Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
AuroraRora
Princess

Talking Spontaneous solo trip in 3 weeks!

I'm so excited!!!

I'd been hoping to get to visit WDW next week on a tentative last-minute work trip to FL, but yesterday the work trip was postponed indefinitely. Although it was uncertain if I'd have been able to take a few days to go to Orlando, I was still really disappointed. Then I got to thinking... I'm planning to get an AP when I go on my May trip. What if I got my AP pass a little early, could the savings on the May trip free up enough $$ for a quick trip in between now and then? YES! . Once I got the idea in my head I just ran with it, looking things up last night, and this morning as soon as I got up, I called and booked a 3-day trip at the beginning of March. Given that I was planning to pay for my AP in May anyway, the numbers work out so that even though I'm adding another trip, all I'm really paying extra for is my $200 flight I've been on Cloud 9 all day, I'm SO excited. The CM I got on the Reservations line was awesome too and just hyped me up even more. Now as well as my phone app ticker saying 76 days, there's one next to it saying 19 days

I think it's probably too late for booking ADR's or tours etc, but that's ok - this is just a low budget getaway treat until my May trip. I'm just so happy to be back in the World in 19 days with a dole whip and a gran marnier slushie!!!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
undchefreak
Mouseketeer

I was able to book a lunchtime adr at Chefs de France at 10:00 for noon the same day, so it's never too late.

1st Disney Visit - DL 1991 stayed with family (as a child)
1999 May Pop Movies
2009 May DW Offsite
2012 Sept Coronodo
2013 new DVC member!
2013 Jan Split stay SSR and OKW
2013 Oct DL at VGC
2014 Jan OKW
undchefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
singastory
Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!!

Jealous! My next trip isn't until early next year, but it's a doozie. 9 nights, hoping to rent DVC points. However, I have some free time in either March or April coming up, and I'm starting to think about whether I want to subtract a night or two from the January trip to make a last minute trip down this year.... Hmmmmmmm

singastory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by singastory
Jealous! My next trip isn't until early next year, but it's a doozie. 9 nights, hoping to rent DVC points. However, I have some free time in either March or April coming up, and I'm starting to think about whether I want to subtract a night or two from the January trip to make a last minute trip down this year.... Hmmmmmmm
:rotlf2: I hear ya! My May trip was originally 9 nights but I felt too antsy about being away from work that long, so I shaved it down to 6 nights. But I made sure the CM explained their changing-reservations policies to me very clearly, in case I wanted to add my days back on.... y'know.... just in case *shifty eyes*

I'm curious about DVC points too, I'm a little wary of it just because of the fact it's handled privately and things, but I'd LOVE to be able to switch out my Value resort for somewhere like AKL for similar pricing!!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
ckelly14
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
...but I'd LOVE to be able to switch out my Value resort for somewhere like AKL for similar pricing!!
I would consider the pricing of a DVC villa closer to a moderate resort than a value. For example, a standard view studio at AKL will cost either 16 or 18 points per day during that time frame (weekday vs. weekend), with most points to rent between 11 and 13 $/point. Also, you have to do a lot more work to find the right deal, and you would generally need to plan much farther in advance.

You do get a full kitchen and generally more space.
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

I always hear about renting DVC but never seem to find it cheaper or close to same price. For example. I can do Thurs-Sun night at POR for $600. But renting points for AKL for same days is $850. That's not the same as a moderate to me. Am I doing it wrong?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
ckelly14
Lurker

I just looked at the beginning of march, and POR was 220 per night. I like your prices better! Either way, it's more expensive than a value resort, which was original point....
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by singastory View Post
Hi Singastory, I'll be at WDW this April (2013) and if you do get over there around that time, maybe we could meet for a meal somewhere in the range April 13 - 19, if you'd like some company!
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Talking

Hope you have a great time, but for the record, to me, spontaneous means that I got up this morning and all of a sudden decided to jump in the car and drive to Orlando.

Yours sounds like a long range planned trip.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
I always hear about renting DVC but never seem to find it cheaper or close to same price. For example. I can do Thurs-Sun night at POR for $600. But renting points for AKL for same days is $850. That's not the same as a moderate to me. Am I doing it wrong?
I own two DVC contracts and have rented out my points. If you are concerned you could rent though someone on Ebay that way you can see feed back about the person.

POR is a moderate resort and the cash price is lower for staying there. At POR you will only get a very very small fridge no microwave.

Where as AKL is a deluxe resort and is a high cash price. With DVC points for a stay at a DVC resort you will get either a kitchenette (mini fridge-bigger than the ones at the POR/ microwave/toaster/coffee maker) in a studio room. Or a full size kitchen in a one or two bedroom. So that is the difference in the pricing.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 02-17-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
singastory
Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuck001 View Post
Hi Singastory, I'll be at WDW this April (2013) and if you do get over there around that time, maybe we could meet for a meal somewhere in the range April 13 - 19, if you'd like some company!
Hi there! Unfortunately my free time doesn't start until after your trip is over. Thanks for the offer and I hope you have an awesome time!

singastory is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: