Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
TygerHawks
Mouseketeer

Fly or Drive

So I am in the drive or fly dilemma and can't determine what would be best. Driving would be 17 hours, driving from Waco, TX, in a PT Cruiser that averages maybe 20mpg. There are four of us, including a 14 year old son and 4 year old daughter. Flight would cost about $1200 and I think gas for the drive could be in the $450-600 range.

Any tips or suggestions?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

I prefer to fly...DH can't take off 2 weeks at a time can only max do a week( I think he thinks his office would fall apart without him ) With that being said we like to get to our destination fast and start the fun....

But if driving doesn't bother you or DH, then drive. Factor in meals, and will you stop over somewhere for the night.
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

That's really up to you. The economics of it may be a wash where you are, considering how long the drive is. But even if it's less expensive to drive, consider how much you're willing to pay to avoid such a long drive. Consider how much it costs to park at the airport each day of your trip. Consider the cost of a rental car if you really like to have a vehicle with you.

Finally, consider the "door to door" time. For a drive that long, it's hard to imagine the "door to door" time of flying would be anywhere close to how long it would be driving. In my scenario though, with about 11.5 hours driving time, it would certainly be less expensive for me to drive unless a crazy airline deal came out (like $200 or less r/t tickets), even if gas was $4/gallon. Also, I live anywhere from 90 minutes to 3 hours from nearest major airports. That factor, added to having to be at the airport so long before flights now and layover waits for non-direct flights, means that "door to door" time for us, even with a 11.5 hour drive is often about the same for driving or often even less than flying. So it's usually a no-brainer for us to drive.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Figure on losing half a day in each direction if you fly, or 1.5 in each direction if you drive. Essentially you save 2 days total if you fly. Is that worth the added expense? Only you can decide.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
TygerHawks
Mouseketeer

I know driving would be cheaper. I suppose my hiccup is the unexpected possibilities such as a breakdown and well....two kids on such a long drive.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

People are all making good points to consider here. I'll just add that flying is safer than driving.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
peabody58
I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

Tongue in Cheek response....

As a child of the 60's/70's, our family of 4 kids drove everywhere with no A/C!! It built character, strong bladders and great observation skills playing road games. It was great seeing how long dad would drive on 'empty' until mom would finally lose it.

DW and I enjoy our 18 hr drive to WDW. Road trips are an adventure and should be embraced whenever possible. Aside from the extra time and wear and tear on the car, driving sves money hands down for us. We enjoy having the car when on vacation and can easily make trips to the store as needed.

It's been almost 4 yrs since we last flew, and since then air fare costs have almost tripled, where-as driving costs have remained static.

Either way, enjoy the journey and your vacation.

DL 66-68; Off-site: 77/90/91; POR 92/94; BC 8/99; WL 3/10; BLT 9/10; SSR 12/10; OKW 5/11; BLT 9/11; HHI 4/12; BLT 10/12; WBC 4/13; AKL-K/BCV 9/13; VB/VGF 9/14
peabody58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerHawks View Post
I know driving would be cheaper. I suppose my hiccup is the unexpected possibilities such as a breakdown and well....two kids on such a long drive.
There's also the potential for a hiccup with major delays at the airport. If you're flying out of Dallas in the Spring, plan on weather delays. I've spent WAY too much time stuck in Dallas
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody58 View Post
It was great seeing how long dad would drive on 'empty' until mom would finally lose it.

Quote:
Road trips are an adventure and should be embraced whenever possible.
+1

There is something to be said for the great American adventure.

You should do the drive with the kids once, just to do it (and torture them ). It will definitely lock in some memories.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's been almost 4 yrs since we last flew, and since then air fare costs have almost tripled, where-as driving costs have remained static.
What??

Gas prices in February 2009 averaged $1.86 a gallon (gasbuddy.com). This past Monday (Feb. 11), the average national price was $3.59. Hardly a static cost. Add in increased costs for running a car (servicing, tires, initial purchase cost, etc.), and you're paying a lot more to drive than you did four years ago.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
What??

Gas prices in February 2009 averaged $1.86 a gallon (gasbuddy.com). This past Monday (Feb. 11), the average national price was $3.59. Hardly a static cost. Add in increased costs for running a car (servicing, tires, initial purchase cost, etc.), and you're paying a lot more to drive than you did four years ago.

Gas prices were low very, very, very temporarily early in 2009 after the economy tanked. It was a pretty narrow window
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Gas prices were low very, very, very temporarily early in 2009 after the economy tanked. It was a pretty narrow window
In 2009, the national average price for a tank of gas was $2.35. I used the figure for February 2009 because that was 4 years ago. The point is still the same; the price of driving certainly has not remained static for the past 4 years.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
In 2009, the national average price for a tank of gas was $2.35. I used the figure for February 2009 because that was 4 years ago. The point is still the same; the price of driving certainly has not remained static for the past 4 years.
No, you're right it's not stagnant and it's never been higher this time of year than what it is now. That is true
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

We drove with the kids (then 9, 4 & 1) once for our 13 hour drive. We picked the older one up after school and headed out. The drive down wasn't bad at all. The kids were well behaved, traffic was pretty good. We stopped around Valdosta, Ga around midnight. The kids had been asleep for a couple hours.

Of course, after their "nap", when we got them up to get into the hotel, they were wound back up. It took another hour or so to settle them back down. The next morning, the remaining three hour drive took us 5. We couldn't get the bathroom breaks synchronized. We'd stop, someone would say they didn't 'need to go', everyone else would, we'd get on the road for another 30 minutes and the one who didn't need to go now needed to go.

The drive back just seemed like forever. The kids weren't as well behaved, traffic seemed worse, and there was nothing to "look forward to".

I'll fly every chance I get.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
The next morning, the remaining three hour drive took us 5. We couldn't get the bathroom breaks synchronized. We'd stop, someone would say they didn't 'need to go', everyone else would, we'd get on the road for another 30 minutes and the one who didn't need to go now needed to go.
The first rule of the road trip - when one person needs to go, EVERYONE goes!

Sometimes we plan fun stuff along the way on the trip home that we passed up on our way TO our destination. Even if it's just killing an hour at a Bass Pro somewhere along the way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: