Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Oakville
Earning My Ears

That's just ridiculous.

As if the Florida's cops have never seen an Ontario driver's license. I am sure they have seen more of those than a driver's license from Montana.

I can understand it for driver's licences that one can't read but come on...
Oakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
alohamom
DIS Veteran

What the heck?!?!? That is just nuts! PLEASE anyone who is going down in the next few weeks post back and relate your experience, if any, with this!!! I want to know if the rental counters are enforcing this
alohamom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
Maybe you could let us know
I guess we'd better get one just incase.
Anyone know if it's just Florida?
I will let you know for sure. There's nothing on my local CAA website, but it's still pretty new so I am going to go in and stay until they look into for me. I'll report back
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
I will let you know for sure. There's nothing on my local CAA website, but it's still pretty new so I am going to go in and stay until they look into for me. I'll report back
Thanks.
It's expensive here too. Only 5.50 in the UK, which is about $8.50. CAA is $25. And they only last a year? Surely they should at least last the length of your driving license?

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks.
It's expensive here too. Only 5.50 in the UK, which is about $8.50. CAA is $25. And they only last a year? Surely they should at least last the length of your driving license?
Yep. Plus the cost of two passport photos. Plus double the fees if both you and your partner need one and an extra special fee if you want to do it by mail instead of in office
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
jadephoenixx
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamom View Post
What the heck?!?!? That is just nuts! PLEASE anyone who is going down in the next few weeks post back and relate your experience, if any, with this!!! I want to know if the rental counters are enforcing this
It's not the rental companies enforcing this that I'm concerned about. If indeed this is a new law and it isn't changed before we leave in April, I'm more worried about being pulled over by the cops or getting into an accident and not having the the proper licences...then that's when the real trouble will start. I think this is a stupid law, especially for Canadians where driving in the U.S. is the same as in Canada, but for peace of mind, I'd spend the $25 for the IDP. Let's see what happens over the next couple of months.

Last edited by jadephoenixx; 02-13-2013 at 08:24 PM.
jadephoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadephoenixx View Post
It's not the rental companies enforcing this that I'm concerned about. If indeed this is a new law and it isn't changed before we leave in April, I'm more worried about being pulled over by the cops or geting into an accident and not having the the proper licences...then that's when the real trouble will start. I think this is a stupid law, especially for Canadians where driving in the U.S. is the same as in Canada, but for peace of mind, I'd spend the $25 for the IDP. Let's see what happens over the next couple of months.
Agreed. The one article posted earlier in this thread said the author reached out to the Florida authorities who said there will be NO grace period on this law. So I'm going to get it one way or another. Probably the only thing more annoying than having to get it is standing there trying to convince the CAA agent that I have to have it.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone know if you can get one actually in the CAA office? i.e. processed while you wait.
From the CAA Southern Ontario site:

If you visit a CAA South Central Ontario Store, we can process the application for you in approximately 15 minutes. If your IDP is being mailed, you should allow at least three weeks for the IDP to reach you.

I went to get passport photos at Costco today but their camera was broken, so I'll try again tomorrow and report back.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
yxe dad
DIS Veteran

This may be a stupid question, but could a non-Florida resident get a Florida DL?
The IDL is only valid for a year and it may be cheaper to get a Florida DL.
upcoming - May 2014 - 40th B-Day Trip
yxe dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanospops View Post

If you visit a CAA South Central Ontario Store, we can process the application for you in approximately 15 minutes. If your IDP is being mailed, you should allow at least three weeks for the IDP to reach you.

I went to get passport photos at Costco today but their camera was broken, so I'll try again tomorrow and report back.
If I recall correctly it also said you could have the passport photos done at the CAA office and it was a little cheaper for members so you could get them there as well in one visit
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
yxe dad
DIS Veteran

This may be a stupid question, but could a non-Florida resident get a Florida DL?
The IDL is only valid for a year and it may be cheaper to get a Florida DL.
upcoming - May 2014 - 40th B-Day Trip
yxe dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #27
Disfanx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto

Yes it is only florida
Disfanx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanospops View Post

Thanks.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #29
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

My parents have been down there since the beginning of January, driving their car with Ontario plates. They haven't heard anything about this new law, so it isn't like Canadians are being pulled over left, right and centre. I'm wondering how many enforcement officers and rental agencies are even aware?
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
Oakville
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
My parents have been down there since the beginning of January, driving their car with Ontario plates. They haven't heard anything about this new law, so it isn't like Canadians are being pulled over left, right and centre.
That's why I am thinking a cop MIGHT not do anything if they pull a Canadian over.

However you might expect a rental company to ask for an IDP but I have not seen any story where the rental company did not give you a car because you did not have an IDP.

So I think it is probably not the biggest deal to not have one but nevertheless I will probably get one.
Oakville is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: