Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakville View Post
That's why I am thinking a cop MIGHT not do anything if they pull a Canadian over.

However you might expect a rental company to ask for an IDP but I have not seen any story where the rental company did not give you a car because you did not have an IDP.

So I think it is probably not the biggest deal to not have one but nevertheless I will probably get one.

I totally agree. For those of us heading down and need to drive, I think we should get one. However, it doesn't seem like it is something that they are cracking down on.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #32
mtmbyck
I AM Canadian eh!

I am a government worker and we were advised today that we must have them if travelling on business. We leave in less than 3 weeks for vacation. I called Budget and they had never heard of it. The car rental places won't care immediately as they still get your cash and can you imagine the people that wont have it given the poor communication on this. But the reality is that if you are pulled over or have to deal with the police, it will be as if you did not have a licence to drive in their state.

I see it as a total cash grab which seems to be coming from CAA/AAA. Both drivers have to have it AND it is only valid for a year so you will have to get one (or 2 in my case) every year you go.

Please post back on timing for getting it and where you can go. I'll be trying to get mine this weekend. i needed this like a hole in the head!!
mtmbyck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #33
jadephoenixx
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmbyck View Post
Please post back on timing for getting it and where you can go. I'll be trying to get mine this weekend. i needed this like a hole in the head!!
The only place you can get an IDP in Canada is through CAA (you don't have to be a member). On the CAA South Central Ontario site, they say it can be done in 15 mins. I would expect it to be the same at other CAA offices.
jadephoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

I'm not sure anybody knows, but what is this permit providing that the regular license isn't? Looks to me like it is just the very same information. It really makes absolutely no sense. Is it just to validify that your license is a valid license? If you can fake a license, surely you can fake an international permit, lol.

One strange question on the form is State vehicle(s) for which IDP is required. How are you supposed to answer that for a rental?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #35
pigletto
DIS Veteran

This is a quote from the author of the TripWheels article listed in this thread..
Quote:
Update* we had hoped that perhaps there might be a ‘grace period’ or leniency shown given that many tourists will be already in Florida and unaware of the new rules. We have received a response from Florida law enforcement on this subject which ends that hope:

Law enforcement is there to enforce the laws, we are not selective nor can we disregard the law.
So there's that. They aren't pulling people over but have the authority to fine or jail you if you are stopped or in an accident. Never mind the technical ramifications of getting in an accident and being considered to have no license to drive legally in Florida. That's scary.
I'm getting it so I don't have to think about the what if's or possibilities and I would advise others to do the same. It's not a CAA cash grab .. it's Florida law.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #36
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I'm not sure anybody knows, but what is this permit providing that the regular license isn't? Looks to me like it is just the very same information. It really makes absolutely no sense. Is it just to validify that your license is a valid license? If you can fake a license, surely you can fake an international permit, lol.

One strange question on the form is State vehicle(s) for which IDP is required. How are you supposed to answer that for a rental?
They are basically considered a translation of your license into the official language of the State or country you are driving in which makes sense when Canadians rent cars overseas for example. But in this case what has everyone so ticked off is that it is a translation of an English license into ..English.

It's redundant (as the CAA website actually said themselves) but necessary apparently.

I don't know about those forms. I'll report back what they tell me at CAA tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
sympatico
DIS Veteran

I live 3 hours away from a CAA office. I'm going to Florida on the 24th. I can't mail anything because there isn't time to get it back (3 weeks by mail). I'm just wondering if they can give you one if you go into their office. If so it means a trip to Halifax sometime next week which along with costing $25. for the application plus photo cost, it will cost us $100 to make the trip to get an English translation of an English driver's license. What a load of crap.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #38
Disfanx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico
I live 3 hours away from a CAA office. I'm going to Florida on the 24th. I can't mail anything because there isn't time to get it back (3 weeks by mail). I'm just wondering if they can give you one if you go into their office. If so it means a trip to Halifax sometime next week which along with costing $25. for the application plus photo cost, it will cost us $100 to make the trip to get an English translation of an English driver's license. What a load of crap.
They say it is processed in 15 minutes in the CAA office
Disfanx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #39
tribus121
DIS Veteran

I am going to have to ask some of my Truck driving buddies as Florida state law all so states that they reconise Canadian CDL ( Commercial DL ) i HAVE ONE OF THOSE .
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #40
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

There's nothing about it on the snowbirds.org website. I'm going to give them a call and see what they suggest for my snowbird parents who are in Florida now.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #41
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip

the Florida law just made CAA lots of money. I can totally see them cashing in on this and the cost rising year after year

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #42
maryliz
The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Bloat Fairy DROOLs!
(the tag fairy rules, too!)

WOW ... so the state of Florida can make up a law, NOT tell anyone about it, and then ENFORCE it ??? Many snowbirds have been there since October, and does anyone else find it strange that we've seen nothing in the media about this? What about all those unfortunate people out there that AREN'T Dis'ers?

And I'm confused how a NON-government agency like CAA can issue paperwork to satisfy someone else's government agency ??? CAA doesn't have any records to prove that my drivers licence is valid, or anything of the sort.

CAA is definitely making money here ... guess it's time to contact my MPP ... oh wait, they're not even working yet are they?

And here I thought I'd heard some of THE stupidest things going ... this one just moved to the top of the list.

Me DH DD DS
maryliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #43
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear0222 View Post
the Florida law just made CAA lots of money. I can totally see them cashing in on this and the cost rising year after year

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
You know.. I hadn't thought of that really. You're right. It's now required and hence forth will get more expensive every year. I wouldn't be surprised.

This is all making me cranky. I need to go to bed.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #44
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcDISer View Post
Since January 1, 31, Florida is requiring all non-US residents to carry an International Driving Permit. Many car renting locations may require it too.

You can find a copy of this law on the CAA website or on the State of Florida's website.

I don't have enough posts to be able to paste a working link. Another posted could do it.
Thanks for the heads up....off to CAA to get my permit.

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #45
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I just saw a news flash from CP24.

it says, Florida Law now Requires Canadians to have International Driving Permit.

I guess everyone will know about it now.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: