
I've run out of time to make my own and the one I love on Etsy is $50 which doesn't seem reasonable for its one week use. So can anyone justify me spending the money, or should I be hanging the brown paper bag. LOL
I have been wondering the same thing. Plus, I want to learn where and how to make magnets for my stateroom door. If anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
DCLDumbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
DCLDumbos
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
I made ours & cursed at it a lot. It was a lot of work to embroider all the pockets & all the sewing & cutting it requires. If I was making them to sell, I'd probably charge 50 too. On Etsy you are paying for someone's hard work, time & talent. That said, I haven't figured out a way to use ours at home yet but I'm glad I made it. My kids really enjoyed the whole FE experience.

Try searching for duct tape FE on here. I saw one on my cruise (2 weeks ago) And it was really cute. Perhaps you could make one that way. Also another cute one I saw. Someone took dollar store zipper pencil pouches & sewed ribbon to the top & bottom of each one to link them together. Not sure if the zipper pouches would hold much if your FE group is large like ours was but it was a cute idea.
Duct tape idea sounds awesome! Not to mention, easy to make.
DCLDumbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
jbuckent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
I made ours & cursed at it a lot. It was a lot of work to embroider all the pockets & all the sewing & cutting it requires. If I was making them to sell, I'd probably charge 50 too. On Etsy you are paying for someone's hard work, time & talent.
I would agree its a decent price to charge for the item, its just not a price I want to pay for something I will use for one week. If I were convinced we would be cruising again and want to do FE again and again I'd justify it, but we don't plan on cruising next year. I'd need some other use, or I need to spend less. So far it sounds like spend less is my option.
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Yes...I'm looking at it right now. In my home office I have it on the wall next to my desk. I throw all kind of things in it. Right now there is a birthday invitation, some coupons, shopping list, an index card I keep on restaurants I want to visit when hubby says "where should we go eat?"

Chapstick, hand lotion and some FE gifts I received that I love looking at.

I love it!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
disbridebailey
Earning My Ears

Sorry but I guess I don't understand the exact purpose for FE on the cruise. Can someone elaborate?
Disney Planning Session: Sept 1-9, 2011
Disney Christmas Vacation: December 26, 2011 - Jan 2, 2012
Our Fairytale Disney Wedding: April 1-10, 2012
Married at Disney: April 5, 2012

Our Disney Anniversary Cruise May 11-18, 2013
Disney trip: May 9-21, 2013
Pre-Trip Planning Thread
disbridebailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
cruzisme
Earning My Ears

Directions for making magnets is greatly appreciated!

Think it is a good idea but don't know how do them at home,
Thanks
cruzisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

We have ours hanging up in our kitchen. If the mail comes when the other spouse isn't home, we put their mail in their respective pocket. We also leave each other little gifts and notes every so often. In my family, my DH is the full time student and I'm the bread winner, so his "Honey-Do" list for the week goes in his pocket. The Fish Extender doesn't have to end just because the cruise does!

Belated Honeymoon at Disneyland October 2011
Disney Wonder California Coast Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2013 with Sam's DF, DSM, and DB's 11, 8, and 5
SamandWill1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzisme View Post
Directions for making magnets is greatly appreciated!

Think it is a good idea but don't know how do them at home,
Thanks
Hi cruzisme! I'm no help at all with the magnets. If you can believe this..I actually paid for someone here to do my magnets for me.

I can't copy and paste from my computer here, but there are threads here all about magnets. I hope someone can post here those threads.

So, I paid someone for my FE and I paid someone for my magnets and I can't copy and paste. I'm a winner eh? I did however, make my fish exchanger gifts myself!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

We made our FE from duct tape and tyvek envelopes, and it was fun to make, and durable too! Now that we have been back for a couple weeks, we hang it in the closet from a skirt hanger and use it for hairbrushes and hair clips, etc. My DS uses the very bottom pocket for his toy cars.

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

The DBF and I are just going to get one of those over the door organizers and modify it to use as a FE. I believe it will take us a couple of hours to fix up and we aren't really crafty people to begin with.

If you have an Ikea in your area check this out http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20215764/ Unfortuantely you can't order it online but if you have an Ikea close it would be a quick stop.

Walmart has another option. It is a jewelry storage and you could use the stocking side of it to hold your FE gifts. It can be found here http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-...ndingMethod=rr

Target also has a few options as well
http://www.target.com/p/handbag-file...anging+storage

http://www.target.com/p/household-es...anging+storage

I feel like everything posted above could easily be fixed up to become a FE. If you can't order online then check the storage section of your local retailer. Something will spark your interest.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

We just recently made a Disney Cruise wall. We hung our FE, a bunch of our cruise photos, Mickey ears, and a memorabilia box with cruise things. The wall looks great and reminds us how fortunate we have been to experience a Disney cruise. If I could figure out how to post a photo, I would.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
SueEllen
Proud Iced Tea Snob
Laughs when thinking
Olga Tickaboomskya

I made mine myself, and yes I use it here at home. I spent too much time and effort to make it to not use it. I use it basically as a mail sorter. It hangs in my office.

Sue Ellen
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

You might want to check out the ones on ebay too.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: