Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
QcDISer
Earning My Ears

Heads up for Canadian drivers in Florida

Since January 1, 31, Florida is requiring all non-US residents to carry an International Driving Permit. Many car renting locations may require it too.

You can find a copy of this law on the CAA website or on the State of Florida's website.

I don't have enough posts to be able to paste a working link. Another posted could do it.
QcDISer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the heads up! I found several sites but here is a link from the Florida Department of Highway Safety: http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/idp.html

Also, here is info on the visitflorida site: http://www.visitflorida.com/uk/artic...sked-questions

Here is the text found about halfway down the above page:

Take note if you reside outside the United States and will be visiting Florida as of January 1, 2013. A nonresident must have in their possession an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by their country of residence and a valid license from that country. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The IDP must be in the customer's name and from their country of residence. Again, this permit is only to be shown in conjunction with a valid driver license issued from the visitor's country, not as a substitute. Contact the authorities in your country who issued your driver's license, or the motoring association there, to find out how to obtain an IDP. A listing of associations in foreign countries authorized to issue an IDP is provided for your reference, courtesy of the American Automobile Association (AAA).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

For some reason I keep searching for more information and here is another link confirming the change which I think is a good read: http://news.tripwheels.com/2013/02/1...d-for-florida/

Here is a link from CAA, the only place in Canada where you can get an INternational Driver's Permit. You don't need to be a member to get one: http://www.caasco.com/Travel/Travel-...rs-Permit.aspx
Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

Is this for Quebec issued Drivers Licenses only ... I only see reference of this on
Quebec's CAA site.

http://travel.caaquebec.com/en/trave...ng-permit.html
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

This might explain it.

" Where is the CAA IDP valid?

In all the countries that signed the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic. In addition, many other countries which are not signatories to the Convention recognize the IDP and accept it in their territories.

IDP's issued by CAA are only valid outside North America with the exception of IPDs that are used for translation purposes. Some States in the U.S.A. require an IDP as an official translation of a French drivers licence
."

see

https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/travel/before-you-go/idp
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

Ted In Halifax - I suggest you take a look at the link from the tripwheels.com site. They spoke with a Florida Sheriff and the law applies to all non-US citizens with no exceptions and no grace period. The site is based in the UK but they speak English so you would think they wouldn't need it to translate the licence.

This completely caught me off guard as we leave in two and a half weeks. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Thanks OP. I had no idea about this until reading your post.

FYI, I am cutting and pasting an excerpt from the Alberta Motor Association (CAA) website with respect to this (hope this is within the rules). The full webpage is at:

http://www.ama.ab.ca/travel/internat...riving-permit-

================================

What else you need to know...

The IDP must be issued at a CAA office in Canada and cannot be obtained or renewed elsewhere. Once issued, the IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue, providing your Canadian licence is valid for the duration of your trip. Your valid Canadian provincial driver's licence must accompany the IDP at all times. An IDP cannot be post-dated, extended or renewed and a new application form must be completed each time a new IDP is required. Traceable methods for delivery are recommended. An additional fee will be applied for registered mail and courier service.

Effective January 1, 2013, travellers that wish to drive in Florida without obtaining a Florida driver license will be required to have an International Driving Permit to accompany their out of country license. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The International Driving Permit must be in the customer’s name and from their country of residence.

Why did the law change?
The purpose of the permit is for the English translation. Obviously, a license issued in Canada and other English speaking countries is already written in English so the permit is admittedly a little redundant but that is technically the law at this point.

What will happen to a driver who drives without an IDP?
Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid license and if stopped, law enforcement has the option of 1/ arresting the driver and taking him/her to jail 2/ giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance.

Last edited by Maddysdaddy; 02-13-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

This should make things just a little bit crazy at the car rental counters, don't you think?

Anyone see anything mentioned when they check their reservations? I would think the major rental firms will have alerts that pop up advising customers they need this extra licence.

And indeed, I'm surprised that that industry didn't see the ramifications of such broad language and majorly lobby against the legislation.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

I've got parents that winter down in Florida. This is certainly the first I've heard of it. I'll make sure to inform them. Thanks for the heads up. There are going to be a lot of people that this affects. Looks like it will cost $25 plus you have to have passport photos taken as well for it to be processed.

What do I need to obtain an IDP?
You can only apply for an IDP if you are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid Canadian provincial driver's license. An IDP cannot be issued for learner's permits, provisional or suspended licenses and any type of vehicle not presently covered by the same provincial driver's license. Additionally, you will require:

Two passport-sized photos. NOTE - computer generated scanned images are not accepted. At CAA South Central Ontario Stores, black-and-white or colour photos are available for $9.50 (member price) or $12.50 (non-member price); taxes not included and prices subject to change. One picture is attached to the IDP, the other is attached to the application form;
An IDP payment of $25. This fee can be paid by cash, debit, Visa, MasterCard or American Express;
Signed and completed IDP application form. These forms can be completed in person at any CAA store
Mailed Applications: Please provide a valid email address to be used if we need to contact you.
If you are unable to visit a CAA Store, you may print out a copy of the application form and, once it is completed and signed, mail it to your local CAA Store along with your passport-sized photos, fee payment (credit card payment only, if applying by mail) and a photocopy of the front and back of your valid Canadian provincial driver's license.

If applying by mail, please be aware that CAA prefers to send IDPs by registered mail, thus an additional charge of $6.75 for Canadian addresses or $13.70 for international addresses may be added (prices subject to change).

Here is the link to the form you must fill out: http://www.caa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IDP-en.pdf
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
tgropp
DIS Veteran

I just got back yesterday and rented a car before and after a cruise. Did not get asked for anything.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

We just emailed our TA and she confirmed they received this info this week.

My parents are driving down next week. I hope they can get one in time...My DH will also have to get one before we leave.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Anyone know if you can get one actually in the CAA office? i.e. processed while you wait.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
Anyone know if you can get one actually in the CAA office? i.e. processed while you wait.
Well I'll let you know tomorrow because we leave next Friday so we're going to need to go get it.
This really annoys me. There is NO purpose to it. The license is already in English and has been acceptable for decades. All of a sudden this is a matter of importance? I don't think my eyes can roll any further into my head.

Passport renewals are going through the roof, extra insurance to travel out of country, passport photos, and now an International Driving Permit to translate something from English to English? You have to be kidding me.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
This should make things just a little bit crazy at the car rental counters, don't you think?

Anyone see anything mentioned when they check their reservations? I would think the major rental firms will have alerts that pop up advising customers they need this extra licence.

And indeed, I'm surprised that that industry didn't see the ramifications of such broad language and majorly lobby against the legislation.
Yep, if car rental places have to start enforcing this it certainly will be crazy!
You know how stressed people get at those counters now already! I can't imagine how this is going to go down if people start getting refused!!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Well I'll let you know tomorrow because we leave next Friday so we're going to need to go get it.
This really annoys me. There is NO purpose to it. The license is already in English and has been acceptable for decades. All of a sudden this is a matter of importance? I don't think my eyes can roll any further into my head.

Passport renewals are going through the roof, extra insurance to travel out of country, passport photos, and now an International Driving Permit to translate something from English to English? You have to be kidding me.
Maybe you could let us know
I guess we'd better get one just incase.
Anyone know if it's just Florida?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: